SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Sorority in Trouble for Being a Sioux Fan

Old Time Hockey

I think it is funny how you can see the photographer's reflection in the window. The PC police don't get it, or don't care that the banner was purely directed at the NCAA.

Maybe this was just a stunt to get Time Out week more media coverage (maybe giving them too much credit). Unfortunately, Gamma Phi are the ones being sent to Time Out by Kelley and his self righteous staff!

Embarrassed that my alma mater has found this new low!

There is a pretty big argument going on Facebook right now about all this. I have friends with native heritage with hurt feelings and a sense of entitlement arguing with friends, who are racists and bigots, which support the nickname.

FYP

It's probably very unfortunate, considering the timing, that they used the word "you" instead of "they". Had they just used "they" it might have avoided any mistaken reference.

Kelley would have associated "they" to Standing Rock"

It's probably very unfortunate, considering the timing, that they used the word "you" instead of "they". Had they just used "they" it might have avoided any mistaken reference.

Picking apart a simple banner in support of hockey to create a political feud is exactly what the libs want. They saw an opportunity and they took it, then the University and the Kelley took the bait.

Picking apart a simple banner in support of hockey to create a political feud is exactly what the libs want. They saw an opportunity and they took it, then the University and the Kelley took the bait.

Cue the ban on jerseys with the Sioux logo on them next fall at sporting events...

Archie Fool Bear posted this pictuer of his grandsons practicing for the next Wachipi. Archie is from Standing Rock and a long-time supporter of UND and the nickname.

We've heard that argument before, CMSioux...Archie's just un-informed and needs to be educated on this issue.

Cue the ban on jerseys with the Sioux logo on them next fall at sporting events...

Kelley won't do that. The SBoHE would hang him. People still wear Miami U Redskins gear, Dartmouth Indians gear and until the day they die UND fans will wear Sioux gear.

Kelley won't do that. The SBoHE would hang him. People still wear Miami U Redskins gear, Dartmouth Indians gear and until the day they die UND fans will wear Sioux gear.

This gives him an opening to go back on that word. "Look, racism still exists on campus and the sooner we eradicate the Sioux nickname and logo, the better. Besides, we want ALL fans of the University of North Dakota to embrace our new nickname: The Glittery Unicorns."

The only positive thing to come from the nickname going away, or so I thought, was that I wouldn't have to listen to the whining and complaining from the anti-nickname crowd anymore. I guess not. It's not enough for them to have won. Now they want to "re-educate" everyone through sensitivity training into liking what happened (or at least to shut them up from expressing their opinions).

• Upvote 1

From Facebook:

Nadine Rose Tl I am a PROUD LAKOTA Woman from Standing Rock, we are PEOPLE not a mascot. Those of you who think it's NOT Offensive have never been yelled at by people from a sorority on UND campus who yelled offensive things at me as a child who grew up in Grand Forks! The LOGO was a representation of "Sioux" people. The word Sioux means Snake In The Grass in the Ojibaway Language. It is not an honor.

My response:

http://www.ndhsaanow...hools/161/solen The Solen Sioux!! It says Mascot: Sioux I thought you said people are not mascots, I guess they are on reservations.

If people aren't mascots why can they have the same nicknames on reservations if Sioux means snake.

https://www.facebook.../ValleyNewsLive

The SBoHE wouldn't care....they are the ones that wanted the nickname gone. Kelley has already stated that he would never be in favor of there being an attempt on a ban of Sioux gear.

That said....well I understand the intent behind the banner. The girls could have used better wording and this wouldn't have been a problem. Given their location on campus and what campus they are on....it is a no brainer to try to avoid these things.

What is happening is not the American Indian Center's fault or Kelley's fault or the media's fault or the NCAA's fault...the fault falls with the girls. Intent - good. Wording - not good at all.

The SBoHE wouldn't care....they are the ones that wanted the nickname gone. Kelley has already stated that he would never be in favor of there being an attempt on a ban of Sioux gear.

That said....well I understand the intent behind the banner. The girls could have used better wording and this wouldn't have been a problem. Given their location on campus and what campus they are on....it is a no brainer to try to avoid these things.

What is happening is not the American Indian Center's fault or Kelley's fault or the media's fault or the NCAA's fault...the fault falls with the girls. Intent - good. Wording - not good at all.

Wow!! You are so wrong on that one.

• Upvote 1

Wow!! You are so wrong on that one.

It is no one's fault, it shouldn't be offensive but it could have been worded better. Unfortunately the reality we currently live in is one where people go out of their way to be offended. There was absolutely no ill intent in their banner.

It shouldn't have required a comment from Kelley but I'm pretty certain it would have been a bigger mess had he not gotten out in front of it to control the message. If he doesn't comment and the PC police bring it to the paper or TV station's attention, they blow it up and UND is reacting from a defensive position.