SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

Not NCAA related but still interesting non the less. Missouri State looks to be looking for a home on campus for their ACHA D2 team. Along with a on-campus move Missouri State is looking to make the move to ACHA D1 soon.  

http://www.the-standard.org/sports/could-the-ice-bears-move-on-campus/article_4b502fd4-79d3-11e4-9dbd-abd49b4eeb35.html#user-comment-area

This is interesting from Let's Play Hockey.

Let's Play Hockey @LetsPlay_Hockey  ·  Dec 17

University of Alabama officials are interested in D-I hockey. There is more support from alumni than ever after ASU announced going DI. 1/3

The Bama club pgm will host the ACHA DIII Natl Tourney in March. As the club pgm grows, it becomes more interesting w/ officials/alumni. 2/3

Alabama is in a unique position to lead the SEC into Division I hockey because they know about hockey from its successful club program. 3/3

This is interesting from Let's Play Hockey.

University of Alabama officials are interested in D-I hockey. There is more support from alumni than ever after ASU announced going DI. 1/3

The Bama club pgm will host the ACHA DIII Natl Tourney in March. As the club pgm grows, it becomes more interesting w/ officials/alumni. 2/3

Alabama is in a unique position to lead the SEC into Division I hockey because they know about hockey from its successful club program. 3/3

Great.  Now the boys in Tuscaloosa can go after the UAH hockey program like they did to the UAB football program.

Great. Now the boys in Tuscaloosa can go after the UAH hockey program like they did to the U

AB football program.

Alabama probably needs UAH for conference affiliation.

Not that I think the Tide goes DI, but it could cause the CCHa to reappear with Miami, WMU, BGSU, UAH, maybe RMU and other Atlantic teams. Alabama wouldn't go to the WCHA or Atlantic Hockey, as those schools would be beneath their dignity.

Most the NCHC wants two new western teams, but Miami and WMU want teams in their region or directly south. Schools like Iowa State, Milwaukee, or DePaul or even Notre Dame would satisfy all the league. Going further west or south and the NCHC would tear apart.

Great.  Now the boys in Tuscaloosa can go after the UAH hockey program like they did to the UAB football program.

They already tried that. If you can't get rid of it, join'em. Think the South would go college hockey, if someone gave them a chance. Think Tennessee in Knoxville and SC in Columbia could be prime candidates. Georgia if they played in Gwinnett County (N Atlanta suburbs).

Not NCAA related but still interesting non the less. Missouri State looks to be looking for a home on campus for their ACHA D2 team. Along with a on-campus move Missouri State is looking to make the move to ACHA D1 soon.  

http://www.the-standard.org/sports/could-the-ice-bears-move-on-campus/article_4b502fd4-79d3-11e4-9dbd-abd49b4eeb35.html#user-comment-area

Thats an interesting article.  Sounds like Missouri State has everything needed to start D1 hockey and would be a good addition to the NCHC.  Article mentions they have private funding to turn McDonald Arena into a hockey arena all for themselves.  McDonald Arena is Mo State's old basketball arena before they build the new one and is sitting vacant right now on campus so Mo State already has cleared the biggest hurdle of starting up a program.

mcdonald_arena_springfield.jpg

mcdonald.jpg

If the NCAA allows athletes to be paid in the future this could be an ugly situation for the smaller d1 hockey schools. College hockey expansion will also hurt juniors in Canada but who cares about that:)

This will be an issue very, very soon.  B1G schools will have an advantage.  Other schools will have to decide whether or not they will follow.  UND has already indicated they will.

That would be pathetic.  If they are soooooo insecure about having a campus in Huntsville and Birmingham, just shut down the schools there altogether so they can get their annual appropriations sent to Tuscaloosa instead. :silly:

As much as UND and NDSU bicker about stuff, we don't do crap like this to each other.

Thats an interesting article.  Sounds like Missouri State has everything needed to start D1 hockey and would be a good addition to the NCHC.  Article mentions they have private funding to turn McDonald Arena into a hockey arena all for themselves.  McDonald Arena is Mo State's old basketball arena before they build the new one and is sitting vacant right now on campus so Mo State already has cleared the biggest hurdle of starting up a program.

That would be a cool set-up for hockey.  Fans right on top of the ice, sweet. :cool:

mcdonald.jpg

I'd rather have Mizzou in the NCHC then Missouri State. Missouri State has moved through the ACHA fairly quickly, started in 2001 in the ACHA DIII then in 2004 moved to AHCA DII where they're competitive, and now the team is looking to ACHA DI in the next few years.

Alabama probably needs UAH for conference affiliation.

Not that I think the Tide goes DI, but it could cause the CCHa to reappear with Miami, WMU, BGSU, UAH, maybe RMU and other Atlantic teams. Alabama wouldn't go to the WCHA or Atlantic Hockey, as those schools would be beneath their dignity.

Most the NCHC wants two new western teams, but Miami and WMU want teams in their region or directly south. Schools like Iowa State, Milwaukee, or DePaul or even Notre Dame would satisfy all the league. Going further west or south and the NCHC would tear apart.

I don't see the CCHA coming back anytime soon. With the teams you listed starting a "new CCHA" looks like a weak conference, I don't mean it to be a shot at Miami and Western Michigan. Miami and Western Michigan don't look like the types that would want to be in a weak conference fighting each other to see who gets the (most likely) the auto-bid to the NCAA's. I agree that Alabama won't want to join the WCHA or Atlantic Hockey, but I do think the NCHC would be the conference they'd want to be in.  

Not sure how true it was, but the NCHC wanted Boston College and Boston University to join the conference. So I'm not going to go with that the NCHC wants two western teams. I do believe the next team to be added to NCHC is going to come from the West. It's going to come down to how successful Arizona State is if there will be more schools making the jump to the NCAA D1 level. Right now there are people wanting Arizona to join Arizona State, could those two schools lead to Northern Arizona making a come back to the NCAA?

They already tried that. If you can't get rid of it, join'em. Think the South would go college hockey, if someone gave them a chance. Think Tennessee in Knoxville and SC in Columbia could be prime candidates. Georgia if they played in Gwinnett County (N Atlanta suburbs).

Georgia just moved into The Classic Center Arena in downtown Athens right across the street from the UGA campus.

NC State blog on going NCAA D1.

http://wolfpacksportstv.tumblr.com/post/103137686664/could-friday-night-ice-become-legitimate-in

Because as long as Bowling Green is in a different conference just for hockey ... Tension will exist.

P.S. I am happy Miami stepped up to NCHC.

Terry Pegula, the new owner of the Bills in addition to the Sabres, is willing to "help" the Buffalo Bulls start a team. That would make four MAC schools.

That might force an issue, because with two assoc member, the MAC could start their own autobid league and include it with their ESPN rights.

Not saying it will happen, but I wouldn't bet against it.

The six teams formerly from the WCHA could withdraw from the NCHC and start a new autobid league and join up with a couple of PAC 12 teams, so the MAC/NCHC doesn't have to wait two years for an autobid per NCAA rules. Everybody is happy as clams then.

Terry Pegula, the new owner of the Bills in addition to the Sabres, is willing to "help" the Buffalo Bulls start a team. That would make four MAC schools.

That might force an issue, because with two assoc member, the MAC could start their own autobid league and include it with their ESPN rights.

Not saying it will happen, but I wouldn't bet against it.

The six teams formerly from the WCHA could withdraw from the NCHC and start a new autobid league and join up with a couple of PAC 12 teams, so the MAC/NCHC doesn't have to wait two years for an autobid per NCAA rules. Everybody is happy as clams then.

The NCHC isn't going to just let Western Michigan and Miami leave, there's a hefty exit fee to leave the league as well. 

How much is the buyout?

It doesn't matter because neither Miami or WMU are going anywhere.  I wouldn't mind seeing UB get a big donation from Pegula like Penn State did and they start hockey though.

I'm not particularly a big fan of the NCHC expanding at all either unless it financially benefits the existing members and provides more TV exposure.  Splitting a declining number of CBS TV games with 10 members instead of 8 and making it tougher to move through 10 members instead of 8 to get an autobid doesn't make sense.  Any new start-up like Arizona State will be a drag on Pairwise strength at least initially as well.

Any NCHC expansion needs to come with a new TV contract and financial gain for all, otherwise why expand?

• Upvote 1

I'm also not a fan of expanding and adding a member that clearly has plans of just using the NCHC as a stepping stone like Arizona State plans.  There is no benefit in that.  It took the MAC getting burned several times trying to expand before it finally realized it was never of benefit of the conference and merely created more competitors in the long run.

Simple fact is that Temple University was up for vote to cancel their football program until the MAC gave them a sweet deal and kept them afloat.  MAC also gave Central Florida and UMass golden tickets to FBS only to watch UCF leave soon after.  The MAC finally wised up and asked UMass to bring basketball to the MAC so both sides could share in benefits of the arrangement and UMass said no and so the MAC said good-bye.  MAC Commish has said this won't happen again and there will be no more such arrangements in the future.

Temple lasted 6 years, UCF lasted 4, and UMass will have lasted 4 years.  There was never any benefit realized for the conference just the MAC helping them launch their programs (like Arizona State will be) or saving them altogether (Temple).

All three of those schools now compete with the MAC.

No to Arizona State.  Focus on Big XII schools (Iowa State) that don't have a conference network or other D1 schools (Buffalo, Liberty, Missouri State) that can benefit the conference in the long run "IF" expansion is necessary at all.

• Upvote 1

I'm also not a fan of expanding and adding a member that clearly has plans of just using the NCHC as a stepping stone like Arizona State plans.  There is no benefit in that.  It took the MAC getting burned several times trying to expand before it finally realized it was never of benefit of the conference and merely created more competitors in the long run.

From what I understand, the member schools have similar feelings.  Arizona State would also be subject to the same buyout clauses as any other school, so even if they were join and then jump ship, they would be paying a hefty penalty to do so, though I can't remember what the exit fee is at the moment.

From what I understand, the member schools have similar feelings.  Arizona State would also be subject to the same buyout clauses as any other school, so even if they were join and then jump ship, they would be paying a hefty penalty to do so, though I can't remember what the exit fee is at the moment.

So what if "brand-name" teams use us as stepping stones.  The PIG 10 schools did, and we all benefitted.  If an Ariz St or Alabama join the ranks of the NCHC, the tv contract instantly becomes more valuable and NCHC members will get a lot more acclaim from new college hockey fans.  Michigan, Michigan St, and Notre Dame moved on a long time ago from the WCHA, but there stay is still remembered fondly by WCHA and now NCHC fans.  If a USC or Stanford decided to start hockey, the NCHC would offer them, just like Arizona State.  They may use us, but its not like basketball or football where every AD mostly thinks of themselves.  People are interested in growing the game.  If ASU joins and later leaves for a PAC12 league, NCHC teams are better for it and we will have gained a lot of visibility that we didn't have before.

Its not like we are on ESPN every week.  With college hockey expansion to big brand name schools, its possible they would even have a game of the week.  Look at the bigger picture.  This is an opportunity to go national in scope, instead of regional.

So what if "brand-name" teams use us as stepping stones.  The PIG 10 schools did, and we all benefitted.  If an Ariz St or Alabama join the ranks of the NCHC, the tv contract instantly becomes more valuable and NCHC members will get a lot more acclaim from new college hockey fans.  Michigan, Michigan St, and Notre Dame moved on a long time ago from the WCHA, but there stay is still remembered fondly by WCHA and now NCHC fans.  If a USC or Stanford decided to start hockey, the NCHC would offer them, just like Arizona State.  They may use us, but its not like basketball or football where every AD mostly thinks of themselves.  People are interested in growing the game.  If ASU joins and later leaves for a PAC12 league, NCHC teams are better for it and we will have gained a lot of visibility that we didn't have before.

Its not like we are on ESPN every week.  With college hockey expansion to big brand name schools, its possible they would even have a game of the week.  Look at the bigger picture.  This is an opportunity to go national in scope, instead of regional.

I don't agree at all.  Plenty of fans in Philadelphia, Orlando, Boston briefly saw MAC football when we added Temple, UCF, and UMass and just as fast when they left those same fans could care less about the MAC and in fact makes us look below them now because Temple and UCF "dumped" us and moved on to perceived better conferences.  You are sorely mistaken about any un-found "acclaim" from new FBS football fans and/or that those schools care about "growing the game" of hockey.   Michigan hockey couldn't care less about Miami Hockey and refuse to play us unless we only play them in Ann Arbor now even though we had a long history in the CCHA and were our supposed BFFs.  They don't care about the CCHA or it collapsing or the future of Bowling Green or UAH or Ferris State.  They want to grow the Big Ten Network and make more money and more power and be the only face on TV for College Hockey and in fact would probably prefer that Arizona State, Alabama, Arizona, etc all join and then shut-down Ferris State, Lake State, BG, etc....

I couldn't disagree more with your thinking.  I can assure you that there was no "acclaim" added from fans in Philly and Orlando and they look down on us and routinely laugh that they used the MAC and moved on and are now above us and refuse to play us (check the message boards - the MAC literally saved Temple Football, Temple NEVER beat a MAC team with a winning record in 6 years and are still bad, and yet they still look down on the MAC and mock the conference).  Same thing with Michigan Hockey and the CCHA and will be the same with Arizona State once the PAC12 Hockey gets going to feed PAC12 Hockey.  ESPN may pick up more college hockey, but it will only be to show PAC12 and Big Ten hockey conference games ONLY. 

There will be no benefit to North Dakota and will just further squeeze North Dakota in TV and recruiting.  Best that North Dakota and the NCHC can hope in that scenario is to be the also ran college hockey conference like the Big East is to basketball.  North Dakota Hockey will be Villanova Basketball and the NCHC will be the Big East.  That would be the ceiling, just a well respected team in a solid league but no better off and being squeezed as the PAC and Big use their leverage to be shown on ESPN while the NCHC is fighting to stay on CBS Sports Network and keep up with the stipend-paying Joneses.

Your theory is that it somehow betters you to date some decent looking floozy lady who you know will then use you for everything you can offer and then humiliates you and dump you as soon as the man she told you she already wanted to be with is back?  Lyle Lovett is a stud because he once dated Julia Roberts how???  George Clooney is buying Lyle's concert tickets because of the found memories of when she once dated Lyle before she dumped him?

Sounds weak.

I don't agree at all. Plenty of fans in Philadelphia, Orlando, Boston briefly saw MAC football when we added Temple, UCF, and UMass and just as fast when they left those same fans could care less about the MAC and in fact makes us look below them now because Temple and UCF "dumped" us and moved on to perceived better conferences. You are sorely mistaken about any un-found "acclaim" from new FBS football fans and/or that those schools care about "growing the game" of hockey. Michigan hockey couldn't care less about Miami Hockey and refuse to play us unless we only play them in Ann Arbor now even though we had a long history in the CCHA and were our supposed BFFs. They don't care about the CCHA or it collapsing or the future of Bowling Green or UAH or Ferris State. They want to grow the Big Ten Network and make more money and more power and be the only face on TV for College Hockey and in fact would probably prefer that Arizona State, Alabama, Arizona, etc all join and then shut-down Ferris State, Lake State, BG, etc....

I couldn't disagree more with your thinking. I can assure you that there was no "acclaim" added from fans in Philly and Orlando and they look down on us and routinely laugh that they used the MAC and moved on and are now above us and refuse to play us (check the message boards - the MAC literally saved Temple Football, Temple NEVER beat a MAC team with a winning record in 6 years and are still bad, and yet they still look down on the MAC and mock the conference). Same thing with Michigan Hockey and the CCHA and will be the same with Arizona State once the PAC12 Hockey gets going to feed PAC12 Hockey. ESPN may pick up more college hockey, but it will only be to show PAC12 and Big Ten hockey conference games ONLY.

There will be no benefit to North Dakota and will just further squeeze North Dakota in TV and recruiting. Best that North Dakota and the NCHC can hope in that scenario is to be the also ran college hockey conference like the Big East is to basketball. North Dakota Hockey will be Villanova Basketball and the NCHC will be the Big East. That would be the ceiling, just a well respected team in a solid league but no better off and being squeezed as the PAC and Big use their leverage to be shown on ESPN while the NCHC is fighting to stay on CBS Sports Network and keep up with the stipend-paying Joneses.

Football had an established pecking order, and the MAC is far down the list.

College hockey has a established pecking order, and the NCHC is around the top.

Ohio St hasn't become a world beater. Miami is a far better program. How could that be? The Pig 10 isn't the top hockey league and the PAC12 or SEC won't be either. UND isn't afraid if USC or the Tide joining college hockey. You seem to be saying we should.

Atlantic Hockey should be concerned and maybe the ECAC, but if schools in the Nacho keep spending it would all be good, while the Pac12 and SEC could approach the level of the ECAC.

• Upvote 1