SiouxSports.com Forum

FBS games

darell1976

On 12/3/2017 at 9:17 PM, Siouxperfan7 said:

Solution:

8 team playoff. 5 autobids from the P5 conferences and 3 at large bids. Teams like Ohio St get rewarded for winning their conference Championship game in a P5 conference and teams like Alabama get rewarded for having a great season but failed to win their conference. Plus fans get 4 more real college football playoff games. Everybody wins!!

See 12 Team Playoff.  This 8 Team format sucks.  No diversity

2 hours ago, Herd said:

12 Team Playoff:  Here’s my Bracket in 2017

Conf Champ/Rank

ACC Clemson 1

B12 OK 2

SEC Georgia 3

B10 Ohio St 5

P12 USC 8

AAC UCF 10

MW Boise 25

MAC Toledo 28

CUSA FAU 31

SB Troy 35

AT Large/Rank: Take Top 5

Alabama 4

Wisconsin 6

Auburn 7

Penn St 9

Miami 11

Washington 12 (out)

TCU 13 (out)

ND 14 (Out)

Play-In Round 3Games: (No Shares) Loser not in Playoff, could goto Bowl Game. Winner in Playoff Bracket and earns 1 Share.

For 10 seed  Troy 35 vs UCF 10

For 11 seed: FAU 31 vs Miami 11

For 12 seed: Toledo 28 vs Boise 25

Play-In: At home of Higher Ranked Team

1st Round Playoff / 2nd Round Matchup

Penn St 9 vs USC 8  / Clemson 1

12 Seed Above vs Ohio St 5 / Alabama 4

11 Seed Above vs Wisconsin 6 / Georgia 3

10 Seed Above vs Auburn 7 / Oklahoma 2

1st Round Games - Home of Higher Ranked Team

2nd Round Games - Bowl Sites

3rd Round - Final 4 Site

Championship Site

Financial Shares:  awarded to Conferences

Spots 1-12:  1 Share each (12 Shares)

1 Share awarded for each win (11 Shares)

Total Playoff Shares = 23

Benefits:

Each FBS conference has an Avenue to the Champioship via Play-In Games. Bottom 6 Teams Of 15 Play-In.

128 teams competing for a national championship, not 4.

This Playoff would generate huge mo

Top 4 Ranked Teams only need to win 3 games to be Champion. Get Bye to 2nd Round.

Revenue can be earned by Smaller Conferences.  Distributes outside P5. At least 2 G5 Conferences will earn $ shares each year. Creates competition.

Uses same Committee Ranking system in place today. 

Fyi: I would eliminate Conf Championship Games, just play 12 game schedule to select Champs.

Have a playoff system like this and FCS teams won’t hesitate to move up. The current system of 4 is a joke, and even 8 teams will be a bigger joke if more g5 teams go undefeated only to be left out in favor of another p5 team. 

9 hours ago, Herd said:

12 Team Playoff:  Here’s my Bracket in 2017

Conf Champ/Rank

ACC Clemson 1

B12 OK 2

SEC Georgia 3

B10 Ohio St 5

P12 USC 8

AAC UCF 10

MW Boise 25

MAC Toledo 28

CUSA FAU 31

SB Troy 35

AT Large/Rank: Take Top 5

Alabama 4

Wisconsin 6

Auburn 7

Penn St 9

Miami 11

Washington 12 (out)

TCU 13 (out)

ND 14 (Out)

Play-In Round 3Games: (No Shares) Loser not in Playoff, could goto Bowl Game. Winner in Playoff Bracket and earns 1 Share.

For 10 seed  Troy 35 vs UCF 10

For 11 seed: FAU 31 vs Miami 11

For 12 seed: Toledo 28 vs Boise 25

Play-In: At home of Higher Ranked Team

1st Round Playoff / 2nd Round Matchup

Penn St 9 vs USC 8  / Clemson 1

12 Seed Above vs Ohio St 5 / Alabama 4

11 Seed Above vs Wisconsin 6 / Georgia 3

10 Seed Above vs Auburn 7 / Oklahoma 2

1st Round Games - Home of Higher Ranked Team

2nd Round Games - Bowl Sites

3rd Round - Final 4 Site

Championship Site

Financial Shares:  awarded to Conferences

Spots 1-12:  1 Share each (12 Shares)

1 Share awarded for each win (11 Shares)

Total Playoff Shares = 23

Benefits:

Each FBS conference has an Avenue to the Champioship via Play-In Games. Bottom 6 Teams Of 15 Play-In.

128 teams competing for a national championship, not 4.

This Playoff would generate huge mo

Top 4 Ranked Teams only need to win 3 games to be Champion. Get Bye to 2nd Round.

Revenue can be earned by Smaller Conferences.  Distributes outside P5. At least 2 G5 Conferences will earn $ shares each year. Creates competition.

Uses same Committee Ranking system in place today. 

Fyi: I would eliminate Conf Championship Games, just play 12 game schedule to select Champs.

Gross. Ruins the best season in American sports.

22 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Gross. Ruins the best season in American sports.

What “season” is this ruining?  The playoff isn’t a season, it’s game or two.  It’s Clemson vs Alabama every year.  Oh the drama in that.  This would include top teams and all champions.

So you advocate that the FCS playoff is . . . 

JMU vs Central Arkansas

NDSU vs. Jacksonville St

Winners decide it!

The current FCS playoff is gross and ruins FCS football?  That’s your opinion?

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Herd said:

What “season” is this ruining?  The playoff isn’t a season, it’s game or two.  It’s Clemson vs Alabama every year.  Oh the drama in that.  This would include top teams and all champions.

So you advocate that the FCS playoff is . . . 

JMU vs Central Arkansas

NDSU vs. Jacksonville St

Winners decide it!

The current FCS playoff is gross and ruins FCS football?  That’s your opinion?

The FBS regular season as a whole would be ruined. Half the fun is that many big games are basically playoff games. (Notre Dame knocked out USC, Miami knocked out Notre Dame, Clemson knocked out Miami, etc.)

I don't know about the FCS playoffs. A 6-5 team has gotten an At-large bid in the past. 7-4 teams get in often. That's ridiculous. 

50 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

The FBS regular season as a whole would be ruined. Half the fun is that many big games are basically playoff games. (Notre Dame knocked out USC, Miami knocked out Notre Dame, Clemson knocked out Miami, etc.)

I don't know about the FCS playoffs. A 6-5 team has gotten an At-large bid in the past. 7-4 teams get in often. That's ridiculous. 

That is what people said about having any playoff. It has been proven false......by a country mile.

There are 130 FBS teams total. The NCAA standard for size of playoff fields is 25% of the total number of schools sponsoring the sport. That would make 32 the cut-off for FBS. So even a 16 team playoff would be well below the threshhold.

Even if it is easier to get in, teams are still going to fight for the best seed they can possibly get.

What really degrades the almighty regular season is having 40+ bowl games and running out of 6 win teams to put in them.

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

That is what people said about having any playoff. It has been proven false......by a country mile.

There are 130 FBS teams total. The NCAA standard for size of playoff fields is 25% of the total number of schools sponsoring the sport. That would make 32 the cut-off for FBS. So even a 16 team playoff would be well below the threshhold.

Even if it is easier to get in, teams are still going to fight for the best seed they can possibly get.

What really degrades the almighty regular season is having 40+ bowl games and running out of 6 win teams to put in them.

4 is perfect. Keep it exclusive. 

I think they should get rid of about half the bowls but I dont let it bug me. 

4 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Alabama got knocked out by Auburn.... oh wait, no that didn't happen

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cberkas said:

Just shows how broken that playoff system is and it doesn’t make sense to move up unless you join a p5 conference. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cberkas said:

The team UCF just beat is the only team to beat the two teams in the "championship" this year.  I know you can't extrapolate like that, but the Knights got screwed.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Just shows how broken that playoff system is and it doesn’t make sense to move up unless you join a p5 conference. 

It is time for FBS P5 and G5 divisions, with a playoff bracket for each. The gap in resources and media exposure between those two groups is wide and getting wider.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...
20 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So the big story right now is Urban Meyer has been put on administrative leave.  Going to be interesting to see what happens, but I would suspect that Urban isn't coming back... 

but then again... it is OSU.  

I wouldn't be surprised if he's fired.