SiouxSports.com Forum

Adidas deal in the works?

geaux_sioux

I have been doing a little asking around about this apparel contract with Adidas; logistics, teams involved (department wide?), etc.  So I found out something that is arguably the most unbelievable/ridiculous thing I have ever heard: one UND program is against the apparel contract with Adidas and wants nothing to do with it because apparently they prefer Nike.   Which program do you think it is?  Yep, the Men's Basketball program.  My sources are pretty good on this one and I am amazed that a program of their level would think they can reject a sponsorship deal that is for the entire athletic department.  If hockey had a hangup with something, alright lets talk.  But....

To put it in perspective, Adidas sponsors the following basketball programs:  Michigan, Miami, Louisville, Wisconsin, Indiana, Kansas, UCLA, Cincinnati, & Nebraska.  Plus, they sponsor a boatload of FCS level teams like EWU, Sac State, NAU, etc.  

Supposedly, the Adidas deal is going through for the majority of the UND teams, most importantly football.  I don't know what will happen with BB.

OK, I am a little skeptical about this rumor.  Can 1 program in an athletic department refuse an apparel contract?  And would the basketball team really know if Nike makes more confortable shorts than Adidas?  I am calling BS on this.  Not sure who your sources are, but I don't think that Jones can tell the athletic department what contracts they will or won;t honor.

OK, I am a little skeptical about this rumor.  Can 1 program in an athletic department refuse an apparel contract?  And would the basketball team really know if Nike makes more confortable shorts than Adidas?  I am calling BS on this.  Not sure who your sources are, but I don't think that Jones can tell the athletic department what contracts they will or won;t honor.

That's how I feel and if they do than there is definitely something wrong with the AD.

I am sure he can express his disapproval and state he does not want to be a part of it.  What happens next is beyond my pay grade.  But it's apparently true and I also heard that WBB and VB are good with Adidas.  

I have been doing a little asking around about this apparel contract with Adidas; logistics, teams involved (department wide?), etc.  So I found out something that is arguably the most unbelievable/ridiculous thing I have ever heard: one UND program is against the apparel contract with Adidas and wants nothing to do with it because apparently they prefer Nike.   Which program do you think it is?  Yep, the Men's Basketball program.  My sources are pretty good on this one and I am amazed that a program of their level would think they can reject a sponsorship deal that is for the entire athletic department.  If hockey had a hangup with something, alright lets talk.  But....

To put it in perspective, Adidas sponsors the following basketball programs:  Michigan, Miami, Louisville, Wisconsin, Indiana, Kansas, UCLA, Cincinnati, & Nebraska.  Plus, they sponsor a boatload of FCS level teams like EWU, Sac State, NAU, etc.  

Supposedly, the Adidas deal is going through for the majority of the UND teams, most importantly football.  I don't know what will happen with BB.

I am a big Nike guy and much prefer their products to Adidas or Under Armour but I think this deal probably needs to get done. I do hope that hockey is still able to wear Reebok jerseys and doesn't have to switch to Addidas if the deal does go through.

I am a big Nike guy and much prefer their products to Addidas or Under Armour but I think this deal probably needs to get done. I do hope that hockey is still able to wear Reebok jerseys and doesn't have to switch to Addidas if the deal does go through.

Aren't Reebok and Adidas the same company?

• Upvote 1

I am sure he can express his disapproval and state he does not want to be a part of it. What happens next is beyond my pay grade. But it's apparently true and I also heard that WBB and VB are good with Adidas.

If it means more money into the program (no paying for jerseys, etc) then why turn it down. If it was all Jones can his ass, if Faison had the final say then maybe he should explain it.

If it means more money into the program (no paying for jerseys, etc) then why turn it down. If it was all Jones can his ass, if Faison had the final say then maybe he should explain it.

Maybe they can keep using Nike.  Would be extremely strange but who knows?

For what it's worth- most programs at our level don't get cash with an apparel deal.  Usually from what I understand most deals are set up with you get X amount in this apparel and you agree to buy X amount additionally from the company at X rate.  This is not something where an Adidas comes in and writes a check to UND Athletics for even $100 or even a $1 for that matter.  That only happens for to the big institutions ie.  Kansas, Michigan as you listed etc.  An old college roommate who now has worked at 3 different schools of varying size in Athletic Business told me that usually, the Athletic Department had spent nearly as much as they did when they had a contract then they did without.   They've evaluated many times if it's worth it  or is it worth for each program to go find what they want.  Just some info.   I don't know if there is any money involved in this potential deal, but it would shock me if it did. 

For what it's worth- most programs at our level don't get cash with an apparel deal.  Usually from what I understand most deals are set up with you get X amount in this apparel and you agree to buy X amount additionally from the company at X rate.  This is not something where an Adidas comes in and writes a check to UND Athletics for even $100 or even a $1 for that matter.  That only happens for to the big institutions ie.  Kansas, Michigan as you listed etc.  An old college roommate who now has worked at 3 different schools of varying size in Athletic Business told me that usually, the Athletic Department had spent nearly as much as they did when they had a contract then they did without.   They've evaluated many times if it's worth it  or is it worth for each program to go find what they want.  Just some info.   I don't know if there is any money involved in this potential deal, but it would shock me if it did. 

I agree with that.  At this level UND is not receiving money, they are just streamlining the gear and getting a better deal / perks with the package.   The revenue is not the point, however. 

If this deal does not go department-wide, then the issue lies with not only Brian Jones but also AD Brian Faison. Faison needs to do his job, overrule Jones, and make sure the department gets a much needed, overdue apparel deal completed. 

Men's basketball would be just fine with Adidas, especially since their jerseys, shoes, athletic wear, etc. would all be discounted and more accessible each and every season. 

All big athletic departments endorse and ultimately agree on athletic apparel contracts because they straightforwardly benefit the department. By agreeing to wear only one manufacturer's gear, you then get all gear, from head to toe, supplied. That is huge in terms of program budget and student-athlete appeal. 

Brian Jones needs to step back or Brian Faison needs to step up; one or the other. Get this Adidas deal done for every UND athletic team!!!

That is not true.

You realize what the alternative is, right? Not having an apparel deal leads to a lot of "mismatched" pieces and personal expenditures for the student-athletes. Apparel deals allow for consistency, and in that, its essentially head to toe. 

Here's an article detailing a similar deal that was struck between Adidas and the University of South Dakota:

http://www.goyotes.com/genrel/020212aab.html

The partnership with adidas will allow the Athletic Department to achieve brand consistency and provide other growth opportunities, while being affiliated with one of the most recognizable shoe and apparel companies in the world.

The added result of the partnership will be the ability to outfit all Coyote student-athletes in consistent uniform and color combinations, enhance the USD brand and an opportunity to "Spread the Red."

You realize what the alternative is, right? Not having an apparel deal leads to a lot of "mismatched" pieces and personal expenditures for the student-athletes. Apparel deals allow for consistency, and in that, its essentially head to toe.

Here's an article detailing a similar deal that was struck between Adidas and the University of South Dakota:

http://www.goyotes.com/genrel/020212aab.html

Of course you get consistency but you implied that the gear is supplied free. It costs money regardless of any deal.

If that is true I would expect Faison would have a meeting with the coach and inform him of the contract and point out it is the AD's job to secure these contracts and the coach's job to coach. Hopefully all coaches had the opportunity for input and once the contract is settled on, the coach's are told the details. No longer debatable. Makes no difference which coach of which team.

You are correct.