SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

As usual, the 4th line will be made up of whomever wants it the most. I have to believe that we'll see something like the following (based on playmaker, shooter, speedster or banger)-

1. Mark Mac with Parks and Schmaltz

2. Rocco with Jewels and Johnson

3. Gaarder with Pattyn and OD

really hard to sit St. Clair, so it will likely be him with Olson, Simonson, Murphy, and/or Chyzyk

D is already set, although Poolman could challenge

That's Zane's net.

There's always next year! Go Sioux!

I think you may see a line of Pattyn-Gaarder-St Clair as a shutdown grinder type line. I think a big key is we need to find someone to play with Rocco. Obviously, Pattyn will be moving back to his more comfortable grinder shutdown type role. Reuniting Caggulia with Rocco might be best and keeping Johnson with them could be good. I just think Rocco was put in a tough spot this year being moved to center and really having to carry a line on his shoulders. Luke will be a good college player but he wasn't a top two line guy this year and really didn't have the feet quite yet to play with Rocco but we had to make due with the options we had.

Regional tickets generally go on sale mid November if my memory is correct.

Wonder how many will actually go on sale to the general public? UND has said they will hold some back for a presale for Champions Club members. Guessing they could sell all 6,000 just to that group if they were able to.

Wonder how many will actually go on sale to the general public? UND has said they will hold some back for a presale for Champions Club members. Guessing they could sell all 6,000 just to that group if they were able to.

Fully agree.

I am worried I won't be able to get them because I am in one of the lower levels of the Champions Club!

I just hope that those who have the ability to purchase regional tickets actually buy them with the intention of attending the games rather than reselling/gouging. It will definitely be a sellers' market.

Dave

I just hope that those who have the ability to purchase regional tickets actually buy them with the intention of attending the games rather than reselling/gouging. It will definitely be a sellers' market.

Dave

I'm sure there will be plenty of the latter, as long as people(like me) are willing to pay a lot to go.

After all...I saved about $1000 not taking a quick trip to Philly tomorrow, so I have to spend it somewhere on the SIOUX!

I think you may see a line of Pattyn-Gaarder-St Clair as a shutdown grinder type line. I think a big key is we need to find someone to play with Rocco. Obviously, Pattyn will be moving back to his more comfortable grinder shutdown type role. Reuniting Caggulia with Rocco might be best and keeping Johnson with them could be good. I just think Rocco was put in a tough spot this year being moved to center and really having to carry a line on his shoulders. Luke will be a good college player but he wasn't a top two line guy this year and really didn't have the feet quite yet to play with Rocco but we had to make due with the options we had.

I agree with everything you noted. I'm guessing when Rocco came here he was thinking he would play with some gifted players. We need him to have some patience. Next year could be a huge year for him if he stays (and hopefully Hak beefs up his line).

Rocco's a tough guy to play with. TH has mentioned and eluded to this several times on the radio. He has played with pretty much the entire roster at one point or another. At the world juniors the same problem arose.

I love Rocco's intensity and what he brings to the table. That said, I don't see him making the players on his line better.

My way too early lineup prediction:

Schmaltz-MacMillan-Parks

Caggiula-Grimaldi-Olson

Pattyn-Gaarder-St.Clair

OD/Chyzk-Simonson-Johnson

LaDue-Schmaltz

Thompson-Stecher

Mattson-Ausmus/Poolman

Gothberg

Johnson

Hrynkiw

Outside looking in: Ausmus/Poolman, OD/Chyz, Murphy, and Sanderson

Have Simonson and Johnson played on the same team before? I was thinking they have and that was part of the reason I put them on the same line. This gives us 3 pretty balanced lines capable of producing offensively along with a line that can play very physical and grind things out. Defensively there aren't the ideal left/right pairs but I tried to match guys based on the type of role I think they will play and also a little bit of stay at home/offensive styles although most all our d guy play an offensive style.

My way too early lineup prediction:

Schmaltz-MacMillan-Parks

Caggiula-Grimaldi-Olson

Pattyn-Gaarder-St.Clair

OD/Chyzk-Simonson-Johnson

LaDue-Schmaltz

Thompson-Stecher

Mattson-Ausmus/Poolman

Gothberg

Johnson

Hrynkiw

Outside looking in: Ausmus/Poolman, OD/Chyz, Murphy, and Sanderson

Have Simonson and Johnson played on the same team before? I was thinking they have and that was part of the reason I put them on the same line. This gives us 3 pretty balanced lines capable of producing offensively along with a line that can play very physical and grind things out. Defensively there aren't the ideal left/right pairs but I tried to match guys based on the type of role I think they will play and also a little bit of stay at home/offensive styles although most all our d guy play an offensive style.

I don't see Luke Johnson on the fourth line. I think we see Ausmus playing quite a bit.

Best part of next year is that we'll have resources upfront and the forwards will have to compete and play with consistency or they won't be in the lineup.

I say bring in as many forwards as possible. We lose Rodwell up front and that's it. Remember, Tambo left, opens an option to bring in a forward earlier and Panzeralla is a d-man not a forward.

If the older freshman fowards come in and produce, Murphy, OD, Chyzk could sit here and there. We'll have enough numbers to have one grinder line with Patyn, St. Clair, Gaarder. We don't need 4 lines of that makeup next year.

Mac Millian and Drake need to take huge strides next year. I expect Rocco and Parks to continue to develop. Luke needs to work on foot speed and diet this off-season. Needs to get quicker. It starts with that.

I don't expect Sanderson to play one game at all. Probably a great kid, not going to get ice time. Murphy is going to have to regroup this off-season mentally and refocus. The junior class soon to be Seniors next year has been giving plenty of opportunity throughout their time at UND. If these incoming freshman step in and can produce more offense and can contribute, play them!

• Upvote 1

D core next yr will be very interesting. Poolman is going to be a very good defensemen. He has the ability to be a shutdown guy like a Matt Jones and has tremendous offensive skills like Jordan Schmaltz. He will be an older guy 21 I think when he comes in so he is mature. He will be in opening day line up and will push to be in the top paring. He is the real deal.

Simmer's not an All-American? Nary a whisper of Zane either?

Just more disrespect to you guys. (And I know you guys are reading this.)

Put it in the collective team craw. Let it grind away at you all summer. Then, ... come next season ...

Make them pay ... All. Next. Season.

I don't see Luke Johnson on the fourth line. I think we see Ausmus playing quite a bit.

Putting Johnson there was more just trying to put him with Simonson because I thought they played together before and may have some previous chemistry but I could be wrong on that too and if I'm wrong I could easily see Johnson and Olson flopped. With the lineup we can have next season the way I look at it is there should be an opportunity to have 3 pretty balanced scoring lines. Agree on Ausmus but I do think Poolman will push for playing time right away too and we could have a similar defensemen situation to this season. One thing that seems to stick out right now is there seems to be much better depth for next season and there definitely could be guys who have played a number of games already for the Sioux fighting just to get in the lineup.

For those of you not watching for the details, when did this year's lines start to work?

Pattyn, Rocco, Johnson.

MacMillan, Caggiula, Parks.

Rodwell, Gaarder, O'Donnell.

Getter, Setter, Shooter.

Now, admittedly you have to be a little of each, and play open ice is a different story; but, in the zone Rocco, Cags, and Gaarder are setup men; Johnson, Parks, and O'D are guys you want shooting, and in-zone General, Mac, and Rodwell are monsters on the boards who come away with the puck.

Getter, Setter, Shooter.

Early season next year I suspect you'll won't see a freshman line but will see them mixed on other lines until they learn the systems and their defensive responsibilities.

Simmer's not an All-American? Nary a whisper of Zane either?

Just more disrespect to you guys. (And I know you guys are reading this.)

Put it in the collective team craw. Let it grind away at you all summer. Then, ... come next season ...

Make them pay ... All. Next. Season.

Simmer is also gone. There is no motivational factor there.

As for Zane, he had a very good year. But Wilcox is a second team team guy and he was better than Zane this year. Pretty tough to complain given that fact.

Putting Johnson there was more just trying to put him with Simonson because I thought they played together before and may have some previous chemistry but I could be wrong on that too and if I'm wrong I could easily see Johnson and Olson flopped. With the lineup we can have next season the way I look at it is there should be an opportunity to have 3 pretty balanced scoring lines. Agree on Ausmus but I do think Poolman will push for playing time right away too and we could have a similar defensemen situation to this season. One thing that seems to stick out right now is there seems to be much better depth for next season and there definitely could be guys who have played a number of games already for the Sioux fighting just to get in the lineup.

Johnson and Simonson played together in high school, a lot has happened since then. They could have some chemistry or they couldn't who knows. They never played together at Lincoln as Simonson wasn't on those teams.

For those of you not watching for the details, when did this year's lines start to work?

Pattyn, Rocco, Johnson.

MacMillan, Caggiula, Parks.

Rodwell, Gaarder, O'Donnell.

Getter, Setter, Shooter.

Now, admittedly you have to be a little of each, and play open ice is a different story; but, in the zone Rocco, Cags, and Gaarder are setup men; Johnson, Parks, and O'D are guys you want shooting, and in-zone General, Mac, and Rodwell are monsters on the boards who come away with the puck.

Getter, Setter, Shooter.

Early season next year I suspect you'll won't see a freshman line but will see them mixed on other lines until they learn the systems and their defensive responsibilities.

I would be floored if pattyn is top 6. He could improve though so who knows. Schmaltz has to be top 6. Unless Johnson gets a tad better (which I know he will) I could see him potentially losing a top 6 spot as well.

I hear you note the getter, setter, shooter thing a lot. Its honesty not like that. Sure you need a setter and shooter, I guess, but this getter thing confused me greatly And I don't know what this even means. To me, top 6 lines need to have, at the very least, two getters. In new age hockey there are combo players, etc. I don't know, just confused by that.

I would guess we see a roster of 26 players next season- 15 forwards, 7 defensemen, 1 F/D, and 3 goalies.

Seniors- 7 Gaarder, MacMillan, O'Donnell, Parks, Pattyn, Mattson and Panzarella.

Juniors- 7 Caggiula, Chyzk, Grimaldi, Sanderson, St.Clair, J.Schmaltz, and Gothberg.

Sophomores- 7 L.Johnson, Murphy, Ausmus, LaDue, Stecher, Thompson, and Hrynkiw.

Freshmen- 5 Olson, N.Schmaltz, Simonson, Poolman, and C.Johnson.

I dont know the last time it was updated but siouxsports shows 3 dman and 3 forwards comeing in

D-man

Charlie Pelnick

Ryan Mantha

Tucker Poolman

Forwards

Jack Rowe

Luke Voltin

Nick Schmaltz

No Olson or Simonson