SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

8 minutes ago, GFG said:

There was a report in a Phoenix paper a couple days ago that ASU and the Coyotes were very close to signing a deal for a new arena in the Tempe area.  Would suspect the B1G and NCHC wouldn't take ASU until after that arena is built.  The WCHA could take them for a few years, as ASU wouldn't be so adverse to Alaska travel as the other WCHA teams are.

9 minutes ago, GFG said:

Supposedly Iowa wants nothing to do with hockey. If you talk to people from Iowa they'll tell you that hockey is nonexistent in the state outside of the few larger towns. Even then hockey is still less popular than wrestling. At the same time I always argue this with the idea that if you have anything Hawkeyes, Iowa fans will probably show up.

USHL attendance has been very good in Iowa.  Reminds me of Fargo U fans talking BS. 

3 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Iowa State seems to have a following and are the top team in the ACHA D1 last time I looked.

I've heard rumors before of Iowa State looking to go DI. I think it would be smart of them. It's a way to differentiate themselves from Iowa. 

I've always liked to entertain the idea of the B1G adding ASU and bringing in UND as another hockey only affiliate member. Financially it would be the best move possible for the B1G to add UND and I'm sure it would provide UND with a much higher income of some sort as well. That would give you UND, Minnesota and Michigan as the traditional power teams (hate you Wisconsin) in an 8 team conference of only BCS schools and UND. 

13 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

There was a report in a Phoenix paper a couple days ago that ASU and the Coyotes were very close to signing a deal for a new arena in the Tempe area.  Would suspect the B1G and NCHC wouldn't take ASU until after that arena is built.  The WCHA could take them for a few years, as ASU wouldn't be so adverse to Alaska travel as the other WCHA teams are.

I guess we'll know any time within the next few months, but it seems sooner rather than later.

"Arizona State has met with the WCHA and NCHC and soon will meet with the Big Ten. A decision wasn’t expected until the spring, but Powers indicated that will be accelerated because recruits deserve to know where they will be playing" 

http://www.startribune.com/arizona-state-sees-sunny-hockey-future/362118721/

6 minutes ago, GFG said:

I've heard rumors before of Iowa State looking to go DI. I think it would be smart of them. It's a way to differentiate themselves from Iowa. 

I've always liked to entertain the idea of the B1G adding ASU and bringing in UND as another hockey only affiliate member. Financially it would be the best move possible for the B1G to add UND and I'm sure it would provide UND with a much higher income of some sort as well. That would give you UND, Minnesota and Michigan as the traditional power teams (hate you Wisconsin) in an 8 team conference of only BCS schools and UND. 

Iowa State is probably too leery of the Big 12's future to invest in any more sports.  If Oklahoma or Texas start hockey, they'd announce it the next day.

If we were offered a B1G slot, we'd have to take it.  But think if ASU gets an B1G offer, the B1G would also offer Denver if there's no one else starting it.  A lot of Big Ten eyes in the Colorado market.  They don't call it the Pig Ten for nothing.

10 minutes ago, GFG said:

Missouri State and Illinois State are two that could go NCAA D1 with Iowa State.

There are rumors that Iowa State might join the B1G when the Big 12 falls apart.

I see the B1G in a couple of years looking for "hockey only" members to help their conference. If I was the PAC 12 I would follow the NCHC model rather then the B1G model for starting a conference. The biggest fault of the B1G was starting a conference once 6 member schools had hockey. They should have waited and gauged interest at other member schools if hockey was possible. Look at Rutgers they are banking on the B1G money to support their athletic department. I was surprised to see on GPL that the Gophers have lost money since leaving the WCHA.

3 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Iowa State is probably too leery of the Big 12's future to invest in any more sports.  If Oklahoma or Texas start hockey, they'd announce it the next day.

If we were offered a B1G slot, we'd have to take it.  But think if ASU gets an B1G offer, the B1G would also offer Denver if there's no one else starting it.  A lot of Big Ten eyes in the Colorado market.  They don't call it the Pig Ten for nothing.

Surprisingly I think they would look at UND before Denver. These are business people, and you know as well as I do that UND's fan base and support bring far more to the table for the B1G than Denver. UND hockey viewership numbers would bring their hockey ratings WAAYYYY up, which = more advertising dollars for BTN. They won't add Denver because adding them as an affiliate school doesn't actually get them the Denver market. 

3 minutes ago, GFG said:

Surprisingly I think they would look at UND before Denver. These are business people, and you know as well as I do that UND's fan base and support bring far more to the table for the B1G than Denver. UND hockey viewership numbers would bring their hockey ratings WAAYYYY up, which = more advertising dollars for BTN. They won't add Denver because adding them as an affiliate school doesn't actually get them the Denver market. 

They added Hopkins as an affiliate for the Baltimore market.  The B1G doesn't care so much about attendance as B1G Network cable markets, where they are making a fortune in carriage fees and advertising.  That might be coming to an end, but Denver's appeal isn't with its fan base, but selling more BTN subscriptions in Colorado.  Same thing with ASU, as neither of them are AAU schools.

7 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Missouri State and Illinois State are two that could go NCAA D1 with Iowa State.

There are rumors that Iowa State might join the B1G when the Big 12 falls apart.

I see the B1G in a couple of years looking for "hockey only" members to help their conference. If I was the PAC 12 I would follow the NCHC model rather then the B1G model for starting a conference. The biggest fault of the B1G was starting a conference once 6 member schools had hockey. They should have waited and gauged interest at other member schools if hockey was possible. Look at Rutgers they are banking on the B1G money to support their athletic department. I was surprised to see on GPL that the Gophers have lost money since leaving the WCHA.

1. I agree, and I would be surprised if they didn't reach out to UND.

2. That's part of the reason Minnesota was the only school that voted no for the B1G hockey conference. They knew they were the only school that would take a hit from it. They didn't lose money, technically. Their expenses increased (somehow doubled to like $4million) but their revenue has been about the same. Math doesn't add up for the extra flights  and stuff costing that much money, so take those numbers with a grain of salt. Big athletic departments always move money around in their books for whatever reasons, usually title IX. It's rarely reported correctly. The U of M is #13 in revenue in all of college athletics, yet they say they break perfectly even all the time. I can tell you right now that's not accurate.

4 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

They added Hopkins as an affiliate for the Baltimore market.  The B1G doesn't care so much about attendance as B1G Network cable markets, where they are making a fortune in carriage fees and advertising.  That might be coming to an end, but Denver's appeal isn't with its fan base, but selling more BTN subscriptions in Colorado.  Same thing with ASU, as neither of them are AAU schools.

They didn't get the Baltimore market with Johns Hopkins. That's why they added Maryland. Full members make it so the entire state has to carry BTN. They added Johns Hopkins for the research dollars and to have a high profile lacrosse team in their conference since they needed to add a team. North Dakota wouldn't get the B1G any research money, but they would certainly be a high profile team to add into their hockey conference.

UND going to B1G for hockey would be bad IMO...look what it's done for Minnesota.  So you want to give up games against DU, St Cloud, and CC for Penn St, Ohio St, and Mich St?  Ugh...Also, playing on Tuesday mornings at 10:30 is not optimal for your program. :)

30 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

UND going to B1G for hockey would be bad IMO...look what it's done for Minnesota.  So you want to give up games against DU, St Cloud, and CC for Penn St, Ohio St, and Mich St?  Ugh...Also, playing on Tuesday mornings at 10:30 is not optimal for your program. :)

That's the biggest reason to say "No thanks." 

I like the consistent Friday and Saturday game times. 

Just need to grow (have UND win more game and build a tradition/fan base at) the Frozen Faceoff and UND is in a near perfect situation. When gosh forbid UND might need a "home field advantage" to win the autobid to make the tournament. 

Being in the NCHC gives two pretty easy road trips to Duluth and St Cloud. If it aint' broke don't fix it. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, GFG said:

Surprisingly I think they would look at UND before Denver. These are business people, and you know as well as I do that UND's fan base and support bring far more to the table for the B1G than Denver. UND hockey viewership numbers would bring their hockey ratings WAAYYYY up, which = more advertising dollars for BTN. They won't add Denver because adding them as an affiliate school doesn't actually get them the Denver market

I fully agree with this. DU has a great Hockey program but they do not have a big fan following here. The average Denver resident isn't even aware of DU. Next weekend, half the rink will be UND fans. I can't wait! 

I doubt it is feasible but I would love to see CU and CSU add D1 Hockey. That would create an even more interesting NCHC.

14 hours ago, GFG said:

Supposedly Iowa wants nothing to do with hockey. If you talk to people from Iowa they'll tell you that hockey is nonexistent in the state outside of the few larger towns. Even then hockey is still less popular than wrestling. At the same time I always argue this with the idea that if you have anything Hawkeyes, Iowa fans will probably show up.

The bolded part has to be true in my opinion. I've seen Iowa's club team play in the mall at Corralville. They play in a mall with no seating! There is no way there is any interest in a D1 team when the support for the team is completely nonexistent. Hockey is at best a very distant third to either wrestling or basketball for winter sport popularity in that state.

1 hour ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

The bolded part has to be true in my opinion. I've seen Iowa's club team play in the mall at Corralville. They play in a mall with no seating! There is no way there is any interest in a D1 team when the support for the team is completely nonexistent. Hockey is at best a very distant third to either wrestling or basketball for winter sport popularity in that state.

And Ariz St played in a 700 seat arena that no one could guess is home to a DI team.  Bottom line is will it make money?  And with a new USHL arena in Coralville and a BTN network tie in, that goes a long way for financial viability.

18 hours ago, Blackheart said:

pretty simple answer.....YES

• Upvote 1

Not in a million years.

• Upvote 2

Pretty simple answer... No!  UND is a traveling fan base, but why make it more difficult for most of your fan base to go to road games. A good deal of alumni are out west, not east, that is why Denver is always packed.  

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, tnt said:

Pretty simple answer... No!  UND is a traveling fan base, but why make it more difficult for most of your fan base to go to road games. A good deal of alumni are out west, not east, that is why Denver is always packed.  

All of those fans would have the ability to see more games overall, though. Any game that's not televised on BTN can be televised by anyone else. Whether that be FSN, Midco, ASN or a local channel. UND wouldn't be as held up in their TV deal like the one they have with Midco. Every B1G game is also, at minimum, on BTN2Go to my knowledge. Which is free as long as you have BTN in your cable subscription. The only ones that aren't on BTN2Go are the ESPNews televised games, which are on the Watch ESPN app for free. 

Also very rare that UND would have to worry about games on weird days. Most of those odd day games are B1G schools scheduling around football/basketball games, which would be UND away games. Minnesota hasn't really been affected by that much at all, other than when they had friday-sunday series if they had a home football game saturday. UND makes their home schedule and if they want to play on Friday-Saturday they can choose that. The only difference you would likely see is a game occasionally starting at 8pm instead of 7:37 due TV.

Edit: And you can't say it wouldn't be cool to invade places like Columbus and Ann Arbor with UND hockey fans. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, GFG said:

All of those fans would have the ability to see more games overall, though. Any game that's not televised on BTN can be televised by anyone else. Whether that be FSN, Midco, ASN or a local channel. UND wouldn't be as held up in their TV deal like the one they have with Midco. Every B1G game is also, at minimum, on BTN2Go to my knowledge. Which is free as long as you have BTN in your cable subscription. The only ones that aren't on BTN2Go are the ESPNews televised games, which are on the Watch ESPN app for free. 

Also very rare that UND would have to worry about games on weird days. Most of those odd day games are B1G schools scheduling around football/basketball games, which would be UND away games. Minnesota hasn't really been affected by that much at all, other than when they had friday-sunday series if they had a home football game saturday. UND makes their home schedule and if they want to play on Friday-Saturday they can choose that. The only difference you would likely see is a game occasionally starting at 8pm instead of 7:37 due TV.

And all we would have to accept in return is a weak conference schedule that does us no favors come NCAA tournament time. Thanks.....but no thanks.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, GFG said:

Edit: And you can't say it wouldn't be cool to invade places like Columbus and Ann Arbor with UND hockey fans. 

Your own fan base has already said how disconnected they have become from gopher hockey because they aren't planning their annual trips to Duluth, St. Cloud, etc..  Don't know how thrilling it would be to go to Joe Louis Arena and have the arena staff outnumber the fans.  The Target Center wasn't great, but tons better than the Big Ten tourney, and that was with only two area teams.

• Upvote 1