SiouxSports.com Forum

NFL Draft

So you would have taken him over Clowney if you would have been the GM at Houston? So who would have been your 2nd round pick? Brock Jensen??? ;)

Jensen has 3 other QB's to beat out on Miami's roster, Tannehill, Matt Moore, and Aaron Rodgers' brother. Doesn't look to promising for him.

So you would have taken him over Clowney if you would have been the GM at Houston? So who would have been your 2nd round pick? Brock Jensen??? ;)

I would have rather traded back if I was the GM of Houston. Sam is going to be a roll player for the Rams next year.

I would have rather traded back if I was the GM of Houston. Sam is going to be a roll player for the Rams next year.

While he might get rolled by an offensive lineman or two if he's on the Rams' defensive line this season, you are somewhat correct in saying he may have a "role" somewhere in the organization. The combine results have been wrong before (cough, cough, Tony Mandarich)...

While he might get rolled by an offensive lineman or two if he's on the Rams' defensive line this season, you are somewhat correct in saying he may have a "role" somewhere in the organization. The combine results have been wrong before (cough, cough, Tony Mandarich)...

And some people say the combine is just a show.

And some people say the combine is just a show.

Hey, I'd completely agree with you on that...but then again, I'm not an NFL scout. Personally, I've seen enough of Clowney to know that he's made quite the reputation based on knocking one guy's helmet off of his head in a bowl game. I also watched the entire South Carolina/Georgia game this past season and didn't even know Clowney was on the field based on his sorry performance that day.

Hey, I'd completely agree with you on that...but then again, I'm not an NFL scout. Personally, I've seen enough of Clowney to know that he's made quite the reputation based on knocking one guy's helmet off of his head in a bowl game. I also watched the entire South Carolina/Georgia game this past season and didn't even know Clowney was on the field based on his sorry performance that day.

I'd put game day performance ahead of combine/pro day performance.

I wouldn't call Sam a bad player he just happens to be the Defensive Player of the Year in the SEC.

Grantland had a pretty good article and it addressed that exact comment and makes some interesting points for both sides of the argument:

Well, because that’s not a very substantial sample, nor one that means much in terms of predictive value — that award has been around only since 2003. There are actually plenty of examples of players who found themselves in similar situations. For a seven-year stretch from 2002 to 2008, the six players who won the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year award were all drafted in the first round. The 2009 award winner, Michigan State linebacker Greg Jones, was drafted in the sixth round, 185th overall. The Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year award went to players who would be taken within the top 37 selections five years in a row, from 2000 to 2004. The 2005 DPOY was Nick Reid, and he went undrafted. An even more appropriate comparison might be one of the co–Big 12 Defensive Players of the Year this season, Texas lineman Jackson Jeffcoat. Jeffcoat, who had 13 sacks, was one of the two Associated Press All-Americans at defensive end this year. The other was Michael Sam. Despite that strong résumé, Jeffcoat went unselected in New York.

I've seen plenty of GREAT college players who didn't amount to anything in the NFL. There's no shame in being a great college player while not doing much in the NFL. I'd take Vince Young's Texas career any day over mine...

Sam was a train wreck at the Sr. Bowl and the combine and his pro day as marginal at best...this more than anything is why he fell to the 7th round not his sexual orientation.

I don't see that anyone said that Sam was a "bad player," but there are reasons why he wasn't picked higher. The two I can think of are height and speed. Will he prove folks wrong? Quite possibly. But he won't be the first under-sized athlete to over-achieve.

NFL Hall of Famer John Randle, undrafted free agent out of Division II Texas A&I (now Texas A&M-Kingsville) comes immediately to mind.

Anyone remember Sam Mcguffie, the running back from Texas who was highly recruited and spent some time at Michigan? Yea, ESPN did a little bit on him during his freshman season at Michigan. He was constantly taunted as being the "white kid" and dealt with plenty of abuse from opponents about what in the world he was doing at running back for the Wolverines. Is the reason he isn't in the NFL today because he is white?

I would think the Rams will have to set some ground rules with the media at some point in order for there to be the focus necessary on the task at hand -- football. If they don't put their foot down, it could turn out to be a media circus.

I would think the Rams will have to set some ground rules with the media at some point in order for there to be the focus necessary on the task at hand -- football. If they don't put their foot down, it could turn out to be a media circus.

Given how widely ESPN covered Sam at the NFL draft, I can't imagine the media circus that will surround the opening of Rams' training camp. It'll make the Olympics and the Super Bowl look like a Prairie Public Television broadcast.

Given how widely ESPN covered Sam at the NFL draft, I can't imagine the media circus that will surround the opening of Rams' training camp. It'll make the Olympics and the Super Bowl look like a Prairie Public Television broadcast.

Kiss Cam Sam?? Kind of catchy.............

He had a better year then Clowney, I believe he fell to the 7th round because he's gay.

There are some who would argue that he was only drafted because he is gay and I don't really agree with that but I guess that can go both ways. I can see a number of reasons he wasn't taken until the 7th round one is he is a classic tweener in that he isn't the size of a NFL DE and isn't athletic enough to play LB. Sam also really only had 1 good year of production which was last season. He had a bad Senior Bowl game and practice week as well as a real bad performance at the combine. I don't see Sam sticking with the Rams and I'm not sure he will translate real well to the NFL. I thought DE Jackson Jeffcoat should have been taken over Sam and I think he has a better chance of sticking in the NFL. There are also a number of prospects who should have been drafted on talent alone but character concerns and off the field problems pushed them to be undrafted free agents.

Rams holding a presser with draft picks at 330 pm CT. Sam gets an extra 15-20 minutes at the end to address his situation. Just watching ESPN..."the kiss" was just replayed... again.

At some point for the Rams and Sam to make this work it has to be about Sam the FB player.

Rams holding a presser with draft picks at 330 pm CT. Sam gets an extra 15-20 minutes at the end to address his situation. Just watching ESPN..."the kiss" was just replayed... again.

At some point for the Rams and Sam to make this work it has to be about Sam the FB player.

Good luck...ESPN may as well be MSNBC2 at this point in its reporting...

Wonder what percentage of 7th round draft picks historically make 53 man rosters and/or practice squads? I think a lot of teams were hesitant to draft him not from the media reaction and spectacle we are seeing with the Rams right now, but what will happen if he isn't able to make the team and has to be cut. I know Fisher said that he they won't hesitate to cut him but guessing the general population isn't aware that late round picks routinely don't make rosters.

Wonder what percentage of 7th round draft picks historically make 53 man rosters and/or practice squads? I think a lot of teams were hesitant to draft him not from the media reaction and spectacle we are seeing with the Rams right now, but what will happen if he isn't able to make the team and has to be cut.

One word...lawsuit!

• Upvote 1

Wonder what percentage of 7th round draft picks historically make 53 man rosters and/or practice squads? I think a lot of teams were hesitant to draft him not from the media reaction and spectacle we are seeing with the Rams right now, but what will happen if he isn't able to make the team and has to be cut. I know Fisher said that he they won't hesitate to cut him but guessing the general population isn't aware that late round picks routinely don't make rosters.

Not sure on the percentage but I think he will have a tough time making it especially when you factor in DL is one of the stronger position groups for the Rams. Sam is gonna have to learn how to play special teams and play it very well if he wants to make an NFL roster. Sam has said he just wants to be judged as a football player but if/when the Rams cut him I fear that many will throw out the accusation that he wasn't only judged as a football player and that is the reason he got cut.