SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

Michigan has a lot of money, but $90-$100 Million is still a lot of money even to Michigan (and that's why it took a program like Penn State to get a $100 million donation to start hockey). 

But if all that even buys ya is Pegula Hockey Arena, its not worth it. And are better off sticking with Yost. 

I'm sure they wouldn't turn down a large donation to build a new arena. 

Cratter, I don't think having a top ten rink equates to "falling behind", as you stated.  Can you name ten better rinks?  

I just think it would be a shame if they replaced it with a mariucci type building.  Bigger = stale, even the excel energy center is pretty stale IMO. 

yost.jpeg

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Cratter, I don't think having a top ten rink equates to "falling behind", as you stated.  Can you name ten better rinks?  

I just think it would be a shame if they replaced it with a mariucci type building.  Bigger = stale, even the excel energy center is pretty stale IMO. 

I don't disagree. I'm just saying I don't see them turning down a large donation was offered to build a new building (it would certainly have to be quite a bit nicer). 

Its only a matter of time before all sports venues are replaced, no matter how "iconic" they are (It's usually the teams in that buildings that make them iconic.)

Duke officials talking about Cameron Indoor Stadium:  “We are 20 years behind on our facilities, and we need to catch up to the same decade as our peers."

A lot of these people would replace their stadiums if the money was there, but it's not. Instead they renovate and with good teams and time, they become "iconic", and hard to replace...especially after they keep pumping so much money into them.  Purdue’s Mackey Arena got a $100 Million renovation a few years ago. 

The Ralph will become iconic because I don't see them ever being able to replace that building. 

Bigger isn't necessarily better. But the population of towns and schools and thus sports attendance, increases. In 50 years if a stadium is the same size as it were in the 1970's they are either losing a lot of money or their fan base has shrink in proportion. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, nodak651 said:

yost.jpeg

The size of Mariucci isn't the problem, it the % of seats the University sells to businesses instead of fans.

39 minutes ago, shortbusguy said:

The size of Mariucci isn't the problem, it the % of seats the University sells to businesses instead of fans.

That's not the problem either. The Ralph has tons of businesses that own multiple seats in the arena which is expected when the arena holds 11,500 in a 60,000 town. 

The difference is they didn't buy enough tickets at those businesses, the demand for who wants to use them that week is great (and we're not talking just three or four tickets). Employees who usually want to go to a hockey games are also "fans" at UND. And a nice gesture to its employees for those who might not be able to normally afford it. 

Gophers problem is they don't play UND anymore so nobody wants to go: "Fan" or "Business."

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

Looks like the new rumor from GPL is that the B1G is interested in UConn for hockey only.

If true about UConn, then UCONN women will eventually be offered a spot too, further weakening the women's WCHA.  Lindenwood would probably be offered.  NDSU could be offered too, as it would help solve their Title IX problems.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

If true about UConn, then UCONN women will eventually be offered a spot too, further weakening the women's WCHA.  Lindenwood would probably be offered.  NDSU could be offered too, as it would help solve their Title IX problems.

The B1G has said they will not add woman's hockey because the WCHA is so strong compared to everyone else.

10 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I really feel like it will be ASU and Notre Dame to Big Ten for hockey only.

I don't see Notre Dame joining the B1G in hockey, I'm sure the ACC will find a way to stop Notre Dame from joining the B1G in any capacity.

3 hours ago, cberkas said:

Looks like the new rumor from GPL is that the B1G is interested in UConn for hockey only.

Correct. I personally don't fully understand the reasoning behind it, but that's who they're interested in trying to get if ASU chooses the B1G 

2 minutes ago, GFG said:

Correct. I personally don't fully understand the reasoning behind it, but that's who they're interested in trying to get if ASU chooses the B1G 

UCONN wants to renovate their on campus practice rink for games again, but it only sits 2000.  Originally when they joined Hockey East, they were supposed to build a new arena on campus.  They have been playing in the XL Center in downtown Hartford where the Whalers used to play, but it's scheduled for a renovation.