SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

According to this article WCHA is actively pursuing Arizona State with the NCHC taking a let them get their plan in place first. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/blog/sports-business/2014/12/wcha-courts-arizona-states-hockey-program.html

Zero Chance they will joing the WCHA.  They're re not going to make the investment to add D1 hockey and be in a conference with the likes of Ferris State, Alabama Huntsville, and a couple Alaska schools.  The B10 could add them, but that is a long shot.  I think Fenton knows that the NCHC is secretly where they want to land, at least for the time being until a PAC12 conference is formed (if ever). 

Zero Chance they will joing the WCHA.  They're re not going to make the investment to add D1 hockey and be in a conference with the likes of Ferris State, Alabama Huntsville, and a couple Alaska schools.  The B10 could add them, but that is a long shot.  I think Fenton knows that the NCHC is secretly where they want to land, at least for the time being until a PAC12 conference is formed (if ever). 

I think Fenton is talking to Arizona State he's just not telling anyone he is.

I think Fenton is talking to Arizona State he's just not telling anyone he is.

President normally approve schools, not the commissioners. Robertson probably has authorization to talk with and offer west coast schools.

Miami and WMU might blackmail ASU though, as they don't seem to want a league spread out that much. But their President may think differently than their fans.

Never say never.

Zero Chance they will joing the WCHA. They're re not going to make the investment to add D1 hockey and be in a conference with the likes of Ferris State, Alabama Huntsville, and a couple Alaska schools. The B10 could add them, but that is a long shot. I think Fenton knows that the NCHC is secretly where they want to land, at least for the time being until a PAC12 conference is formed (if ever).

Have a sneaking suspicion that the Pig 10 lands them. The B1G needs more teams, needs more conference games, and helps cement the pac-b1g relationship.

r.l

Do you really see the B1G sharing revenue with the Pac 12?

BTHC revenue isn't that much. The BTN network might see a slight blip in Phoenix signups. If the Big 10 already has two of their own schools that have informally committed to hockey private, that might be a problem. Johns Hopkins didn't seem to be a problem. ASU isn't AAU, but the Big 10 will stretch the rules if it makes money and sense.

Exactly. One of the purposes of having a B1G hockey conference is to maximize TV and other revenues amongst B1G schools. Why would they allow an "outsider" in the door?

They don't want to share with little guys. They will gladly share with the rich PAC 12, who they shared the Rose Bowl for years. That's the essence of the P5, a rich U's club.

BTHC revenue isn't that much. The BTN network might see a slight blip in Phoenix signups. If the Big 10 already has two of their own schools that have informally committed to hockey private, that might be a problem. Johns Hopkins didn't seem to be a problem. ASU isn't AAU, but the Big 10 will stretch the rules if it makes money and sense.

From what I've heard there are no B1G schools looking to add hockey. If the B1G decides to add affiliate teams there have been Minnesota fans and Wisconsin fans wanting North Dakota and Denver added.

From what I've heard there are no B1G schools looking to add hockey. If the B1G decides to add affiliate teams there have been Minnesota fans and Wisconsin fans wanting North Dakota and Denver added.

The B1G will never lower its dignity to select such schools.  Could actually see the B1G offering both Ariz State and Alabama in hockey.  They don't want the NCHC or WCHA getting ahold of them.  A huge prize would be to offer Texas a spot:  Austin seems primed for college hockey with many corporate offices.  Homes games on the BTN for B1G teams, and away games on the SEC Network, PAC12 Network, or the Longhorn Network for the other teams.

The B1G strategically wants Texas some day (and may be Kansas and Oklahoma), if they can break up the Big 12.  Hockey can be a trial run.

Strange that NDSU fans are so butthurt over that piece of hockey history. They hate the idea that UND has a conference history with those schools plus Minnie and Sconie.

Bison fans? Butthurt? Seriously? C'mon, dude, it's been ALMOST THIRTY FIVE YEARS since Michigan, Michigan State, and Notre Dame were in the WCHA alongside North Dakota. How many fans do you think are still sitting around the fireplace reminiscing about the golden days of yore of 1959 thru 1980?

• Upvote 2

Not NCAA related, Illinois State is moving up to AHCA D1 next season.

Let's Play Hockey@LetsPlay_Hockey 9h9 hours ago

Illinois State University Redbird hockey has elevated its men’s club hockey team to ACHA D-1 status from D-2.

ISU HOCKEY@ISUHockey Dec 21

It's official folks, Redbird Hockey will compete at the Division I level beginning in the 2015-2016 season! Congrats boys on your hard work!

Maybe Illinois State is thinking about going NCAA in a few years.

Bison fans? Butthurt? Seriously? C'mon, dude, it's been ALMOST THIRTY FIVE YEARS since Michigan, Michigan State, and Notre Dame were in the WCHA alongside North Dakota. How many fans do you think are still sitting around the fireplace reminiscing about the golden days of yore of 1959 thru 1980?

I'm not the biggest hockey fan, but I've heard tons of Sioux fans, even on this board, reminisce about the old barn, where it was freezing and schnapps flowed freely.  If the Sioux fans doesn't know their own hockey history, their really not a hard-core fan. 

Bison fans are butthurt over UND hockey history. If it had been in DII, it wouldn't bother them so much, but DI before they knew how to spell it:  its a constant thorn in their side .  I happen to be an engineering grad (chemical) from UND.  I have gotten so much guff from NDSU engineers, as somehow they believe UND isn't capable of having an engineering school.  So even though I outranked them in position and responsibility, their disdain toward my school would often surface when there was a disagreement.  This happened even in Alabama when I worked their:  the other attendees wondered what the heck was wrong with the NDSU grad, as even Tide and Tiger fans did not act like that in professional meetings. Princeton, MIT, and Illinois grads wondered if the NDSU grad had mental issues in private, seriously.   I have two siblings that are UND grads, and they have voiced the same issue that NDSU grads attempt to degrade UND and them in meetings, when that is beyond the pale. Believe it or not, hockey comes up. NDSU engineers often deal with UND derangement issues upon graduation. I also have two siblings that graduated with engineering degrees from NDSU.  Fortunately, they have too much sense to have UND derangement symdome.

Deal with it Mafiaman.  The\re are NDSU people who have derangement about UND.  I've witnessed it too much for it not to be prevalent.

• Upvote 1

I happen to be an engineering grad (chemical) from UND. I have gotten so much guff from NDSU engineers, as somehow they believe UND isn't capable of having an engineering school. So even though I outranked them in position and responsibility, their disdain toward my school would often surface when there was a disagreement. This happened even in Alabama when I worked their: the other attendees wondered what the heck was wrong with the NDSU grad, as even Tide and Tiger fans did not act like that in professional meetings. Princeton, MIT, and Illinois grads wondered if the NDSU grad had mental issues in private, seriously. I have two siblings that are UND grads, and they have voiced the same issue that NDSU grads attempt to degrade UND and them in meetings, when that is beyond the pale. Believe it or not, hockey comes up. NDSU engineers often deal with UND derangement issues upon graduation. I also have two siblings that graduated with engineering degrees from NDSU. Fortunately, they have too much sense to have UND derangement symdome.

Deal with it Mafiaman. There are NDSU people who have serious mental blocks about UND.

Sounds like it's just something in the water in NDSU's chemical engineering department...

Sounds like it's just something in the water in NDSU's chemical engineering department...

NDSU doesn't have chemical or petroleum or geological engineering.   That was a major cause of it:  they don't have the necessary people or technical skills to work in some industries..  When you get along fine with someone, after all we grew up 40 miles from each other, but yet brings up my schooling when his logic isn't working in a packed meetings, is pretty telling.  This has happened to my other UND engineering siblings too, as well as friends.   It just bizarre behavior from NDSU grads, particularly engineering.    They have it so engrained in them that UND engineers suck, even from their professors. 

Sorry that I posted this on a hockey thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see the Big Ten ever having interest in adding North Dakota or Denver. More than likely, contrary to what you've heard, there will be other Big Ten schools adding hockey at some point within the next decade or so. I'll be shocked if it doesn't happen.

Illinois gave back the money Jimmy John gave them to move to NCAA D1, and yes there is a possibility a B1G school adds in 10 years. As of right now there is no talk of another B1G school adding hockey when most are getting rid of sports. There are 3 ACC schools playing NCAA D1 hockey (BC, Notre Dame, and Syracuse in women's) and North Carolina State was talked about them going NCAA D1.

Illinois gave back the money Jimmy John gave them to move to NCAA D1, and yes there is a possibility a B1G school adds in 10 years. As of right now there is no talk of another B1G school adding hockey when most are getting rid of sports. There are 3 ACC schools playing NCAA D1 hockey (BC, Notre Dame, and Syracuse in women's) and North Carolina State was talked about them going NCAA D1.

College hockey EXPANSION? But how can that be? dlsiouxfan is over in the Football forums telling anyone and everyone that college hockey is practically on life support!

GET ME THE PADDLES!

College hockey EXPANSION? But how can that be? dlsiouxfan is over in the Football forums telling anyone and everyone that college hockey is practically on life support!

GET ME THE PADDLES!

Not to get off topic, I keep wondering where this "money tree" people think exists for all these wants for the rest of the athletic department at UND.

Not to get off topic, I keep wondering where this "money tree" people think exists for all these wants for the rest of the athletic department at UND.

If we are that poor and destitute in the athletic department, why are we Division I at all?  I just have a hard time believing we would have moved up without the necessary resources to be successful.