SiouxSports.com Forum

Adidas deal in the works?

geaux_sioux

45 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

That will probably be quite the task getting all teams to buy in and be happy, but I hope they figure something out as it would be nice to build some consistency and more options for gear for fans. 

This pending deal, whenever its finalized, will be good for the athletic department. In fact, it should've been done years ago. Look around the DI collegiate athletics landscape and you'll quickly realize a department-wide athletic deal is hands-down the best option moving forward. I commend President Kennedy and AD Brian Faison on getting this going - nice work! As referenced in Miller's article, the way UND currently operates with athletic apparel (and that includes what the fans can purchase and wear!) is outdated and DII in format. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

But, but Jonesy is a Nike guy.   :silly:

Department over individual programs. UND MIH and their Reebok agreement may be in jeorpary, although doubtful. Adidas is most likely going to be the highest bidder, but who knows what exactly will happen with the request for proprosol.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Department over individual programs. UND MIH and their Reebok agreement may be in jeorpary, although doubtful. Adidas is most likely going to be the highest bidder, but who knows what exactly will happen with the request for proprosol.

Adidas basketball uniforms, at least a few years ago were terrible. Not sure if they've went away from this style. 

adidas.jpg

14 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Lol ralston and Hennessy fighting on radio this morning about which brand they should be. Ralston says Nike has better performance

hennessy says adidas looks better

hocmey will drive this one 

It's a shame his show can't be streamed

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Adidas is hot right now, like, Hansel hot. Under Armour is slipping. Nike is still Nike. 

Adidas is hot right now but that is based mostly on their retro items and shoe sales and they are doing well in the athleisure category. Under Armour has lost some ground to them over the last year for sure and they dropped the ball on athleisure apparel and their shoes are struggling.

I sell Nike Golf, Under Armour, and Adidas to corporate and I can tell you I get almost zero requests from customers for Adidas branded product although this area of the country usually trends a few months behind the coasts and retail is obviously a different animal.

Adidas, Nike, Under Armour, whatever.....just take the best deal that is offered for the entire department.  Seems like Adidas and Under Armour tend to give the best team deals and perks over Nike in the past.  

And everyone better get on board, including mens basketball.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

Adidas is hot right now but that is based mostly on their retro items and shoe sales and they are doing well in the athleisure category. Under Armour has lost some ground to them over the last year for sure and they dropped the ball on athleisure apparel and their shoes are struggling.

I sell Nike Golf, Under Armour, and Adidas to corporate and I can tell you I get almost zero requests from customers for Adidas branded product although this area of the country usually trends a few months behind the coasts and retail is obviously a different animal.

Adidas basketball shoes are surging thanks to the Hardin shoe from this year. They have a lot of top young guys wearing the stripes. I doubt they're ever overcome the swoosh though.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Adidas basketball shoes are surging thanks to the Hardin shoe from this year. They have a lot of top young guys wearing the stripes. I doubt they're ever overcome the swoosh though.

I'm curious how much of that is due to the history of Nike vs the quality of the actual shoe.  I'll never run in a Nike shoe but adidas puts out some excellent running shoes.  How do they compare for basketball and football?

22 minutes ago, southpaw said:

I'm curious how much of that is due to the history of Nike vs the quality of the actual shoe.  I'll never run in a Nike shoe but adidas puts out some excellent running shoes.  How do they compare for basketball and football?

Cleated sports shoe innovation starts with soccer shoes and trickles down to football. Nike and adidas have been trading blows for the last few years on who can push it further. I'd give adidas the edge in that department. Both make great cleats although I and teammates of mine have had issues in the past with Nike cleats tearing completely off of the bottom of a shoe. Happened to me with 5 different pairs. Adidas makes the lightest football shoe FWIW. Seems like most of the pros wear Nikes. With basketball adidas is finally coming out of a slump of not making cool new shoes. Nike has been eating their lunch since maybe the TMac 1 or 2s. 

4 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Adidas top selling shoes

adidas Stan Smith Best Selling

adidas-originals-superstar-deluxe-og-1

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Lol ralston and Hennessy fighting on radio this morning about which brand they should be. Ralston says Nike has better performance

hennessy says adidas looks better

hocmey will drive this one 

From an athletics quality standpoint, Nike and Under Armour are far and away the top two brands. That includes consideration for the clothing/gear that the fans can purchase, so it would be wise for the fans to hope for one of those two brands, also. This is evidenced by the fact that Adidas has lost quite a few university deals lately as universities have signed new deals with Nike and Under Armour instead (e.g., Wisconsin, Michigan, Norte Dame, UCLA). 

With all this said, Adidas is likely to be the highest bidder and, with that, they'll get the nod. I'm ultimately fine with any of the three as UND athletics and their supporters just deserve a consistent identity. 

Final comment: Hennessy needs to get his eyes checked.