SiouxSports.com Forum

Adidas deal in the works?

geaux_sioux

If I was ruler of the world, I'd probably want to hit a button and reset things back to before every team was doing alternate uniforms and keep it that way.  When I turn on my TV on Saturday's in the fall now days I can't even tell who is playing half the time until I see the names of the teams.  Grey may be the next color that is over done, but the whole alternate uniform thing in general is now over done.  In my ruler of the world scenario I'd still let Oregon have the alternate uniforms as they would come up with some good ones, plus when you saw a crazy uniform you kind of new it was them as they were about the only ones doing it initially.  I get why teams do it though and I get why we are doing it as well, but now that everybody is doing it I don't think it really adds a whole lot to the overall experience.  Since we are doing it though, I just want whatever we do to look pretty good.  Grey may be pretty common, but I never expected us to go with a super flashy outlandish type of alternate uniform.  

IMO there's a difference between an 'alternate' and a 'throwback'. 

Alternate unis would be like the black nikes we did a couple years back.

While I agree the whole uniform thing is out of control, I'm also a huge proponent of honoring the past generations of coaches and players and their uniform styles.

UND had gray uniforms in the 70's, so this would be a 'throwback' gray uniform in my opinion.  

If you love tradition, that pretty much defines it.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I said "average" fan, but thanks.  I watch college football religiously and the number of teams in gun-metal grey every weekend has gotten stale fast.  I'm glad some schools - Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, USC, Michigan, to name a few - haven't sold their collective souls and school identities because some recruit thinks the new non-school jersey colors and designs are cool.

Gotcha. Perhaps denote you're an expert asking the average fan next time? 

Classic colors are the best, which is why a white helmet or black helmet/uniform combination for UND should be considered over grey (Kelly green will always be the best, obviously). Grey is nice as solely a helmet, but it doesn't match the school colors and it isn't a very nice uniform color (jerseys and pants) relative to Kelly green or even black. 

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Classic colors are the best, which is why a white helmet or black helmet/uniform combination for UND should be considered over grey (Kelly green will always be the best, obviously). Grey is nice as solely a helmet, but it doesn't match the school colors and it isn't a very nice uniform color (jerseys and pants) relative to Kelly green or even black. 

Grey may be not an official school color, but it is used in the logo sometimes!! :)

ND.jpg

1 hour ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

IMO there's a difference between an 'alternate' and a 'throwback'. 

Alternate unis would be like the black nikes we did a couple years back.

While I agree the whole uniform thing is out of control, I'm also a huge proponent of honoring the past generations of coaches and players and their uniform styles.

UND had gray uniforms in the 70's, so this would be a 'throwback' gray uniform in my opinion.  

If you love tradition, that pretty much defines it.

Agree with this. Having grey helmets as a "throw back" appears to be the direction of UND's uniform trend. After that, though, does it stop or continue to a black and/or white helmet/uniform? Only time will tell. I'm honestly fine with just green and grey. 

23 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

nike-pro-combat-uniforms.jpg12qEpP.AuSt_.69.jpegusatoday.jpg

missouri-vs-south-carolina-oct-26.jpg

Well, I'm no "expert," but dare I say that these uniforms might have you wondering what teams are playing if you flip the channel on your HD TV and see them? 

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

nike-pro-combat-uniforms.jpg12qEpP.AuSt_.69.jpegusatoday.jpg

missouri-vs-south-carolina-oct-26.jpg

Well, I'm no "expert," but dare I say that these uniforms might have you wondering what teams are playing if you flip the channel on your HD TV and see them? 

It's a fair point..... About football....... By a hockey only fan.....

5 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

So was anyone successful in getting this started?  Could you post where to send a donation?  Thanks!!!

There is some internal debate between gray and silver with the helmet.  We had silver helmets at some point in the 60's - 70's to ball park it.  No final word yet as far as I know.......

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

There is some internal debate between gray and silver with the helmet.  We had silver helmets at some point in the 60's - 70's to ball park it.  No final word yet as far as I know.......

Any word on getting some kelly green on those gray helmets? 

If I recall correctly, the gray helmets from the 80s had a green logo and green stripe. Those things definitely need to be added to the matte gray helmets now so they match the jerseys better. 

• 3 weeks later...
On June 10, 2016 at 10:54 PM, gundy1124 said:

http://www.wday.com/radio/4062217-970-wday-demand-kolpack-izzo

Bubba joined Kolpack and Izzo on AM 970 WDAY on 6-25-16 (S3). 

At the 11:10 mark, Bubba states "In 2016 I wouldn't expect to see that" in reference to the silver/grey helmets. Apparently, no alternative helmets for this season; probably not a horrible deal as the matte green are a fine look. Eventually I think a white or matte black helmet should actually be looked at as well as a matte grey helmet. 

6 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

http://www.wday.com/radio/4062217-970-wday-demand-kolpack-izzo

Bubba joined Kolpack and Izzo on AM 970 WDAY on 6-25-16 (S3; 10:47). 

At the 11:10 mark, Bubba states "In 2016 I wouldn't expect to see that" in reference to the silver/grey helmets. Apparently, no alternative helmets for this season; probably not a horrible deal as the matte green are a fine look. Eventually I think a white or matte black helmet should actually be looked at as well as a matte grey helmet. 

No alternate helmets this year? Damn I wonder what happened. 

9 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

Maybe they want to keep some things under wraps. I've seen a team pre game warm up in one uniform, then take the field for kickoff dressed in an entirely different uniform. Got the crowd and players fired up. Unlikely at UND but possible. 

Like a wardrobe change at a Lady Gaga show?  (doing my best Charlie Brown impression . . . "good grief")

• Upvote 1

yeh . . . i've been to a Gaga concert.  And this month I will see Chris Cornell, Kiss, Dolly Parton, and Sons Of Texas.

I'm an equal opportunity music listener :)

Back on track, though, I'm kind of excited to see the implementation of the new logo.  I think (hope) a lot of people are going to be pleasantly surprised . . . but few will ever admit it.

On Friday, July 01, 2016 at 3:00 PM, geaux_sioux said:

As a former athlete, that video gives me chills just watching it. Lady Gaga concerts and taking the field on a Saturday morning for a college football game don't belong in the same conversation at all. Back to my original point...if Bubba pulled a uniform switch...I'm sure the team would be excited and a packed Alerus Center would as well. Its about creating a buzz and psycho logical advantage.