SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

33 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

This was built here in GF for around 15 million I believe.

http://www.gfparks.org/parks-facilities/arenas-athletic-complexes/icon

Need to fix the link, I was going to mention this but didn't take the time to look it up. The Icon is really a great facility, love the floor plan.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Need to fix the link, I was going to mention this but didn't take the time to look it up. The Icon is really a great facility, love the floor plan.

Thanks, everytime I try to copy and paste a new link it says there is a problem?? Not sure why. Everyone just Google Icon Sports Center. Beautiful facility.

10 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

If 20 million is the price tag, then they should send a group up to Moorhead and out to Minot, not sure about North Dakota's legislature, but I would be you could get a state bonding bill to help pay for something like this in Moorhead. Moorhead state may have shelved plans for D-1 hockey for now, but they haven't scrapped them. Still, if the price tag is that low, this is the kind of thing that could be a boon to schools that are on the fence about expanding. Create an option to replace the Figure skating rink and an Olympic sheet with conference rooms and ballroom space or an auditorium, and you have an attractive convention center.

If I was building this, in that 3rd large space area I would put a hockey dryland training facility and a bar & restaurant/curling facility (if you've been to Fogerty arena in Blaine you can see what I envision there).  If not that then it would be a third sheet of ice.  I'd also make sure there was plenty of locker room space.  A permanent locker rooms for the anchor tenant.  Coach's offices in the home locker room as well as an A/V meeting area for team meetings and film discussion and a trainers room.  A main visitor locker room and 6 other locker rooms with access to shower facilities (think two locker rooms sharing one shower/bathroom facility in between them).  Optional would be two main locker rooms, one for a college/junior team and one for the local high school team.  Suppose I would need a girls HS locker room too.  Whatever the needs there would be ample locker room space and ample storage space.  I've been to too many places that have cramped/inadequate locker rooms and have space wasted on other things that are not important.

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Icon is really nice.  I especially like the locker rooms.  Plenty of nice large locker rooms.  The fitness area is a huge plus.  The concourse does have a lot of wasted space though and there is a lot of money spent on concrete in that concourse area with the steps and circular area that amounts to money spent without adding too much to the functionality of the facility.  Yes, there is plenty of space for large crowds to move around but you still have choke points at the entrances to the two arenas and to the upper lounge area.  Plus there could be more seating in the arenas to accommodate larger events.  600 seats fill up pretty quick.  All in all though, I'd certainly take that facility in my community as is.

7 hours ago, Cratter said:

Speaking of Icon, the rumor is the women's hockey team is going to play there next year (if they have a team).

I've also heard the REA/UND is making moves to guarantee there won't be any conflicts with the High School state tourney.  So we're going to increase WIH expenses by moving them to a rented facility?  Hopefully REA is able to book more concerts, weddings, etc. for a net gain.

48 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I've also heard the REA/UND is making moves to guarantee there won't be any conflicts with the High School state tourney.  So we're going to increase WIH expenses by moving them to a rented facility?  Hopefully REA is able to book more concerts, weddings, etc. for a net gain.

I wouldn't doubt it would save money to rent the Icon vs open and run the REA for a women's hockey game.

1 hour ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

I don't think so... there are several women's teams who don't play in the same barn as the men's team.

Didn't they just upgrade the women's locker room at REA?  And have you seen the locker rooms at ICON?

Not saying I agree that there is ultimately a violation, but I think a move (on the surface, at least) will look very, very bad.  Facilities do matter, and UND isn't exactly dripping with cash to remedy the situation at ICON.  Moreover, is GF Parks willing to lose an entire locker room in their busy youth facility to UND?

56 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Didn't they just upgrade the women's locker room at REA?  And have you seen the locker rooms at ICON?

Not saying I agree that there is ultimately a violation, but I think a move (on the surface, at least) will look very, very bad.  Facilities do matter, and UND isn't exactly dripping with cash to remedy the situation at ICON.  Moreover, is GF Parks willing to lose an entire locker room in their busy youth facility to UND?

How about if you tell the NCAA it is either that or drop the program.

14 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Title IX is not the NCAA.

Title IX is Federal law. Call your Congressman. 

Good luck with that the women's sports lobby and feminist lobby kills any attempt to reform Title IX. Nevermind how much the data shows there are fewer female athletes than male athletes, or how women's sports almost all lose revenue.

56 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

*sigh* seeing the AF team do so well this year makes me wish they would just trade spots with Huntsville. It makes sense regionally and would make the WCHA stronger. Alas there are roadblocks to such a move. 

AF should stay with Atlantic Hockey.  It's smart for them to be a top dog in AH.  In the WCHA they will be going up against slightly tougher teams and may not make the tournament again.