SiouxSports.com Forum

Adidas deal in the works?

geaux_sioux

4 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Personally like the green better!!

I think the green looks better in person compared to photos. When they took the field at Wyoming last year, I was really impressed. Its a matter of personal taste.  But, I think Bubba is infusing gray to show UND football can offer variety to recruits. It's not about the helmet themselves.  It's about recruiting talent that can win. Young players are about style too. When we buy fan gear, we want to look good wearing it. I'd buy a cool gray Fighting Hawk polo or t-shirt to go with my green and black ones. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Old School Guy said:

I think the green looks better in person compared to photos. When they took the field at Wyoming last year, I was really impressed. Its a matter of personal taste.  But, I think Bubba is infusing gray to show UND football can offer variety to recruits. It's not about the helmet themselves.  It's about recruiting talent that can win. Young players are about style too. When we buy fan gear, we want to look good wearing it. I'd buy a cool gray Fighting Hawk polo or t-shirt to go with my green and black ones. 

Exactly. Need some black uniform options, too. 

• Upvote 1

I think the goal is to add black maybe next year.  Its about building the program and that takes dollars. I'm not a rich guy, but I donate some money to help purchase some black helmets and uniforms.  I'm sure if done in accordance to NCAA rules,  the athletic department would be happy to take in some private funds. Anybody with me?

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

Black helmets run $250-$280 each, to outfit the team, that would cost roughly $19,000. GoFundMe could get it done. Let's do it! 

I'm in but I've tried to do some fundraising for UND football on SS.com in the past.  Unfortunately, there has been little interest.

6 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

I'm in but I've tried to do some fundraising for UND football on SS.com in the past.  Unfortunately, there has been little interest.

Wonder why people don't pitch in? Healthy debate should lead to support.  I believe if there is a concern or debate, let's address it with action. Heck, if we all agreed to pay $20 a month to the Fighting Hawk Football Club, with all money going to the football team for equipment, it could go a long way. Us supporters should put our money where our mouth is. 

1 hour ago, UND Fan said:

It's tough to do. I tried a couple years ago. Things always seem to fall through.  Maybe this time will be different?

12 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It's tough to do. I tried a couple years ago. Things always seem to fall through.  Maybe this time will be different?

I'll give it a shot. Meaning,  I'll make some calls to the athletic department to see if they'd accept the support within all legal guidelines.  If thumbs are up, we can go from there.

• Upvote 1

Personally, my donations will go through the foundation to UND football (and other programs) where it can be prioritized by them, rather than restricting its use for something lower on the coaches' list of priorities. 

Edit: Just looking to give an idea on why participation in these online fundraisers may not be as successful as one would hope. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Personally, my donations will go through the foundation to UND football (and other programs) where it can be prioritized by them, rather than restricting its use for something lower on the coaches' list of priorities. 

Edit: Just looking to give an idea on why participation in these online fundraisers may not be as successful as one would hope. 

I don't begrudge anyone, just looking to exercise an alternative avenue to support the program, if possible.  There are probably administration requirements that have to be met. I'd be interested to know more supporting through the UND foundation also.

1 hour ago, Old School Guy said:

I don't begrudge anyone, just looking to exercise an alternative avenue to support the program, if possible.  There are probably administration requirements that have to be met. I'd be interested to know more supporting through the UND foundation also.

When I tried to get this going in the past (for things Bubba would like in the HPC), I had talked to Steve Brekke.  At that point, it appeared we could make our donations via UND so they would be tax deductible.

Many ss.com members sent me nice notes but indicated that they are already donating via Champions Club, etc.  I did get a few commitments but not enough to move forward.

16 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

When I tried to get this going in the past (for things Bubba would like in the HPC), I had talked to Steve Brekke.  At that point, it appeared we could make our donations via UND so they would be tax deductible.

Many ss.com members sent me nice notes but indicated that they are already donating via Champions Club, etc.  I did get a few commitments but not enough to move forward.

UND Fan, thanks for providing background information.  It's good to know what's been done in the past. I made a call earlier so I'm waiting to hear back, probably on Monday or Tuesday. UNDBiz your feedback is also appreciated.  Just looking at all options.

• 4 weeks later...

UNDBIZ gives his money to the UND Foundation. Can someone tell me why they sat on 350 million over the past 5 months. 20 million in cuts and what did they do to help? Start with Joe Chapman and Roger Thomas stopping the football series. You  me all of us should question things. Look who's on there  way up and  who's future is in question. 

1 hour ago, moser53 said:

UNDBIZ gives his money to the UND Foundation. Can someone tell me why they sat on 350 million over the past 5 months. 20 million in cuts and what did they do to help? Start with Joe Chapman and Roger Thomas stopping the football series. You  me all of us should question things. Look who's on there  way up and  who's future is in question. 

They dont have 350 million dollars.  It's what was raised over years and was spent, saved, or pledged.  

3 hours ago, moser53 said:

Not sure why you're calling me out for giving to the foundation (I'm not bragging about it, it's not a very big donation), but a lot of the money donated annually is spent annually. Also, a lot of the money donated to the foundation is restricted for scholarships. A lot of the money is used to supplement faculty and coaches' salaries too. As for the rest, perhaps Schafer and Carlson Zink decided it was best for UND to prioritize what it really wants to be, rather than robbing the future to sustain the past. I question a lot of what the UND administration does and I was definitely not a fan of Kelley, which I believe I've made clear in prior posts. I appreciate that Schafer has made some of the hard decisions that should've been made years ago in order to set UND up for the future. Could some things have been communicated better? Sure, but let's not pretend he would've taken any less flak for it. 

On May 28, 2016 at 10:53 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

Top photo: Baylor University

Bottom photo: Arizona State University

I said "average" fan, but thanks.  I watch college football religiously and the number of teams in gun-metal grey every weekend has gotten stale fast.  I'm glad some schools - Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, USC, Michigan, to name a few - haven't sold their collective souls and school identities because some recruit thinks the new non-school jersey colors and designs are cool.

I'm fine with "alternate" uniforms as long as something key stays visible and recognizable enough to know at a mere glance who it is. 

For example, Dallas could go to a silver jersey, navy pants, but if they kept that silver helmet with the blue star, not a problem. 

• Upvote 1