Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
cberkas

College Hockey Expansion

Recommended Posts

According to The Province, a BC paper, Simon Fraser will make a decision on DI hockey by fall.  Simon Fraser is a full DII members now so they can take hockey varsity at the DI level now.  WCHA membership is almost guaranteed, as the WCHA commish mentioned a Canadian school was interested a couple of years back.  The WCHA will likel need Minot St too when Arizona St decides differently, except if Bowling Green leaves the WCHA for the NCHC with Ariz St.

Could see a WCHA league like this

EAST

BGSU, UAH, Ferris St, LSU

Central

NMU, MTU, Bemidji, Mankato

West 

SFU, Minot St, Anchorage, UCF

 

Lindenwood could replace BGSU if it gets an NCHC bid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

According to The Province, a BC paper, Simon Fraser will make a decision on DI hockey by fall.  Simon Fraser is a full DII members now so they can take hockey varsity at the DI level now.  WCHA membership is almost guaranteed, as the WCHA commish mentioned a Canadian school was interested a couple of years back.  The WCHA will likel need Minot St too when Arizona St decides differently, except if Bowling Green leaves the WCHA for the NCHC with Ariz St.

Could see a WCHA league like this

EAST

BGSU, UAH, Ferris St, LSU

Central

NMU, MTU, Bemidji, Mankato

West 

SFU, Minot St, Anchorage, UCF

 

Lindenwood could replace BGSU if it gets an NCHC bid.

Obviously, UAF, not UCF.  Browser is not letting me edit on tablet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The is an article on www.sbncollegehockey.com on how Simon Fraser and Minot State are investigating DI and the WCHA.  Minot State would have the option to play in the All Seasons Arena at the fairgrounds.  SBC doesn't realize that there is an alternative to Maysa, where the Minot State club rink which seats under 2000.  All Seasons seat nearly 4000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Highly doubt the state of ND will make them raise $37 mill before hockey programs can be started.  A men's program will be started well before a women's.  The SBOHE wants to make Pres Shirley happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GDPritch   
On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 9:50 AM, jdub27 said:

Not saying there aren't but none of the NCHC schools are on the same page academically as the B1G schools. To claim that someone would be crazy to pick a B1G over any NCHC is pretty absurd on a few different levels. Obviously there are a lot of variables that go into that decision and there are advantages and disadvantages to both sides.

Agree.  I'm a UND alumni but I have a daughter who is attending Wis and I never realized until I was researching universities with her how well Wis and eve Minn too are ranked academically, along of course with Mich and N'Western as well.  They are very reputable schools nationally and world-wide even.  And that's by no means a knock on UND and other like schools.  In fact, I still think while a reputable school listed on the old resume sure helps get a foot in the door that in the end great employees/workers/managers/you name it come from ALL schools (including UND, Denver, ...) and the individual matters the most ultimately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

has asu stated that they will/have to pick a new conference this summer? 

There are Phoenix reports that the Sun and Coyotes are looking at Tempe and a reservation for new digs together with ASU hockey.  The ASU basketball arena could be remodeled for hockey too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GDPritch said:

Agree.  I'm a UND alumni but I have a daughter who is attending Wis and I never realized until I was researching universities with her how well Wis and eve Minn too are ranked academically, along of course with Mich and N'Western as well.  They are very reputable schools nationally and world-wide even.  And that's by no means a knock on UND and other like schools.  In fact, I still think while a reputable school listed on the old resume sure helps get a foot in the door that in the end great employees/workers/managers/you name it come from ALL schools (including UND, Denver, ...) and the individual matters the most ultimately.

STEM majors at the undergraduate level do well at any school and their pay shows it.  Graduate level and non-STEM  majors are another question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GFG   
On 4/14/2016 at 0:08 PM, MafiaMan said:

Iowa wants a D1hockey program?

Groan... now I suppose Minnesota will want one too.

Dear God I hope not. I can't stand to cheer for another mediocre team :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
petey23   
18 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Agree.  I'm a UND alumni but I have a daughter who is attending Wis and I never realized until I was researching universities with her how well Wis and eve Minn too are ranked academically, along of course with Mich and N'Western as well.  They are very reputable schools nationally and world-wide even.  And that's by no means a knock on UND and other like schools.  In fact, I still think while a reputable school listed on the old resume sure helps get a foot in the door that in the end great employees/workers/managers/you name it come from ALL schools (including UND, Denver, ...) and the individual matters the most ultimately.

As long as those schools don't end up in the news over safe spaces and triggering episodes. If I was a parent and had kids at those schools currently I would file a class action lawsuit against the schools that encourage and promote this type of behavior for devaluing my son or daughters degree. Unfortunately for many of these students entering the job market they are probably going to have to do some fast talking to distance themselves from the losers who are embarrassing these campuses and convince future employers that they are not lumped in with the special snowflakes.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MafiaMan   
22 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Agree.  I'm a UND alumni but I have a daughter who is attending Wis...

HE'S A WITCH!  BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GDPritch   
1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

HE'S A WITCH!  BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!

I'm melting!  Daughter always jokes she's been at Wis nearly 3 years now and she's just happened to be there when for 2 years they've been "historically bad" (men's hockey).  Poor timing!  Her heart, deep down, is still with UND hockey though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So WCCO confirmed that Ariz St is not going to the Big Ten in hockey.  It's choices are the NCHC and WCHA.

For the NCHC, that means to get to ten, we'd have to take either Bowling Green or UNLV if it starts hockey.

For the WCHA, they would probably take Simon Fraser and Ariz St and create a western division or just take Simon Fraser if BGSU leaves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
#MACtion   
30 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

So WCCO confirmed that Ariz St is not going to the Big Ten in hockey.  It's choices are the NCHC and WCHA.

For the NCHC, that means to get to ten, we'd have to take either Bowling Green or UNLV if it starts hockey.

For the WCHA, they would probably take Simon Fraser and Ariz St and create a western division or just take Simon Fraser if BGSU leaves.

Unless UNLV or Arizona Wildcats are a package deal, it has to be Bowling Green.  They are the logical choice so that Denver and NoDak are happy in the west with ASU and WMU and Miami are happy in the east.  NCHC can't consider another budget-tight D2 Minnesota school.  BG has a $30 million athletics budget and can absorb COA and is better suited for media production etc.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, #MACtion said:

Unless UNLV or Arizona Wildcats are a package deal, it has to be Bowling Green.  They are the logical choice so that Denver and NoDak are happy in the west with ASU and WMU and Miami are happy in the east.  NCHC can't consider another budget-tight D2 Minnesota school.  BG has a $30 million athletics budget and can absorb COA and is better suited for media production etc.

CBS, DU, CC, UND, and probably UNo  would want Ariz St.  Miami and W Mich would want BGSU.  There probably isn't a way that UNLV comes aboard with Miami and WMU leaving to get with BGSU in a new CCHA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GFG said:

There were rumors about a month and a half ago that said ASU was for sure joining the WCHA. Maybe they were true. 

ASU could join the WCHA for two years for scheduling help with the Alaskas.  Anything more that that I highly doubt, as CBS, DU, CC, and probably UND would highly want them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteveP said:

I don't think the CC and Denver would object to Air Force being added to the league.

Several NCHC teams would, because AF can't recruit NHL caliber recruits.  That limits AF and goes against league philosophy that sees itself as a US college alternative to major juniors.

CC and DU play AF annually regardless.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wildfan   

Air Force gets alot of players from the NAHL, or a few years ago they did. Not even USHL, but they have had some strong teams in the past. Big problem is for them that there is a high academic requirement to get in. Coach Serratorre's son even had a quote saying he wanted to play for AFA but couldn't get in so went to UMN. There have been a few All-Americans and players that the NHL wanted but most will stay in for their service instead of taking the way out after I believe it is 2 years. I know I read before that after graduation there is a minimum 2 years before a waiver for release will be granted for those that want to go professional in sports. I can't remember exactly but do remember it was in a article about one of their players who was playing part of a AHL season with Lowell

 

 

Found it: Greg Flynn http://www.goairforcefalcons.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/012210aaa.html

Quote

The Department of Defense policy is that an active-duty service member pursuing professional sports must serve a minimum 24 months (Flynn's 24 months extends through May, 2011). At that point, an individual can apply for early release and that process is reviewed on a case-by-case basis. There are several conditions that would need to be met, including the individual being assigned to reserve unit and the situation having potential recruiting or public affairs benefits for the Air Force.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

CBS, DU, CC, UND, and probably UNo  would want Ariz St.  Miami and W Mich would want BGSU.  There probably isn't a way that UNLV comes aboard with Miami and WMU leaving to get with BGSU in a new CCHA.

I have heard nothing lately on UNLV..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×