SiouxSports.com Forum

Penn st is bowl eligible

Vegas_Sioux

The NC$$ shouldn't have imposed those sanctions on them anyway.

Why? I think they should've gotten the death penalty like SMU but worse. The administration is scum for letting their coach do this and covering it up. This is worse than Ohio State, USC and SMU combined.

Why? I think they should've gotten the death penalty like SMU but worse. The administration is scum for letting their coach do this and covering it up. This is worse than Ohio State, USC and SMU combined.

And it had absolutely nothing to do with the players or their performance on/off the field.  They paid a price for the hubris of Paterno, Sandusky and a few administrators who are being prosecuted. 

Or why not take the punishment given out by the NCAA. But I guess bowl games are more important than child molestation victims.

Nobody is saying that...but is it fair to tell the 21-going-on-22 year old senior who had no idea what was going on "no worries, you can transfer anywhere you want to without penalty" while you torpedo the program?

And, let's be honest here, SMU isn't a valid comparison because players were involved in what was going on there.

Nobody is saying that...but is it fair to tell the 21-going-on-22 year old senior who had no idea what was going on "no worries, you can transfer anywhere you want to without penalty" while you torpedo the program?

And, let's be honest here, SMU isn't a valid comparison because players were involved in what was going on there.

It should be like SMU and cancel football for 2 years like you said and players be able to transfer to other colleges and play immediately. True it isn't fair to punish the kids when it was the coaches and AD that knew and covered it up.

It should be like SMU and cancel football for 2 years like you said and players be able to transfer to other colleges and play immediately. True it isn't fair to punish the kids when it was the coaches and AD that knew and covered it up.

There are no easy answers - yes, I think PSU should have gotten the death penalty.

Let me clarify what I wrote earlier regarding the death penalty.  I do believe PSU's football program should have been put on ice for one or two years.  However, once the NCAA simply decided to cripple its football program by 86'ing bowl games, decreasing scholarships, etc. is where I felt it was unfair to the current players.  Yea, they were free to leave and go to another school (and quite a few did) but what about those kids who liked Penn State and wanted to stay there?  Any player who stayed was punished...and they knew nothing.  The NCAA decided to sever a main artery and let the program limp forward.  Bill O'Brien did an admirable job keeping things together in his two years there and he's absolutely correct - the players who stayed deserved to be recognized by having their names put on the back of their jerseys.  Nothing can take away or even slightly relieve the pain of the victims of these atrocities.  Paterno's dead and Sandusky's rotting in a prison cell.  But continuing to punish the players at Penn State does no good for anyone.     

• 4 months later...

One can only guess the result of the Sioux moniker battle if NoDak's legislative and congressional delegations had grabbed their stones and stepped forward when the NC$$ initally got on its high horse.

Love the comments about the NC$$'s arrogance.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/05/sports/ncaafootball/how-one-legislator-helped-penn-state-escape-ncaas-harsh-penalties.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news