SiouxSports.com Forum

FBS games

darell1976

Did anyone see the "Send 'em home" and "#trail_of_tears" sign some OSU fans had on GameDay? The official OSU Twitter folks "favorited" the picture, then "unfavorited" it later saying they didn't see the hashtag reference. My guess the intern running the Twitter account had no idea what the Trail of Tears was until someone explained it to him or her.

http://m.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/osusportsextra/blog/osu-sports-trail-of-tears-sign-at-espn-college-gameday/article_fb90b9ae-a265-5942-9911-ab9051463d28.html

The NCAA...it's only a racist nickname if it's Fighting Sioux.

SDSU's quarterback, Austin Sumner, the pre-season all-MVFC pick, out for 6-8 weeks.  I haven't heard the official report of the injury but unofficial reports say broken bone in foot very early in the Missouri game.  SDSU has a competent backup who stepped right in (played one year in California Juco) and did okay.  SDSU hosts Cal Poly next weekend.

USD's quarterback, Kevin Earl, the pre-season #2 QB in the MVFC, out for 6-8 weeks too.  He broke his thumb on his throwing hand in the Oregon game.  I don't know what they have for a backup.  Josh VanderMaaten had been the starting QB for USD last year but was replaced mid-season by Earl and moved to wide receiver.  I wonder if VanderMaaten will come in on a temporary basis...next week USD hosts something called William Penn.

Meanwhile, NDSU's QB looked very good.  Sure, ISU is suspect and once they got punched, seemed to lie down and take a beating from the Bison.

SDSU's quarterback, Austin Sumner, the pre-season all-MVFC pick, out for 6-8 weeks. I haven't heard the official report of the injury but unofficial reports say broken bone in foot very early in the Missouri game.

USD's quarterback, Kevin Earl, the pre-season #2 QB in the MVFC, out for 6-8 weeks too. He broke his thumb on his throwing hand in the Oregon game. I don't know what they have for a backup.

Talk about some bad luck. All for making a few bucks as a punching bag for a FBS school, especially USD.

SDSU's quarterback, Austin Sumner, the pre-season all-MVFC pick, out for 6-8 weeks.  I haven't heard the official report of the injury but unofficial reports say broken bone in foot very early in the Missouri game.  SDSU has a competent backup who stepped right in (played one year in California Juco) and did okay.  SDSU hosts Cal Poly next weekend.

USD's quarterback, Kevin Earl, the pre-season #2 QB in the MVFC, out for 6-8 weeks too.  He broke his thumb on his throwing hand in the Oregon game.  I don't know what they have for a backup.  Josh VanderMaaten had been the starting QB for USD last year but was replaced mid-season by Earl and moved to wide receiver.  I wonder if VanderMaaten will come in on a temporary basis...next week USD hosts something called William Penn.

Meanwhile, NDSU's QB looked very good.  Sure, ISU is suspect and once they got punched, seemed to lie down and take a beating from the Bison.

I think SDSU should do okay since they rely on Zenner, but USD is in a world of hurt. 

Talk about some bad luck. All for making a few bucks as a punching bag for a FBS school, especially USD.

I would rather have an injury during an FBS game and get a big chunk of change then get an injury during a team like Valpo, or a DII team. Injuries can happen against anyone.

I saw Sumner go down, it looked odd.  Hope he makes it back for the end of the season.  The backup didn't look over matched and remember how Sumner took over.. that worked out OK.

I hated hearing about Earl going down.  I really thought that he played well at times last year and USD looked like it was going to get things going..  Looks like the Soph. Seager took over in the game.  I guess they could move VanderMatten back to QB it kind of reminds me of the Hanson/Hendrickson situation UND has a couple of years again.

Since, we talking about SD QB.  I was shocked to see Montana's old QB is at SDSM&T - "former Montana starting quarterback Trent McKinney" is playing for the Schools of Mines.  It sounds like they beat out - Mankato St and Central Washington in a recruiting battle.  NOTE to all UND fans:  SDSM&T had a good NAIA football program back in the early 80s but nothing since, we are talking about years of 1 or 2 wins a season.  When I was in Rapid City I think they won 8 games in the 5 years..    The other thing that might be working in SDSM&T favor is Rapid City is looking to build a new $180 million dollar arena.  I think the specs are for 19,000 in a football configuration.  So, the Schools of Mines could be playing in the nicest facility in all of the Dakotas in 3 or 4 years.

Who would have thought..

http://rapidcityjournal.com/sports/college-football-finding-a-home/article_c5d5f76f-f2b2-5deb-aefb-1f049946512c.html 

Arena discussion

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/finance-plans-for-civic-center-expansion-nearing-full-swing/article_5e136852-e931-554d-9505-80c5b1c8349f.html

I saw Sumner go down, it looked odd.  Hope he makes it back for the end of the season.  The backup didn't look over matched and remember how Sumner took over.. that worked out OK.

I hated hearing about Earl going down.  I really thought that he played well at times last year and USD looked like it was going to get things going..  Looks like the Soph. Seager took over in the game.  I guess they could move VanderMatten back to QB it kind of reminds me of the Hanson/Hendrickson situation UND has a couple of years again.

Since, we talking about SD QB.  I was shocked to see Montana's old QB is at SDSM&T - "former Montana starting quarterback Trent McKinney" is playing for the Schools of Mines.  It sounds like they beat out - Mankato St and Central Washington in a recruiting battle.  NOTE to all UND fans:  SDSM&T had a good NAIA football program back in the early 80s but nothing since, we are talking about years of 1 or 2 wins a season.  When I was in Rapid City I think they won 8 games in the 5 years..    The other thing that might be working in SDSM&T favor is Rapid City is looking to build a new $180 million dollar arena.  I think the specs are for 19,000 in a football configuration.  So, the Schools of Mines could be playing in the nicest facility in all of the Dakotas in 3 or 4 years.

Who would have thought..

http://rapidcityjournal.com/sports/college-football-finding-a-home/article_c5d5f76f-f2b2-5deb-aefb-1f049946512c.html 

Arena discussion

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/finance-plans-for-civic-center-expansion-nearing-full-swing/article_5e136852-e931-554d-9505-80c5b1c8349f.html

Good move getting into the Rocky Mt. Athletic Conference too.  Plus, good win over BHSU last year.  

Them Engeners are on a roll!  (I grew up in Rapid...) 

Good move getting into the Rocky Mt. Athletic Conference too.  Plus, good win over BHSU last year.  

Them Engeners are on a roll!  (I grew up in Rapid...) 

Actually, they do not start football in the Rocky Mt. until 2016. Black Hills State got in 2012.  Apparently, Colorado Schools of Mines did not want another engineering only school in the conference.  But, that changed earlier this year.  Good thing because I am not sure how long they could handle being in the GNAC.  I see that Rocky Mt has baseball.  I always thought that SDSMT should have a baseball team.  Lots of local talent, I would love to see it happen.  One thing about SDSMT Title IX not much of problem.  You a Raider or Cobbler..  I loved my time at the mine - that area is a blast.. 

For UND fans that don't know about O'Harra Stadium it is great..  I think that it is the only stadium of its type in the country.  You can literally drive and park at the 50 yard line and watch the game.  We did a little tailgate (had to keep the grill and the drinks out of sight ) while we were at the game back in the day.

http://www.sdsmt.edu/Athletics/Mens-Teams/Football/Facilities/

The Rocky Mtn conference will a challenge for them it will be fun to watch.

Hayduke: I would have put you in with the 'weavers', not the 'tinkers'. :) (For the uninitiated: you just have to know a little about the SD Mines v Black Hills State rivalry.)

He seem like a jolly good fellow that likes to drink his whiskey clear..  

Nebraska leads McNeese State 21-14 halftime

Wisconsin leads Western Illinois 9-3 10:01 3rd Qtr

Iowa State leads Kansas State 28-20 Halftime 

Western Kentucky leads Illinois 17-14 Halftime

Central Michigan leads Purdue 21-7 14:3rd Qtr. I thought it was funny Rece Davis from ESPN uses "power 5 loosely when he talks about Purdue."

Mizzou leads Toledo 28-7 Halftime.