SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

Agreed, I probably shouldn't have even brought it up because it was such a big win for the boys however he did fumble it a few times.  I believe he ended up staying with the puck but still looked shaky doing it.  Re-watch the game, he did.  My bro and I were right there and were gasping a few times he held the puck, once he attempted to sauce it to JS and almost gave SCSU the puck on the door step. But, no one should be making a big deal out of it because he hadn't played in such a long time and scored a big one for us.  My initial response was soley due to the fact I wanted to see Thompson back out there. 

Ah yes! now that you mention that sauce to JS I do remember. That one made me damn near soil myself. Honestly a lot of that game is a blur for me because I was so nervous/excited but that play does stick out now. The one play that stuck out to me was Panzarella coming up the ice and making a really good short pass under a Dman's stick onto our guy's tape to keep a rush moving up ice going instead of the same old ring it around the boards.

I thought NS upped his play in the defensive end during the critical stretches of the third period. He won a few puck battles right in front of us and seemed to be making a conscious effort to work harder in that end of the ice. He will continue to grow defensively next year but I thought it was great to see him take a step in that area heading into the FF.

He did fumble around a bit but overall his game was good. I noticed the goal obviously and a couple shaky moments on the puck but other than that he blended into the game like good stay at home defensemen often do.

The SCSU goal was a blown coverage by Poolman, not Panzo.  It was the wing lined up opposite Poolman that scored.  As a wing you have your counterpart until the puck moves back to the point- you then have coverage on the point on your side of the rink.  On a quick play like that, the d doesn't have time to take that wing.

My immediate reaction was that was Pooly playing wing and not having enough time upfront to make the right play there.

The SCSU goal was a blown coverage by Poolman, not Panzo. It was the wing lined up opposite Poolman that scored. As a wing you have your counterpart until the puck moves back to the point- you then have coverage on the point on your side of the rink. On a quick play like that, the d doesn't have time to take that wing.

My immediate reaction was that was Pooly playing wing and not having enough time upfront to make the right play there.

I never said that goal was his fault. He was solid in his d zone.

• 2 weeks later...

@UNDmhockey: For the second year in a row, Nick Mattson is the men's hockey recipient of the NCAA Elite 89 Award. #UNDproud http://t.co/rGfoWceG2k

@UNDmhockey: LT: The award is given to the participant with the highest GPA at each NCAA championship. Mattson is a management major with a 3.922 GPA.

@UNDmhockey: A @UNDmhockey player has won the Elite 89 Award three times in its six years of existence: Mattson (2015, 2014) and Brad Eidsness (2011).

• 1 month later...