SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 Season

sioux24/7

If Calcaterra and Solomonson can box out and rebound this season and wisely use their 10 fouls, I am ok with them as an option.

Last year we got killed on the boards. Need more from that spot. Mitch Wilmer like numbers and effort would work.

UND isn't alone at the 5 spot, it is a constant weakness among low and mid-major teams.  Have to take some chances on kids and hope they develop.

True. UND has had better luck with developing under-the-radar high school recruits such as Brekke and Wilmer rather than transfers, but I do understand why you need to take a chance occasionally on a juco or other transfer and hope they pan out. But given the fact that both Brekke and Wilmer did end up panning out, I am just a little frustrated that there was such a long gap between recruiting those players and the recruitment of Cashman. I feel like Jones went the transfer route a little too much for a few years there, but clearly more of an emphasis has been placed on recruiting high schoolers the past year or two, so perhaps it's now a moot point.

True. UND has had better luck with developing under-the-radar high school recruits such as Brekke and Wilmer rather than transfers, but I do understand why you need to take a chance occasionally on a juco or other transfer and hope they pan out. But given the fact that both Brekke and Wilmer did end up panning out, I am just a little frustrated that there was such a long gap between recruiting those players and the recruitment of Cashman. I feel like Jones went the transfer route a little too much for a few years there, but clearly more of an emphasis has been placed on recruiting high schoolers the past year or two, so perhaps it's now a moot point.

Agree.  My guess is he thought he had a window to really make some noise and tried for a couple quick fixes instead of taking the long-term approach, especially after Brekke started having injury troubles.  Sacrificed some long-term gains for a quick term fix.  Almost worked.

Shanks should be the starter after Christmas. He is eligible for our game against Marquette which I think is right before Christmas. I think Cashman would probably be a better option than both Calc and Salmonson right now but I wouldn't mind seeing him redshirt.

Nash 100% to start at 4,Tyler 95%at 2, Coleman 80% to start at 3, Geno,Hooker, De Rouen  ALL 1 IN 3  odds to start at PG.  Stefan 20% to start at 3,  Calc 50% at 5, Salm 45%, Cashman 5%,   Shanks 75% of starting by end of season.

Agree.  My guess is he thought he had a window to really make some noise and tried for a couple quick fixes instead of taking the long-term approach, especially after Brekke started having injury troubles.  Sacrificed some long-term gains for a quick term fix.  Almost worked.

Oh what would have been if

The NCAA had a brain and let Nash play when Huff and company were juniors AND Seniors

Traylor had been able to stay eligible his junior year

Brekke never took that elbow

I think they could have put a few better banners up if those things wouldn't have happened. 

* ???  :sad: * sigh

• Upvote 1

Despite the granted elibility of De Rouen (which is for 2 years) I am still sticking with the lineup of

PG: Hooker

SG: Tyler

SF: Stefan

PF: Nash

C: Calc

I like to have Geno as my backup to Hooker, he can play a little 2 as well.  De Rouen and Antwi can back up Tyler at the 2.  You can make a case for Coleman starting instead of Stefan but I like that I can get him to play multiple places on the floor (including at the 4, which I think he can do).  Have Salmonson be a backup for either Nash or Calc.  Houbaugh can slide in at the 3 if need be and Benton can go in the 2,3,4 spot for minutes if necessary. 

When Shanks gets eligible

C: Shanks

Same reasoning, but now Calc and Salmonson can switch between 4 and 5.

We won't know a whole heck of a lot until one or us either hears something about how they are doing or until they have that scrimmage again.  I dug through last seasons threats and found the open scrimmage was Oct 19th of last year.  So perhaps it will be around that time again this year.

Despite the granted elibility of De Rouen (which is for 2 years) I am still sticking with the lineup of

C: Calc

I like to have Geno as my backup to Hooker, he can play a little 2 as well.  De Rouen and Antwi can back up Tyler at the 2.  You can make a case for Coleman starting instead of Stefan but I like that I can get him to play multiple places on the floor (including at the 4, which I think he can do).  Have Salmonson be a backup for either Nash or Calc.  Houbaugh can slide in at the 3 if need be and Benton can go in the 2,3,4 spot for minutes if necessary. 

When Shanks gets eligible

C: Shanks

Same reasoning, but now Calc and Salmonson can switch between 4 and 5.

We won't know a whole heck of a lot until one or us either hears something about how they are doing or until they have that scrimmage again.  I dug through last seasons threats and found the open scrimmage was Oct 19th of last year.  So perhaps it will be around that time again this year.

I do not see Stefen starting with guys like De Rouen and Coleman.  Also, there may be some issues with Stefen as far as eligibility from some things I have heard.  Come first game we will find out if this is true or not so that's all I am saying.

Oh what would have been if

The NCAA had a brain and let Nash play when Huff and company were juniors AND Seniors

Traylor had been able to stay eligible his junior year

Brekke never took that elbow

I think they could have put a few better banners up if those things wouldn't have happened. 

* ???  :sad: * sigh

Injuries, NCAA and eligibility really did hurt us in a big way.  Schuler was also one that missed a lot due to injury late his junior year and a lot of his senior year that could have changed things.  Not sure if this is normal for most D1 teams but it sure seemed like a lot for UND. 

I wouldn't argue with starting Coleman being at the 3 either, my reasoning for putting Stefan ahead of Coleman was that I would like the idea of having a 3 point threat out of 4 of the 5 starting spots and I think with the driving abilities of Hooker, Tyler, and Nash he is going to get a lot of open looks to bury.  I'd like to see that right out of the gate.

I wouldn't argue Coleman getting the nod, but I think he can be an early asset off the bench in the fact he could guard a little at the 4 if Nash needs a blow or is in foul trouble.  I would rather see him rather than Salmonson and Calc together at the 4 and 5, and we can still run small ball lineup with him at the 4.  He would be much better than trying to shoehorn Benton in there. 

I hope they can figure out Stefan's issue if that is the case.  If not, it will just give all the more reason to let Geno play from day 1 and give Houbaugh a few more minutes.

My lineups are with the assumption Geno plays day 1.  If he doesn't for whatever reason, then De Rouen become the primary backup point to Hooker and Antwi becomes the primary backup to Tyler.

Its going to be fun watching this team this year and see who will step up and lead.  Basketball starts in about a month and I cannot wait

I am starting to think that Coleman will definitely start over Stefan, assuming he's eligible. From what I have read and saw, it appears that Coleman is a good shooter and provides good defense and rebounding as bounce said. Stefan should be a nice threat off of the bench though.

Jeff Goodman ESPN polled coaches from the around the league

1) Weber State
2) Eastern Washington
3) Sacramento State
4) Northern Arizona
5) Northern Colorado
6) Portland State
7) Idaho
8) Montana
9) North Dakota
10) Idaho State
11) Montana State
12) Southern Utah

BLUE RIBBON BIG SKY FORECAST 1. Sacramento State 2. Weber State 3. Eastern Washington 4. Northern Arizona 5. Northern Colorado 6. Portland State 7. Montana 8. Idaho 9. North Dakota 10. Idaho State 11. Montana State 12. Southern Utah   ALL-CONFERENCE TEAM F-Venky Jois, JR, Eastern Washington F-Joel Bolomboy, JR, Weber State G-Quinton Upshur, SR, Northern Arizona G-Tyler Harvey, JR, Eastern Washington G-Mikh McKinney, SR, Sacramento State   PLAYER OF THE YEAR Joel Bolomboy, JR, Weber State   NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR Martin Breunig, JR, Montana 

Jeff Goodman ESPN polled coaches from the around the league

1) Weber State

2) Eastern Washington

3) Sacramento State

4) Northern Arizona

5) Northern Colorado

6) Portland State

7) Idaho

8) Montana

9) North Dakota

10) Idaho State

11) Montana State

12) Southern Utah

I would have to agree with the top 4 based on what they have coming back.  Surprised to see Montana all the way down to 8th and based on how tough Southern Utah was for us last year ( barely home win and road loss)  with them starting several freshmen last year I'm surprised they are picked last.  This is going to be one tough year and hopefully full of surprises for us.  We lost so much but I believe we have a lot of very solid new players that will contribute in a big way.

I would have to agree with the top 4 based on what they have coming back.  Surprised to see Montana all the way down to 8th and based on how tough Southern Utah was for us last year ( barely home win and road loss)  with them starting several freshmen last year I'm surprised they are picked last.  This is going to be one tough year and hopefully full of surprises for us.  We lost so much but I believe we have a lot of very solid new players that will contribute in a big way.

The goal needs to be to make the conference tournament and anything can happen from there.  I really think this team will be playing its best basketball at the end of the year.  I'm confident, but not sure that it will be good enough to win that tournament.  Its going to be a lot of fun to watch them come together.

The goal needs to be to make the conference tournament and anything can happen from there.  I really think this team will be playing its best basketball at the end of the year.  I'm confident, but not sure that it will be good enough to win that tournament.  Its going to be a lot of fun to watch them come together.

Agree, a lot of growing pains but hopefully they will figure things out in time so they can make the tournament.  Does 8 make it this year because of the extra team or still just 7?