SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

There are some good schools in the NCHC as well (Denver, Colorado College, UND).

Not saying there aren't but none of the NCHC schools are on the same page academically as the B1G schools. To claim that someone would be crazy to pick a B1G over any NCHC is pretty absurd on a few different levels. Obviously there are a lot of variables that go into that decision and there are advantages and disadvantages to both sides.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

Not saying there aren't but none of the NCHC schools are on the same page academically as the B1G schools. To claim that someone would be crazy to pick a B1G over any NCHC is pretty absurd on a few different levels. Obviously there are a lot of variables that go into that decision and there are advantages and disadvantages to both sides.

What is "right" is different for every kid and that is a decision they have to make.

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

What is "right" is different for every kid and that is a decision they have to make.

I agree. My point was to point out how absurd the claim that "Any recruit that picks the B1G over any NCHC school is bonkers" actually is. Sometimes its OK to take off the Kelly green shades and put down the Kool-Aid.

• Upvote 4

Couple of thoughts from down south here.  I get around to all of the hockey venues in Iowa and Nebraska and have friends in the youth hockey associations across both states.

-  The people in Omaha and Lincoln tell me it is just a matter of time before Husker hockey is a reality.  Forget that gentlemen's agreement between Lincoln and Omaha.  UNO feels it can stand on its own in the Omaha market given the success they have enjoyed and they now have a permanent on-campus home.  Husker hockey will work in Lincoln.  Husker fans flock to every team that wears the Big Red N, volleyball, baseball, any sport that has any sort of moderate success. 

-  The only thing stopping Iowa hockey is the lack of a facility.  That is about to change with the facility in Coralville.  Forget the USHL, Cedar Rapids is too close to Coralville and a USHL team there will infringe upon the Roughriders territory.  The Iowa franchises in the USHL have made up the backbone of the league for years and with the Iowa Wild seeing some commercial success in Des Moines the sport is alive in this State.  Iowa is like Nebraska too, any team that sports the Tigerhawk is going to gather a following.  Iowa hockey would be at the very least a revenue neutral sport.  Iowa is also one of the richest athletic departments in the country having revenues that place them in the top 12-15 every year.  You think Coralville is going to drop all that money for an arena for a USHL team?  Or Iowa Club hockey?  The unspoken word is the target is NCAA Hockey at Iowa.

-  The BTN needs programming and the BTHC needs teams.  I'm guessing there will be some incentives for member schools to start programs.

-  Iowa State has a good Club following but Club is a long ways from Varsity.  ISU does not have the money or resources to start a program.  The school has had a highly successful wrestling program for years yet let their own Cael Sanderson get away to Penn State because they didn't want to pay him.  The instability of the Big 12 is their primary concern.  ISU is more likely to end up in the MAC or MWC than they are to start hockey.  No way ISU will ever in 100 billion years get an invite to the Big Ten and they know it.  The school brings nothing to the conference.  Add in the fact that they just spent a ton of money overbuilding Jack Trice for a crappy football program.  Can you say misallocation of resources?

-  The Big Ten brought in Johns Hopkins as an affiliate because they passed the academic test as a highly valuable research institution, they also happen to have a great lacrosse program, a sport that is growing by leaps and bounds nationwide.

-  UND should never consider affiliate membership in the Big Ten.  It would be a very bad move for your hockey program.  You are already in a premier hockey conference with similar minded schools.  The Big Ten schools are not thinking hockey first though the conference does house some historically powerful hockey schools.

-  Big ten Hockey will be fine.  There is too much money and prestige there to stay down for long.  If new programs at Iowa, Nebraska, or another school start up they will become power schools as well.  Money, resources, television exposure, Big Ten academics gives these schools so many built in advantages.

• Upvote 2

When you all are talking about this Minnesota program that is so down and out - you are talking about the Minnesota Gophers that beat UND in the Frozen Four two years ago and made the NCAA tournament last year, correct?  Just checking...  Unless my math is off, UND is 4-2 in the NCAA tournament the past two years, while Minnesota is a shockingly horrible 3-2.  

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, mksioux said:

When you all are talking about this Minnesota program that is so down and out - you are talking about the Minnesota Gophers that beat UND in the Frozen Four two years ago and made the NCAA tournament last year, correct?  Just checking...  Unless my math is off, UND is 4-2 in the NCAA tournament the past two years, while Minnesota is a shockingly horrible 3-2.  

Again, the only reason they made it last year is because the Big Ten was weak and they won the auto bid. They will have to do that again this year.

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Let's not kid ourselves, UND is one of the easiest schools to get into and not every program is good. In fact, some really blow. There are some strengths but we're not on the B1G level at all.

Yeah, it's a wonder anybody who graduates from UND ever does anything in their chosen field. I guess Ralph Engelstad was just plain lucky. :silly:

Book smarts and common sense are two different things.  I work with people that have Master's Degrees and they can't grasp simple principles like the bottom line.  A lot of times people are taught the bureaucracy that is so prevalent in government, but is the root of a lot of our money problems. 

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Quality of a degree has nothing to do with quality of a person or how creative and successful they'll be in their field. It's just a fact that UND isn't an academic powerhouse. 

When it comes down to it, it's not the school you put the kid into but what the kid puts into school. 

• Upvote 1

One thing that is interesting is that grade are a reflection of obedience, not intelligence. This means that the big fancy hard to get into schools are filled with many people who are highly obedient and will just end up regurgitating whatever their professors told them was valuable instead of deciding for themselves. Obviously there are a ton of highly successful people who went to these expensive schools but they, depending on the field, could end up working for a creative college dropout who had vision and worked to achieve it instead of gratification from grades and a piece of paper saying they're smart. Which is why I'm working on my second piece of paper saying I am smart.....

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, snova4 said:

In all of the places I've ever sent a resume or application, not one of them has cared where my degree came from. College degrees, outside ivy league, don't hold any water in getting you employment. Of course, that's my opinion.

If the person reading it is familiar with the school, it can help/hurt.  Whether you have UND, NDSU, or SDSU likely won't matter for a job in Georgia, but if you have UND and are applying to work for a relocated UND grad, it can help, even if it does nothing more than getting you in for the interview.

There are schools in this area that I prefer to others when hiring for certain positions.  If someone came in for that position with a degree from Coastal Carolina, whose program quality I'm not really familiar with, then the school name matters less.

5 hours ago, snova4 said:

In all of the places I've ever sent a resume or application, not one of them has cared where my degree came from. College degrees, outside ivy league, don't hold any water in getting you employment. Of course, that's my opinion.

It is a fact that people with college degrees make way more money over the course of their careers than people without one. So I do think a college education still matters. And if it doesn't matter which school you graduate from, why all the rankings of colleges and programs? Obviously, there is some level of importance to which college people attend.

And I think everyone here is just proving my point for me. An expensive Big Ten education is not necessarily worth more than a UND education. Heck, community colleges do a solid job of educating students who like the smaller class sizes and one-on-one attention from professors.

16 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It is a fact that people with college degrees make way more money over the course of their careers than people without one. So I do think a college education still matters. And if it doesn't matter which school you graduate from, why all the rankings of colleges and programs? Obviously, there is some level of importance to which college people attend.

And I think everyone here is just proving my point for me. An expensive Big Ten education is not necessarily worth more than a UND education. Heck, community colleges do a solid job of educating students who like the smaller class sizes and one-on-one attention from professors.

Maybe it's just that I graduated from the recently #1 ranked North Dakota college.

http://www.newsdakota.com/2016/01/13/university-of-jamestown-ranked-1-by-niche/

8 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Again, the only reason they made it last year is because the Big Ten was weak and they won the auto bid. They will have to do that again this year.

Minnesota was mathematically locked in without the autobid last year. The way other conference tournaments played out they were in before the B1G Championship Game began. If Michigan won that game the B1G would've had 2 teams in. Similar situation 2 years ago: Minnesota and Wisconsin were locked into the NCAA tournament and if Ohio State would've beaten Wisconsin in OT there would've been 3 B1G teams in the tournament and UND would've been sitting at home. 

• Upvote 1