SiouxSports.com Forum

NFL 2014 Season

MafiaMan

Pre-season musings...

Adrian Peterson, on who the Vikings QB ahould be:

"Going off of understanding the offense and who's running the offense better right now, you know, nothing to do with talent-wise, so that's why Matt has the edge..."

I have no comment on the long, drawn-out, rambling sentence there but wow, talk about a back-handed endorsement of Matt Cassel...

Does any QB have worse luck than the Rams' Sam Bradford? St Louis will regret investing in Bradford, unfortunately.

Blake Bortles looks like the real deal.

Tampa Bay's new uniforms are awfully tough to watch on TV.

Anybody else think that Kirk Cousins just might be a better QB than RG III?

I'm not a fan of Pete Carroll but there's no denying that he's done a heck-of-a job with the Seahawks.

San Francisco must be hiding all of its offensive tricks until the regular season. If not, they're in trouble.

Uttering a slur in practice gets a coach suspended for 3 regular season games. Video-tape showing a player dragging his unconscious girlfriend off an elevator gets him suspended for 2 regular season games. Go figure...

Detroit's Nick Fairley looks like he ATE last year's Nick Fairley. Terrible draft choice.

Miami's best shot at winning this season might be to bring back Dan Marino, Tony Nathan, Mark Clayton, and Mark Duper. And those uniforms are awful.

Every time I look at Eli Manning, my immediate thought is Woody Harrelson in "White Men Can't Jump" going berserk yelling "Opie Taylor? I ain't your Opie Taylor!"

OK, OK, I get it. You have a boatload of NFL titles. But when you've won 2 championships in the last almost-50 years, are you REALLY "Titletown, USA"?

I see the Houston Texans...but I want to see the Houston Oilers.

The San Antonio Raiders? Yikes.

I like the Eagles in the NFC East.

Denver won't make the Super Bowl.

It's almost hard to believe that Matt Flynn was brought in to be Seattle's QB of the future.

When I hear the name "Colts," I still think of Baltimore. Man, I'm old...

Really hated to see the HHH Metrodome torn down. What an iconic stadium.

Just kidding! That place had all the aesthetic appeal of a toxic waste dump.

I bet Jerry Jones is a real prick to work for.

The Atlanta Falcons will rebound this year and make the playoffs.

The Steelers uniforms just scream "tough."

Cleveland dumping Trent Richardson on Indianapolis was pure genius.

That's enough for now...anyone else with some random NFL thoughts?

Pre-season musings...

Adrian Peterson, on who the Vikings QB ahould be:

"Going off of understanding the offense and who's running the offense better right now, you know, nothing to do with talent-wise, so that's why Matt has the edge..."

I have no comment on the long, drawn-out, rambling sentence there but wow, talk about a back-handed endorsement of Matt Cassel...

Does any QB have worse luck than the Rams' Sam Bradford? St Louis will regret investing in Bradford, unfortunately.

Blake Bortles looks like the real deal.

Tampa Bay's new uniforms are awfully tough to watch on TV.

Anybody else think that Kirk Cousins just might be a better QB than RG III?

I'm not a fan of Pete Carroll but there's no denying that he's done a heck-of-a job with the Seahawks.

San Francisco must be hiding all of its offensive tricks until the regular season. If not, they're in trouble.

Uttering a slur in practice gets a coach suspended for 3 regular season games. Video-tape showing a player dragging his unconscious girlfriend off an elevator gets him suspended for 2 regular season games. Go figure...

Detroit's Nick Fairley looks like he ATE last year's Nick Fairley. Terrible draft choice.

Miami's best shot at winning this season might be to bring back Dan Marino, Tony Nathan, Mark Clayton, and Mark Duper. And those uniforms are awful.

Every time I look at Eli Manning, my immediate thought is Woody Harrelson in "White Men Can't Jump" going berserk yelling "Opie Taylor? I ain't your Opie Taylor!"

OK, OK, I get it. You have a boatload of NFL titles. But when you've won 2 championships in the last almost-50 years, are you REALLY "Titletown, USA"?

I see the Houston Texans...but I want to see the Houston Oilers.

The San Antonio Raiders? Yikes.

I like the Eagles in the NFC East.

Denver won't make the Super Bowl.

It's almost hard to believe that Matt Flynn was brought in to be Seattle's QB of the future.

When I hear the name "Colts," I still think of Baltimore. Man, I'm old...

Really hated to see the HHH Metrodome torn down. What an iconic stadium.

Just kidding! That place had all the aesthetic appeal of a toxic waste dump.

I bet Jerry Jones is a real prick to work for.

The Atlanta Falcons will rebound this year and make the playoffs.

The Steelers uniforms just scream "tough."

Cleveland dumping Trent Richardson on Indianapolis was pure genius.

That's enough for now...anyone else with some random NFL thoughts?

You forgot to mention your man crush on ARog only slightly pales in comparrision to the one you have on Goon!

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously, can the AFC East just give New England to another division? I'm so tired of everyone in that division sucking. Miami looks like Jacksonville State out there against the Patriots.

Shut off the game and go outside with team down 17-7 and having fumbled again ..Dolphins win by 13. Go figure.

Vikings win Mike Zimmer's NFL Head Coaching debut 34-7 over the Rams.  Nice to see a Vikings defense score a TD again, it feels like the last time it happened was about 100 years ago.  Nice game by Cordelle Patterson.  AP had some tough sledding against that Rams D-Line, but still managed 75 yards.  Now if the Lions lose to the Giants on Monday night, the Vikings will be in first place in the NFC North.  Skol Vikings!!!

• Upvote 1

WOW Cowboys 3 turnovers already.

The Cowgirls will remain a joke as long as Jerry Jones is the owner of the franchise.  I might be alone in this thinking, but I think the Vikings trading AP to the Cowgirls is not as crazy of an idea as it looks on the surface.  If there is one owner in the NFL that can be hoodwinked into giving up too much for one player, it's Jerry Jones (with Daniel Snyder a solid second).  Ziggy Wilf could wipe the bad taste of the Hershel Walker Trade out of the mouths of Vikings fans and fleece the Cowgirls at the same time.

• Upvote 1

The Cowgirls will remain a joke as long as Jerry Jones is the owner of the franchise. I might be alone in this thinking, but I think the Vikings trading AP to the Cowgirls is not as crazy of an idea as it looks on the surface. If there is one owner in the NFL that can be hoodwinked into giving up too much for one player, it's Jerry Jones (with Daniel Snyder a solid second). Ziggy Wilf could wipe the bad taste of the Hershel Walker Trade out of the mouths of Vikings fans and fleece the Cowgirls at the same time.

Jerry Jones bought the cowboys a few months before the Walker trade. I'm sure he remembers it well.

Fixed your post!

Romo isn't a top-notch QB in the NFL; he's good but not great.  But it's Jones that signs the checks.  It's Jones that plays GM when he has no business playing GM.  It's Jones that meddles way too much; if he didn't meddle as much as he does Jimmy Johnson wouldn't have quit after back-to-back Super Bowl titles and they probably would have won 4 or 5 straight titles (no kidding, they were really stacked in the early to mid 90's).  The Cowgirls could have Joe Montana or John Elway in their primes and they still wouldn't win a championship because of Jerry Jones and his constant meddling in personnel decisions, which should be made by somebody that understands personnel better.  Same with the Redskins (sorry PC zealots, I will not call them "The Washington Team" or whatever other nonsense you come up with) and Daniel Snyder.

And one more thing, you cannot blame Romo for that sorry excuse of a defense that the Cowgirls have (again) this year.  And that goes back to Jerry Jones playing GM and making poor draft choices and poor free agent signings.  The fancy stadium can't fix those problems.

Jerry Jones bought the cowboys a few months before the Walker trade. I'm sure he remembers it well.

Yes, I am sure he does.  But that won't stop him from giving into the temptation of giving up way too much for a player that he falls in love with.  AP seems to be his latest love interest.  If the opportunity presents itself, I hope Spielman and Wilf take Jones to the cleaners and suck as many players and draft picks out of that organization as they can.  My least favorite team is the Packers by a mile, but the Cowgirls easily rank in the top five of my NFL "Axis of Evil" list. :angry:

Romo isn't a top-notch QB in the NFL; he's good but not great. But it's Jones that signs the checks. It's Jones that plays GM when he has no business playing GM. It's Jones that meddles way too much; if he didn't meddle as much as he does Jimmy Johnson wouldn't have quit after back-to-back Super Bowl titles and they probably would have won 4 or 5 straight titles (no kidding, they were really stacked in the early to mid 90's). The Cowgirls could have Joe Montana or John Elway in their primes and they still wouldn't win a championship because of Jerry Jones and his constant meddling in personnel decisions, which should be made by somebody that understands personnel better. Same with the Redskins (sorry PC zealots, I will not call them "The Washington Team" or whatever other nonsense you come up with) and Daniel Snyder.

And one more thing, you cannot blame Romo for that sorry excuse of a defense that the Cowgirls have (again) this year. And that goes back to Jerry Jones playing GM and making poor draft choices and poor free agent signings. The fancy stadium can't fix those problems.

Jimmy Johnson didn't quit as Cowboys' coach...Jerry Jones fired him.
  • Upvote 1

Romo isn't a top-notch QB in the NFL; he's good but not great. But it's Jones that signs the checks. It's Jones that plays GM when he has no business playing GM. It's Jones that meddles way too much; if he didn't meddle as much as he does Jimmy Johnson wouldn't have quit after back-to-back Super Bowl titles and they probably would have won 4 or 5 straight titles (no kidding, they were really stacked in the early to mid 90's). The Cowgirls could have Joe Montana or John Elway in their primes and they still wouldn't win a championship because of Jerry Jones and his constant meddling in personnel decisions, which should be made by somebody that understands personnel better. Same with the Redskins (sorry PC zealots, I will not call them "The Washington Team" or whatever other nonsense you come up with) and Daniel Snyder.

And one more thing, you cannot blame Romo for that sorry excuse of a defense that the Cowgirls have (again) this year. And that goes back to Jerry Jones playing GM and making poor draft choices and poor free agent signings. The fancy stadium can't fix those problems.

Speaking of the new stadium, is it just me or did it seem like a home game for the 49ers?

It's funny you should mention that defense given the loss of DeMarcus Ware this year. In the 2005 draft, over-rated player expert Bill Parcells wanted to draft Marcus Spears and was over-ruled by Jones, who wanted Ware. Ironically enough, Spears was still available at #20 and wound up with the Cowboys anyways. No way the Cowboys get Ware if they took Spears at #11.

Wow the new elevator video of Ray Rice makes him look even worse than before hard to believe he only got 2 games for what he did.

Everyone knew what happened in that elevator - the video wasn't even necessary. Welcome to the NFL - where a coach gets suspended for 3 games for making a disparaging comment in a practice and a player gets 2 games for punching a woman in the face and dragging her out of an elevator.

I dunno, fs4l, why don't you try telling your next interviewer that you were "fired" from your job and see what the reaction is as opposed to telling him/her that you "quit."

Jerry Jones is a prick, I get it.  But Jimmy Johnson went out of his way to publicly humiliate Jerry every chance he got and Jerry was finally fed up with it, so he canned Jimmy.  Then, just to show Jimmy that practically anyone could take that Cowboys team to a Super Bowl and win it, he hired retread Barry Switzer. 

I dunno, fs4l, why don't you try telling your next interviewer that you were "fired" from your job and see what the reaction is as opposed to telling him/her that you "quit."

Jerry Jones is a prick, I get it.  But Jimmy Johnson went out of his way to publicly humiliate Jerry every chance he got and Jerry was finally fed up with it, so he canned Jimmy.  Then, just to show Jimmy that practically anyone could take that Cowboys team to a Super Bowl and win it, he hired retread Barry Switzer. 

Yes, they won a title with Barry Switzer.  But they weren't nearly the same disciplined team without Johnson in charge.  And they probably would have won the Super Bowl in 1995 instead of the 49ers if Johnson had still been there.  And you are right, Johnson is just as much of an egomaniac as Jones is.  I just think it's funny how they couldn't put their differences aside and focus on the business of winning games and titles.