SiouxSports.com Forum

FBS games

darell1976

The committee wasn't going to let in a 2 loss team over a 1 loss team.

UCF just proved that a G5 team will never get an invite to the playoffs.

I didn't think Auburn should have be in the discussion to make the playoff if they won the SEC. They had 2 losses going into the SEC title game.

There needs to be a push for the P5 to play only FBS teams. There are some teams in P5 conferences that are pretty much an FCS team.

1 hour ago, Feff said:

Any thoughts on the fbs playoff field? Has Alabama just proven they can get away with scheduling nobody? 

1 hour ago, Feff said:

Any thoughts on the fbs playoff field? Has Alabama just proven they can get away with scheduling nobody? 

So #3 FSU at the time is nobody. Ohio St and Alabama’s non conference games very comparable 

12 hours ago, swl010 said:

So #3 FSU at the time is nobody. Ohio St and Alabama’s non conference games very comparable 

Alabama had great luck with Florida St sucking. The point of scheduling that game is getting a big time W to look good come playoff time. Alabama didn't have a marquee win this year. Are they a top 4 team. I have no idea. 

If Ohio St had scheduled Ohio instead of Oklahoma they'd definitely be in the playoff.

If USC had scheduled UNLV instead of Notre Dame, they'd possibly be in the playoff. 

14 hours ago, swl010 said:

Preseason rankings are a joke and have been shown to be pretty inaccurate to actual results, FSU showed that this year. I also thought they were highly overrated at #3 you start the season and part of that was to drum up early season interest (read as media hype and tv rating) for the Alabama game. 

At the end of the season who did Alabama beat? An ok Miss St team and a subpar LSU rivalry game with a cakewalk like Mercer on the late season schedule. 

Am i saying Alabama is bad? No. Just committees and rankings constantly overvalue them simply because of who they are. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, cberkas said:

The committee wasn't going to let in a 2 loss team over a 1 loss team.

UCF just proved that a G5 team will never get an invite to the playoffs.

I didn't think Auburn should have be in the discussion to make the playoff if they won the SEC. They had 2 losses going into the SEC title game.

There needs to be a push for the P5 to play only FBS teams. There are some teams in P5 conferences that are pretty much an FCS team.

UCF just proves what’s the point of moving up to the FBS when there is ZERO chance at a National Title. At least in basketball the little guy has that chance, in football there is no chance. I hope UND doesn’t move up unless the g5 conferences get their own playoff and national title. Or have the FBS playoff include ALL conference winners. 

22 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

UCF just proves what’s the point of moving up to the FBS when there is ZERO chance at a National Title. At least in basketball the little guy has that chance, in football there is no chance. I hope UND doesn’t move up unless the g5 conferences get their own playoff and national title. Or have the FBS playoff include ALL conference winners. 

UCF didn't beat anyone. 

9 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

UCF didn't beat anyone. 

Actually they beat everyone on their schedule. Alabama played Mercer....MERCER!  It’s not UCF’s fault they are in a g5 conference and the FBS playoffs are rigged only for p5 teams only. Boise St was denied a chance how many times in the past. Unless you are in a p5 conference there is NO WAY you are getting picked over an Ohio St or Alabama. 

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

But UCF played a heck of a MBB game against Memphis Saturday at 62-55. 

Huh?
What's that?
That was ... a football score:huh:

Can we borrow their offense? I would love our team to score over 50 points of course giving up 62 points would suck.

How was Ohio State even considered in the top 4? I just didn't understand the argument there? They had 2 losses and one of them was a blow out loss to IOWA. As much as I don't want to see BAMA in the mix again, it would've been ridiculous seeing them being left out after only 1 loss on the road vs Auburn. 

47 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Actually they beat everyone on their schedule. Alabama played Mercer....MERCER!  It’s not UCF’s fault they are in a g5 conference and the FBS playoffs are rigged only for p5 teams only. Boise St was denied a chance how many times in the past. Unless you are in a p5 conference there is NO WAY you are getting picked over an Ohio St or Alabama. 

I'm not claiming Alabama did anything special this year. 

Boise St never got denied anything. UCF wasn't denied anything. They played one P5 game. Against 4-8 Maryland. Thats not going to win you much support. Sorry. 

3 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

How was Ohio State even considered in the top 4? I just didn't understand the argument there? They had 2 losses and one of them was a blow out loss to IOWA. As much as I don't want to see BAMA in the mix again, it would've been ridiculous seeing them being left out after only 1 loss on the road vs Auburn. 

The Iowa loss was really bad but Ohio State did have 2 top 10 wins as well as a win over #18 compared to Alabama only having 1 top 20 win. Watching them Alabama is probably better but Ohio State definitely had a better resume. USC is probably playing better than both of them right now and deserved a little more consideration than they got as well. Alabama didn't really play anyone aside from Auburn and I think Clemson will take care of them but Saban will have plenty of ammunition to get his team locked in for this game. 

3 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Not to mention Ohio State while they proved they were the best of the 4 teams in the playoffs a couple years back and ended up winning the national title, they actually made a case for 8 teams being in as they probably shouldn't have even been in the playoff that year over TCU or Baylor.

4 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Agree with this and I do think committee is setting themselves up for teams to start playing easier schedules since Oklahoma loss affect Ohio St (along with Iowa).  I think everyone is forgetting the true team that got hosed in Auburn.  They beat Alabama and Georgia.  Not their fault they had to play Georgia again while Alabama got to sit home.

Look at the losses Ohio State has 2 and Aubrun didn’t get hosed they have 3 losses. If Alabama had 2 losses then Wisconsin should have been in over Ohio State, even though they lost to Ohio State. 

The only problem I see happening with going to 8 with conference champions getting autobids is, when a conference champion has 3 losses when there are teams with 1 loss that get left out. There is really no perfect way to do the playoff unless you have 12 or 16 teams in the playoffs. 

Its time for the P5 to stop playing FCS teams and have all conferences play the same number of conference games. Alabama or anyone can’t predict where someone is ranked whey they play them when the schedules are made.

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

Look at the losses Ohio State has 2 and Aubrun didn’t get hosed they have 3 losses. If Alabama had 2 losses then Wisconsin should have been in over Ohio State, even though they lost to Ohio State. 

The only problem I see happening with going to 8 with conference champions getting autobids is, when a conference champion has 3 losses when there are teams with 1 loss that get left out. There is really no perfect way to do the playoff unless you have 12 or 16 teams in the playoffs. 

Its time for the P5 to stop playing FCS teams and have all conferences play the same number of conference games. Alabama or anyone can’t predict where someone is ranked whey they play them when the schedules are made.

I didn't even realize Auburn was at 3 losses.  Forgot about that loss to Clemson.  But still 2 of losses are to playoff teams and they beat one of those teams.  Not saying they should be in ahead anymore but that is a tough schedule.

12 Team Playoff:  Here’s my Bracket in 2017

Conf Champ/Rank

ACC Clemson 1

B12 OK 2

SEC Georgia 3

B10 Ohio St 5

P12 USC 8

AAC UCF 10

MW Boise 25

MAC Toledo 28

CUSA FAU 31

SB Troy 35

AT Large/Rank: Take Top 5

Alabama 4

Wisconsin 6

Auburn 7

Penn St 9

Miami 11

Washington 12 (out)

TCU 13 (out)

ND 14 (Out)

Play-In Round 3Games: (No Shares) Loser not in Playoff, could goto Bowl Game. Winner in Playoff Bracket and earns 1 Share.

For 10 seed  Troy 35 vs UCF 10

For 11 seed: FAU 31 vs Miami 11

For 12 seed: Toledo 28 vs Boise 25

Play-In: At home of Higher Ranked Team

1st Round Playoff / 2nd Round Matchup

Penn St 9 vs USC 8  / Clemson 1

12 Seed Above vs Ohio St 5 / Alabama 4

11 Seed Above vs Wisconsin 6 / Georgia 3

10 Seed Above vs Auburn 7 / Oklahoma 2

1st Round Games - Home of Higher Ranked Team

2nd Round Games - Bowl Sites

3rd Round - Final 4 Site

Championship Site

Financial Shares:  awarded to Conferences

Spots 1-12:  1 Share each (12 Shares)

1 Share awarded for each win (11 Shares)

Total Playoff Shares = 23

Benefits:

Each FBS conference has an Avenue to the Champioship via Play-In Games. Bottom 6 Teams Of 15 Play-In.

128 teams competing for a national championship, not 4.

This Playoff would generate huge mo

Top 4 Ranked Teams only need to win 3 games to be Champion. Get Bye to 2nd Round.

Revenue can be earned by Smaller Conferences.  Distributes outside P5. At least 2 G5 Conferences will earn $ shares each year. Creates competition.

Uses same Committee Ranking system in place today. 

Fyi: I would eliminate Conf Championship Games, just play 12 game schedule to select Champs.