SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 College Hockey (non UND hockey)

MafiaMan

Does anyone know how good St. Cloud State will be this year? Have they lost a lot through graduation?

More smoke about Arizona State being serious about adding hockey. Wouldn't the NCHC be their best option?

http://www.collegeho...ad_wants_to.php

NCHC would be the best option.

Much better.

Nic Dowd (22 goals, 18 assists) is obviously a big loss for SCSU. Four-year player for the Huskies. I honestly don't know too much else about their squad, but he was solid last year.

AZ State's only real choice would be the NCHC. I'm sure Colorado College and Denver would both like that road trip.

• Upvote 1

Much better.

Nic Dowd (22 goals, 18 assists) is obviously a big loss for SCSU. Four-year player for the Huskies. I honestly don't know too much else about their squad, but he was solid last year.

AZ State's only real choice would be the NCHC. I'm sure Colorado College and Denver would both like that road trip.

If Arizona State does add D1 men's and woman's hockey. Does the NCHC add them without adding another team, same thing with the WCHA for woman's hockey?

Much better.

Everyone likes that road trip. Tempe in the winter? Yes, please.

Big XII Commish was just on Doug Gotlieb ESPN Radio show and said the stipend will be for ALL athletes....

..... Which includes Big Ten Hockey teams. I sure hope the NCHC agrees to offer stipends. I don't think the WCHA or Atlantic Hockey, ECAC will be able to afford them. Gives the NCHC a wider recruiting gap margin over those three conferences.

The NCHC, BTH, Hockey East will be the College Hockey haves... Lets get Arizona State on board too.

Schlossman posted in the comments on his blog that there will be more info on TV options for fans.

I'm curious if the conference was able to do some work on the exclusivity clause like I've been saying they would try to do. It will be interesting to see how everything plays out.

Schlossman posted in the comments on his blog that there will be more info on TV options for fans.

I'm curious if the conference was able to do some work on the exclusivity clause like I've been saying they would try to do. It will be interesting to see how everything plays out.

Was gfhockey your source? Cause if not, I don't believe a word of it!

All he said was to check back Friday.

The biggest complaint about UND’s new hockey league, the National Collegiate Hockey Conference, was the television deal, which barred the league’s teams from appearing on national networks outside of CBS Sports.

Fenton has been in contact with officials at CBS Sports this summer and multiple sources tell the Herald that CBS appears willing to alter, in some way, the exclusivity clause in the network's contract with the NCHC.

http://www.grandfork...ing-tv-contract

More national TV hockey games on the way. At a minimum this sounds like it will allow for Fox College Sports to pick up games like North Dakota had before the CBSSN deal. I just hope FCS picks up a conference-wide package and not just a UND package where they get a ton more coverage like the Notre Dame / NBCSN / Hockey East deal.

Really hope Miami is doing a much better job getting Miami home games televised as I think they can do better than the 4 TWCSC games we got last season.

The biggest complaint about UND’s new hockey league, the National Collegiate Hockey Conference, was the television deal, which barred the league’s teams from appearing on national networks outside of CBS Sports.

Fenton has been in contact with officials at CBS Sports this summer and multiple sources tell the Herald that CBS appears willing to alter, in some way, the exclusivity clause in the network's contract with the NCHC.

http://www.grandfork...ing-tv-contract

More national TV hockey games on the way. At a minimum this sounds like it will allow for Fox College Sports to pick up games like North Dakota had before the CBSSN deal. I just hope FCS picks up a conference-wide package and not just a UND package where they get a ton more coverage like the Notre Dame / NBCSN / Hockey East deal.

Really hope Miami is doing a much better job getting Miami home games televised as I think they can do better than the 4 TWCSC games we got last season.

I don't know about the other schools getting on FCS, but I do know that UND has a bunch of other sports on FCS.

EDIT: I heard that SCSU and UMD have a few of next years games on Fox Sports North.

I don't know about the other schools getting on FCS, but I do know that UND has a bunch of other sports on FCS. I heard that SCSU and UMD have a few of next years games on Fox Sports North.

But Fox Sports North is a regional sports network, why would any national exclusivity effect it? Was it not allowed last year? What was all the other schools Tier 2 TV last season? I expected to see WMU on Fox Sports Detroit but didn't and was surprised. Was this because CBS was blocking it?

But Fox Sports North is a regional sports network, why would any national exclusivity effect it? Was it not allowed last year? What was all the other schools Tier 2 TV last season? I expected to see WMU on Fox Sports Detroit but didn't and was surprised. Was this because CBS was blocking it?

I wasn't suggesting that it did. UND had a game against UMD on Fox Sports North. Basically, the league is working hard to get more TV exposure on regional networks. You might see a more Denver games on Root Sports as well.

Looks like the WCHA is looking into expansion.

:“It’s my job to make sure we are aligned properly, we have a stable conference and we’re doing all the right things to garner success for the WCHA,” Robertson said.  Robertson said the league has already started looking into expansion, specifically emphasizing the “western” in Western Collegiate Hockey Association.

“I do think there’s some upside and some potential for more expansion for Division I college hockey all over the United States and
maybe into Canada as well
,” Robertson said.

http://www.newsminer.com/sports/uaf_nano...f6878.html

His use of "maybe into Canada" would seem to imply that Simon Fraser, a surburban Vancounver BC school, could start DI hockey. They are a DII school right now and they would be eligible after their just completed DII transition to elevate their club status hockey team. The eastern schools in the WCHA desperately want Pacific Time Zone schools to be added, so only the western schools need to go to Alaska twice a year. There are allowed extra games per the NCAA from making one trip, but two trips is no benefit but a killer on costs.

This in the divisional structure that the WCHA probably wants:

Pacific
UA Anchorage
UA Fairbanks
Simon Fraser
Arizona St

Michigan Division
Michigan Tech
N Mich
Lake Sup St
Ferris St

Midwest Division
Bemidji St
Minn St- Mankato
Bowling Green
UA Huntsville

Within a division, play a H/A series. Outside the division, alternate H/A series every year. The schools would be guaranteed one series in Alaska every year and one in Alabama every other year, except divisional opponents.

Think Simon Fraser and Arizona State will be bound for the NCHC once their programs get established (probably after two years). 

Terry Pegula will probably buy the Buffalo Bills, in addition to owning the Sabres.  For him, helping the Buffalo Bulls start a DI hockey team would ingratiate him big time in Buffalo (most thought the new owner of the Bills would move them to Toronto, but Pegula has promised to keep them in Buffalo).  If the Buffalo Bulls have hockey, that would be four MAC schools.  The MAC schools are likely to break away and start their own conference, with other schools filling in a few slots (like Robert Morris, UAH, maybe even Syracuse or Pitt).  Bowling Green wants to leave the WCHA and there isn't really a place for Buffalo except in a new league.

Terry Pegula will probably buy the Buffalo Bills, in addition to owning the Sabres.  For him, helping the Buffalo Bulls start a DI hockey team would ingratiate him big time in Buffalo (most thought the new owner of the Bills would move them to Toronto, but Pegula has promised to keep them in Buffalo).  If the Buffalo Bulls have hockey, that would be four MAC schools.  The MAC schools are likely to break away and start their own conference, with other schools filling in a few slots (like Robert Morris, UAH, maybe even Syracuse or Pitt).  Bowling Green wants to leave the WCHA and their isn't really a place for Buffalo except in a new league.

And in Atlantic Hockey, which only has 11 teams after losing UConn. 

You really think a conference made up of MAC schools is going to invite UAH?    I suppose eventually one of your million posts about potential conference alignment will be right and we'll never hear the end of just how right you were, despite those other 999,999 posts that were wrong.

And in Atlantic Hockey, which only has 11 teams after losing UConn. 

You really think a conference made up of MAC schools is going to invite UAH?    I suppose eventually one of your million posts about potential conference alignment will be right and we'll never hear the end of just how right you were, despite those other 999,999 posts that were wrong.

Buffalo wouldn't go to a conference that doesn't allow all scholarships.

So I am a bad person for saying Penn State would result in a Big Ten hockey conference and WCHA and CCHA breakup or that UND was heading for the Big Sky when nobody else would believe me?

Buffalo wouldn't go to a conference that doesn't allow all scholarships.

So I am a bad person for saying Penn State would result in a Big Ten hockey conference or that UND was heading for the Big Sky when nobody else would believe me?

It was known for a long time that as soon as the Big Ten gained a sixth team, they would have to form a conference.  Not quite Nostradamus there.

• Upvote 2

His use of "maybe into Canada" would seem to imply that Simon Fraser, a surburban Vancounver BC school, could start DI hockey. They are a DII school right now and they would be eligible after their just completed DII transition to elevate their club status hockey team. The eastern schools in the WCHA desperately want Pacific Time Zone schools to be added, so only the western schools need to go to Alaska twice a year. There are allowed extra games per the NCAA from making one trip, but two trips is no benefit but a killer on costs.

Pacific

UA Anchorage

UA Fairbanks

Simon Fraser

Arizona St

Michigan Division

Michigan Tech

N Mich

Lake Sup St

Ferris St

Midwest Division

Bemidji St

Minn St- Mankato

Bowling Green

UA Huntsville

Within a division, play a H/A series. Outside the division, alternate H/A series every year. The schools would be guaranteed one series in Alaska every year and one in Alabama every other year, except divisional opponents.

Think Simon Fraser and Arizona State will be bound for the NCHC once their programs get established (probably after two years). 

I would bet, "if" ASU adds hockey, they will land in the NCHC. I am taking side bets that they won't end up in the WCHA.

Terry Pegula will probably buy the Buffalo Bills, in addition to owning the Sabres.  For him, helping the Buffalo Bulls start a DI hockey team would ingratiate him big time in Buffalo (most thought the new owner of the Bills would move them to Toronto, but Pegula has promised to keep them in Buffalo).  If the Buffalo Bulls have hockey, that would be four MAC schools.  The MAC schools are likely to break away and start their own conference, with other schools filling in a few slots (like Robert Morris, UAH, maybe even Syracuse or Pitt).  Bowling Green wants to leave the WCHA and there isn't really a place for Buffalo except in a new league.

LOL, Miami and WMU aren't leaving the NCHC if Buffalo starts hockey.  There would be no incentive too.  We'd both probably schedule them out of conference though.

Pacific

UA Anchorage

UA Fairbanks

Simon Fraser

Arizona St

Michigan Division

Michigan Tech

N Mich

Lake Sup St

Ferris St

Midwest Division

Bemidji St

Minn St- Mankato

Bowling Green

UA Huntsville

For any Canadian Colleges to be in NCAA D1 the NCAA will have to get rid of their rule about players who played in the CHL.