SiouxSports.com Forum

Penn st is bowl eligible

Vegas_Sioux

Scott, Scott, Scott, the Congressional delegation from ND at that time daren't do that. Why? We'll use the most recent senate election to explain: Heidi Heitkamp got elected because she had monster majorities in the Reservation counties. Heidi knows what the Democrats in office then knew: Don't do anything to upset that portion of the electorate. Staying quiet was the safest thing they could do with their end true goal in mind, namely, staying in office. 

Scott, Scott, Scott, the Congressional delegation from ND at that time daren't do that. Why? We'll use the most recent senate election to explain: Heidi Heitkamp got elected because she had monster majorities in the Reservation counties. Heidi knows what the Democrats in office then knew: Don't do anything to upset that portion of the electorate. Staying quiet was the safest thing they could do with their end true goal in mind, namely, staying in office. 

That doesn't reconcile with the popular opinion here that 70%-80% of citizens in those counties were pro-Fighting Sioux...which very well may have been the case. 

That doesn't reconcile with the popular opinion here that 70%-80% of citizens in those counties were pro-Fighting Sioux...which very well may have been the case. 

If there's any chance to rock the boat and cause any sort of controversy a politician will flick away the red cape and side step (as bull rushes past). ... Ole! 

Hey Mr. Moderator, what's with the politics?  We aren't supposed to talk about that here, right? :whistling:

Hey Mr. Moderator, what's with the politics?  We aren't supposed to talk about that here, right? :whistling:

I didn't say anything about either party or any political issue.

I talked about politicians, demographics, prior election results, and how politicians behave. 

I didn't say anything about either party or any political issue.

I talked about politicians, demographics, prior election results, and how politicians behave. 

You might be right about the politics of it.  But I also think that North Dakotans are generally more passive (or practical, if you prefer) than, say, Floridians, and are less likely to want to pick a fight.  The Florida governor, AG, and delegation came out guns blazing when the policy was announced.  They were practically salivating for a fight.  From what I can recall, really, the only person that got really worked up at the time for UND was Kupchella.  If Kupchella is leading your fight, you're probably in trouble.  

It's hard to say what might have happened if North Dakota's politicians reacted with the same ferocity as Florida's politicians.  North Dakota's politicians don't carry the same weight as Florida's politicians.  But North Dakota's Senators were pretty high ranking at the time and, it seems to me, that they had the power to keep the story in the news if they chose to use their positions to do so.  The NCAA wanted to avoid media publicity at the time and exempting Florida State allowed the story to die.  Once the NCAA caved to Florida State, the issue was largely dropped from the news cycle and the NCAA was able to have its way with the remaining schools without much media scrutiny.