SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 Recruiting

Hambone

Seales has a well rounded game.  Lefty is a positive, , nice handle and court vision.  He is ok going to his right, uses the back board quite well off his dribble drive penetration.  Has that tough to find mid range game.  3 point shooting is getting better but not quite where it needs to be.  He should see serious minutes at the 3 next season maybe start. Would like to UND shore up the foward slots so Seales could run with Geno  after Hooker graduates.

• 3 weeks later...

Hunter Pinke Video

This is Fred Lukens' grandson..........

Been discussed a little if you look back at the thread. I think he has visited NDSU, not sure about UND. The website below has him rated as the 2nd best bball prospect in the state behind Braeden Hanson of Red River. Be interested to hear how he does against AAU if anyone has seen him play there? 

http://www.prephoopsdakotas.com/

I think Pinke plays football too. Wouldn't be surprised with those UND connections and measurables if Bubba was also maybe looking at Pinke. Would make a great TE just from what I see on the basketball tape and I think Bubba is also from that area, so I'm guessing he has a good pulse on kids from that part of the state. Whether FB or BB the staffs should to get him to summer camps to evaluate. Class B competition isnt very good, but he is a nice looking athlete, that is for sure. 

He does play football and Bubba was recently the featured speaker at an event that their community held about faith and athletics. You are correct that that the Pinkes are from the same area as Bubba. Hunter's mother is also a UND grad and grew up in in GF.......

He does play football and Bubba was recently the featured speaker at an event that their community held about faith and athletics. You are correct that that the Pinkes are from the same area as Bubba. Hunter's mother is also a UND grad and grew up in in GF.......

I think they lived near Aneta and the kids rode in to GF for school at some point. Robbie may have even gone to school in Northwood for a bit. Pretty fuzzy memory.

New offer:

SG Tyler Peterson, 6'4", 190, Circle Pines (Centennial), MN  Averaged 15 ppg as a sophomore. His consistency last year was somewhat remarkable - there were only two games all season where he wasn't in double figures (scored 7 twice).

Has offer from USD and has visits to SDSU & NDSU scheduled.

Tyler averaged 23 ppg this season will be the second highest returning scorer in 4A.  MN. high school hoops next season.  Is coached by UND . and De La salle  alum.Travis Bledsoe....D1 Circuit @D1Circuit

Centennial (MN) G Tyler Peterson (@typeterson22) will run with Howard Pulley. #EYBL @PulleyHoops #WelcomeToTheLeague......http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2282951/highlights/220548391/v2

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone hear or seen if UND is on 6'7 Cole Dahl from Northern Freeze. I think that is Karlstad,MN area which is right in UNDs backyard. Heard most of the NSIC as well as NDSU and USD is on him but didn't hear UND. Below is a highlight of him winning a AAU dunk contest.

Seems like a pretty good athlete and at 6'7 and right in UNDs backyard I would hope we are at least talking to the young man and getting him to camp to evaluate. We shouldn't be letting Craig Smith recruit kids 70 miles from our campus better than we do. Not saying that is happening, but I have seen USD showing up on a lot of interest list with local kids.  

• 2 weeks later...

Amar Miller and Jamil Jackson were offered today. I don't know if Miller was offered earlier but hadn't heard of Jackson until today.

Wonder if the Baker signing and all of the Twin Cities kids on the roster help with these two and Peterson. Those 3 would be my top guys in this class of the ones we offered so far. Wouldn't mind taking a hard look at guys like Allen Anderson (Aaron's bro), or the local 6'7 guys Cole Dahl and Braeden Hanson as well. Those 3 already have NSIC offers and would be nice projects to redshirt and develop for a year. 

I think we'll only have 2-3 scholarships so it will be interesting to see how that shakes out. If we only have 2-3 Miller, Jackson, and Peterson would be at the top of my list. That's a lot of guards, but UND plays 3 guards and guys like Josh Collins and Jamil Jackson can probably play a little stretch 4 in UNDs offense and the Big Sky. 

Nice job by the staff in making UND a big destination for top Twin Cities talent. Wonder if UNDs TV deal with FSN North is helping with these kids as well?

Baker Wheeler 6'2 SG Osseo Fury Davis One of the two biggest Minnesota stock raisers this summer Wheeler has blown up because he’s scoring as a catch and hit guy, taking people off of two bounce either way to hit the pull-up, or attacking for scores on the break. Versatile scorer

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone hear or seen if UND is on 6'7 Cole Dahl from Northern Freeze. I think that is Karlstad,MN area which is right in UNDs backyard. Heard most of the NSIC as well as NDSU and USD is on him but didn't hear UND. Below is a highlight of him winning a AAU dunk contest.

Seems like a pretty good athlete and at 6'7 and right in UNDs backyard I would hope we are at least talking to the young man and getting him to camp to evaluate. We shouldn't be letting Craig Smith recruit kids 70 miles from our campus better than we do. Not saying that is happening, but I have seen USD showing up on a lot of interest list with local kids.  

FYI, I believe Dahl is up to 7-8 NSIC offers and from most of the top programs like Augie, MSUM, etc. Also, a lot of D1s are showing interest including UND. Been too many local kids UND let go NSIC the last 3-4 years that could've helped UNDs team. IMO, Dahl will have D1 offers by the time fall comes around and we should try to be the first D1 offer and get this kid on board at UND. If we're the 4-5 D1 to offer that probably won't cut it. He lives an hour from from campus and we should be the first ones on him. 

First time poster who is a big basketball fan. Definitely more of a UND fan, but I enjoy good basketball so I also watch many NDSU games as well. I think North Dakota has some really good underclassmen coming up that both UND/NDSU should be watching. Most of these kids have already been on campuses at one or both schools for unofficial visits. Jones needs to get these kids in for summer camps and evaluate them. Don’t get me wrong the Twin Cities and Iowa need to be priorities #1 and #2 for this staff, but I think they should take a closer look at some ND kids. 

In the last 5 years UND has missed on Luke Martinez (Wyoming), Joe Hanstad (Boise State), Dexter Werner (NDSU), AJ Jacobson (NDSU), Mack Arvidson (Northern State), Justin McCloud (Illinois State), and Tanner Kretchman (MSUM). I’ll throw Aaron Lien from Moorhead who plays at MSUM on the list as well. Martinez and McCloud could’ve been ours out of high school and Arvidson, Kretchman, and Lien will all have great careers in the NSIC. I believe Arvidson and Kretchman were offered “partials,” although I’m not 100% sure. Those 5 would’ve came to UND, redshirted and contributed by the time they graduated. Martinez in particular would’ve been All Big Sky imho. I don’t think we had a chance at Werner or Jacobson as they were all NDSU. I really like the job Jones is doing, but as a UND fan I think these kids could’ve helped, and recruiting these kids is good PR if nothing else.

Houston Lavachek from Glenburn is at Williston State right now and could go D1 too. He reminds me of a less athletic Pat Mitchell. Not completely sold on him, but he still has a redshirt year where UND could bring him in and get him in the weight room for a year before contributing.

I should also mention James Richman being a good pickup for UND. Very very under the radar even by ND standards. He played on a bad HS team but is very athletic.I think he tore his ACL last spring or summer so he is not even close to full strength yet. He is a walk on I could see getting minutes in 3-4 years. 

Here are some guys to keep an eye on. 

Class of 2016 (HS JRs)

Hunter Pinke - 6-5 F from South Border (I think he is Fred Lukens grandkid so you would think we would have an in) I think he has visited NDSU, not sure on UND.

Braden Hanson - 6-7 F from Red River - I think he has been on unofficial to both NDSU and UND. Probably a better football recruit as he was one of the better football players in the EDC this year. 

These two are both young, but right now I would say they are scholarship NSIC guys and potential D1 walk-ons who could develop more by next summer. 

Class of 2017 (HS Soph)

Aanan Moody - 6-2 G from Dickinson - Unofficial to both schools, and brother plays FB at NDSU and sister plays VB. NDSU probably has an in there I would think

Siman Sem - 6-2 G from Fargo North - Been to NDSU I know, not sure if UND is involved or not. 

Jacob Mertens - 6-2 G from Devils Lake - Brother or cousin to Travis. Not sure how involved UND is but he is a young player to watch.

Wyatt Carr - 6-3 G/F from Hazen - Don’t think either school is on him, but he could be one to watch. Probably one of the top football recruits in that class though. Baylee Carr’s brother. 

Moody and Sem are decent prospects and the other two are probably just ones to watch at this point. 

Class of 2018 

DeSean Eikens - 6-4 F from Williston - I think both UND and NDSU are in contact. He is the best D1 prospect of them all. I think he will go bigger than both by the time he graduates, but they need to be on him now. 

There might be a few i’m missing so someone can let me know if I’m missing someone, but UND needs to get these kids to camps the next few summers and evaluate them, so we don’t miss out on guys like Luke Martinez and Justin McCloud when we could’ve easily had them out of high school. I can tell you Dave Richman will be doing this and is already doing a good job of building those ND relationships. Like I said if nothing else it is good PR and I think coach Richman gets that. Again, Twin Cities and Iowa should be the big priorities, but we can't let ND scholarship kids slip away. I follow ND football close to and will post on some of those potential recruits when I get some time in the future. 

Sorry for the long post, but I thought it was good info for UND and even NDSU hoop fans

Early in the AAU season, but from the reports i've seen Hanson, Moody, Carr, Sem, and Eikens are having nice AAU seasons. Simon Sem has already been offered by NDSU too. Anyone else who watches AAU closely can chime in, but i've gathered that from a few reports i've seen online. 

Another name to keep an eye on might be 6'5 Austin Slaughter (2017) from Red River. I noticed he is playing for Howard Pulley AAU in the Twin Cities which is one of the top AAU programs in MN. He plays on the same team as Tre Jones (Tyus' brother). Not sure how he's doing, but not many ND kids get the chance to play for Pulley.

UND has 2 scholarship seniors on next years team ,will likely need to see how large class of newcomers stack up before closing the deal on any prospects. Richman has a nice frame and was pretty good at track and field, will be interesting to see how he looks at the 4 compared to Avants.

FYI, I believe Dahl is up to 7-8 NSIC offers and from most of the top programs like Augie, MSUM, etc. Also, a lot of D1s are showing interest including UND. Been too many local kids UND let go NSIC the last 3-4 years that could've helped UNDs team. IMO, Dahl will have D1 offers by the time fall comes around and we should try to be the first D1 offer and get this kid on board at UND. If we're the 4-5 D1 to offer that probably won't cut it. He lives an hour from from campus and we should be the first ones on him.

UND MBB and Jones can't have the mindset that local players cannot play DI basketball. At times in the past, it seems they have had that mindset in recruiting by overlooking local prospects and going many states elsewhere. Look at what NDSU and SDSU have accomplished with local recruits; UND needs more players from the area on its roster. Even if those players are just role players, they bring that work ethic and home area pride necessary for a gritty, hard nosed basketball team.

• Upvote 1

Siman Sem - 6-2 G from Fargo North - Been to NDSU I know, not sure if UND is involved or not. 

This should actually be in the 2017-2018 Recruiting thread (which doesn't exist yet) but Sem has committed to NDSU per Prep Hoops ND.  Never did hear what UND's interest level was.  Earliest commit for any area school I can think of off the top of my head, for any sport let alone for basketball.

This should actually be in the 2017-2018 Recruiting thread (which doesn't exist yet) but Sem has committed to NDSU per Prep Hoops ND.  Never did hear what UND's interest level was.  Earliest commit for any area school I can think of off the top of my head, for any sport let alone for basketball.

First of a couple ND D1 kids in the next few years IMO. Not sure of UNDs interest, but hats off to Richman he's recruiting ND kids and having success with them.