SiouxSports.com Forum

Does the Hockey Team Have a Disruptive Alcohol Culture?

Cratter

One again we hear how players for the hockey team are not only drinking, but getting in trouble with the law for it.

I think UND is averaging at least two hockey players per year for umpteen years now getting in trouble with the law because of alcohol. (Or when they are not at least rumored to be hurting themselves physically [toes] because of alcohol).

I guess that alcohol awareness (I can't remember the correct term) course Faison described for the team isn't working? What was the reason that the administration made them take these "counseling sessions" in the first place again?

If I was in Hakstol's position I'd have a team meeting before school starts and tell the team. That if you get in trouble for underage drinking or anything involving drinking that police are involved in there's the door. One way to send a message is suspend them from playing for half the season, if a player has another underage drinking incident he looses a season. 

This is getting old with all the underage drinking with this team year after year. For all the people who want to pull the "college experience" card, these guys are here to get an education and play hockey. They're not here to be a black eye to the University, the Community, and the Hockey Program.

So in this situation an RA saw an alcoholic beverage in their room and called the police.  By the looks of it, nobody was disorderly or drunk.  Everyone was polite and cooperated including taking the preliminary breath test.

Is this standard policy now to call the police if an RA sees ANY alcohol?  When I was around they'd take the alcohol and "read you up."

I by no means condone their consumption of alcohol, but wow things have changed.  These guys have to know they have a target on their backs.

• Upvote 1

Is this standard policy now to call the police if an RA sees ANY alcohol?  

No kidding. Back in the day, an RA would write you up if they saw alcohol (and you'd get a firm finger shaken at you by the hall director). If that was the policy back then, UPD would've had to set up a precinct office in the lobby of Walsh Hall. 

Seriously - the RA called the cops because of alcohol in the room?  Wow, times sure have changed...

I'm not going to bag on these guys, or pretend they're doing anything different from the general population.  If they are being targeted, they better realize it, and change their ways. 

Living in Fargo, the stuff that goes unreported by *cough* other school's athletes *cough* really makes me wonder why this even made the news.  Guess there's just less to report in GF?  Or the school is more forthcoming?  Either way, Hak will hand out discipline, and hopefully everyone can move forward.

College hockey athletes at any university drink alcohol but evidently at UND people really like to turn them in and punish them for some reason. A lot of times at other places people might turn a blind eye to this kind of thing and let it go because these guys are athletes and they wouldn't want to cause any problems for the athletic teams instead at UND we have people who want to turn them in and think they can make a name for themselves by turning athletes in because they are athletes.

Seriously - the RA called the cops because of alcohol in the room? Wow, times sure have changed...

I'm not going to bag on these guys, or pretend they're doing anything different from the general population. If they are being targeted, they better realize it, and change their ways.

Living in Fargo, the stuff that goes unreported by *cough* other school's athletes *cough* really makes me wonder why this even made the news. Guess there's just less to report in GF? Or the school is more forthcoming? Either way, Hak will hand out discipline, and hopefully everyone can move forward.

Was big news when Jensen got a minor. Don't see a reason for police to get involved over something like this.

The policy now I believe if that any alcohol is seen in the dorms by an RA is a straight call to the cops, this isn't a RA looking to make a name for his or her self and nail high profile athletes, this is a university wide policy.

President Kelley has made a big push to reduce North Dakota's (yes, it's prevalent throughout the entire state) drinking culture.  This is also evident by the stationing of police at REA student entrances to bar from entry and fine students with alcohol on their breath.

The policy now I believe if that any alcohol is seen in the dorms by an RA is a straight call to the cops, this isn't a RA looking to make a name for his or her self and nail high profile athletes, this is a university wide policy.

I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised... Anyone able to confirm what the actual policy is? Not that it matter though, as student athletes need to mature and grow up.  They know what the consequences are even if we don't here on ss.

Edit: I confirmed that cops do get called if there is any alcohol at all.

Sadly, I cannot quote previous posts, so I apologize if this seems random.

I wish I could find a link, but the policy has changed and now police can be contacted in any student situation that involves alcohol (not just athletes...ANY students and ANY situation).  I know that there have been other students busted on campus (non-athletes) and the police have been involved.  It just doesn't make the Herald.

I am having a hard time feeling sympathy for the players.  They absolutely knew better.  I would say the same thing about any other student busted with alcohol (or any other banned substance) on campus.  They know better.  The rules and policies are clearly explained to all students within the first couple days of living on campus.

They are 18-22 year old kids having fun. Let's not make this more than it really is.

Has it ever occurred to you that the reason for all those flat Saturday night performances after a big Friday win might be alcohol-related?  Is asking that question making this "more than it really is"?  I say no.

I bartended in Grand Forks for over four years downtown at a bar that was frequented by many of the boys during my time there. Friday, there were rarely any of them out downtown. Saturday was the night they came out if they were playing that weekend. Does this mean they don't drink on Friday? Maybe not. But they definitely we're more prevalant on Saturday.

I just hate this topic, because, yes, these kids are giving the team and the city a black eye, but should they be? Maybe it's time that we as a community come down off our high horses and stop condemning these kids for making mistakes that many other 18-22 year old kids make. Again, yes, I get it. They aren't "every other" kid at UND. ONLY because we make them more than they are. They are kids. Playing a game. IMO... move on.

Exactly.   Season's right around the corner....that 14-15 thread should be firing up soon :)

• Upvote 1

I have raised 3 kids & can say youth today do not worry about getting into trouble until it really hurts

Like was said earlier I never got caught because I cared & tried not to do stupid things or else I was really lucky but I think both

Today it seems to be about $$$ & or making examples of some as a way of solving the problem

Has it ever occurred to you that the reason for all those flat Saturday night performances after a big Friday win might be alcohol-related? Is asking that question making this "more than it really is"? I say no.

I went to college at UND and knew quite a few of the hockey players and no this doesn't happen. Kids got busted before school even started for having some beers. Let's get off our high horses here and just admit it's kids having fun. They will be punished internally and we will move on.