SiouxSports.com Forum

DI football vs DI basketball

darell1976

So in a metro area of 3.4 million people, I guess a better question would be why isn't TCF about twice as big?

Why doesn't Northwestern play in a 100,000 stadium with 9.5 million people in Chicago's metro? Could it be $$$$$? Its supply and demand. Gophers wasn't exactly filling up the Metrodome before they moved.

Why doesn't Northwestern play in a 100,000 stadium with 9.5 million people in Chicago's metro? Could it be $$$$$? Its supply and demand. Gophers wasn't exactly filling up the Metrodome before they moved.

Now you're making my arguments for me...

It not like the Gophers have been all that good at football in the B1G since the early 60's.

Edit: Northwestern would be the EMU of Chicago when it comes to sports in Chicago.

Yeah it was why does the NCAA have a 15k rule in football but no attendance rule in basketball.

Because there's no need for sub-divisions for NCAA D1 basketball.

Because there's no need for sub-divisions for NCAA D1 basketball.

Right on! The day that the dreams of Butler, Florida Gulf Coast, VCU, George Mason, Wichita State and every other cinderella are replaced by the 8th, 9th, and 10th place finishers of the Big 10, Pac 12, and ACC is the day the NCAA tournament becomes 99% less exciting to watch.

• Like 1

Right on! The day that the dreams of Butler, Florida Gulf Coast, VCU, George Mason, Wichita State and every other cinderella are replaced by the 8th, 9th, and 10th place finishers of the Big 10, Pac 12, and ACC is the day the NCAA tournament becomes 99% less exciting to watch.

Just like the so-called FBS playoff will be. No one outside the P5 will play in it.

Boise State, how many times should they have been given a shot at a NC.

I'd say they had two legitimate chances along with TCU before they went to the Big 12.

So one team outside of the Power 5 and you could make the argument the Nevada is just as good as Boise State.

I'd say they had two legitimate chances along with TCU before they went to the Big 12.

So one team outside of the Power 5 and you could make the argument the Nevada is just as good as Boise State.

You just said name a team. That's why there are Cinderella teams.

So you don't think the FBS playoffs is the same as the Dance without the Cinderella teams?

I have no clue what you're asking?

The split in talent between the P5 and G5 in football is much larger than in basketball especially due to the size of rosters and number of players on the field/court at one time. Basketball outcomes are also much more random (or prone to "luck") than football outcomes and a single player can have a large effect on altering the results.

And you still haven't explained how this is remotely true:

If the NCAA wants to make more money just replace schools that don't comply, its simple. Plenty of FCS schools that could average more than EMU could take their place geographically like Youngstown St.

The split in talent between the P5 and G5 in football is much larger than in basketball especially due to the size of rosters and number of players on the field/court at one time. Basketball outcomes are also much more random (or prone to "luck") than football outcomes and a single player can have a large effect on altering the results.

Mafia man said the day they replace Cinderella teams in the dance with other P5 teams is the day it becomes 99% less exciting, so I replied with just like the upcoming FBS playoffs. 4 teams all to be P5 teams...99% less exciting. So are you caught up yet?

There are some Mid-Major basketball schools that can compete with the basketball powerhouses' of D1

I figured more attendance would equal more air time, more sponsors but 82 said contracts aren't year to year but multi. That ends my thought.

Mafia man said the day they replace Cinderella teams in the dance with other P5 teams is the day it becomes 99% less exciting, so I replied with just like the upcoming FBS playoffs. 4 teams all to be P5 teams...99% less exciting. So are you caught up yet?

If the basketball tournament only included 4 teams then Division I basketball would have a lot fewer teams. With 64+ teams in the tournament they can include a wider variety of teams. You continue to compare apples and oranges.
  • Upvote 1

Florida Gulf Coast meeting Duke in a #16-#1 opening round basketball game will get PLENTY of TV viewers...and more as the game goes on if the score is close. What set of football playoff games would you prefer to see? Michigan vs Alabama and Texas vs Ohio State or Florida State vs an undefeated Southern Methodist University and Georgia vs MAC champ Northern Illinois?

Florida Gulf Coast meeting Duke in a #16-#1 opening round basketball game will get PLENTY of TV viewers...and more as the game goes on if the score is close. What set of football playoff games would you prefer to see? Michigan vs Alabama and Texas vs Ohio State or Florida State vs an undefeated Southern Methodist University and Georgia vs MAC champ Northern Illinois?

So if Boise St was playing for a NC against Oklahoma like they did in the fiesta bowl no one would watch? People love upsets that's why the dance is more popular than another Alabama vs P5 team X.