SiouxSports.com Forum

Server performance / downtime

jimdahl

In short -- after some unusual downtime last weekend (we haven't really had capacity problems in something like half a decade now), I've made some server changes. Let me know if you see anything unusual.

I'll try to keep an eye on things during the UND game(s), but I definitely won't be in front of a computer (hopefully at the game).

In long/technical -- it took a while to diagnose based on logs because previous memory optimizations seem to continue to be sufficient and there were no indications that the server was memory constrained during its downtime. So, I think its processors were simply overloaded. That's a lot harder to fix than just throwing more memory at it as I've been able to do in the past. I cloned the web server and set up a load balancer in front of the two web servers. At a minimum that should double the capacity of the system. However, it's a completely different architecture as all forum requests are now going through the load balancer, so there's a chance of something being quirky or broken.

Jim - I have been meaning to ask you this, but in the last week whenever I go into a thread...I see this

Warning: Illegal string offset 'member_group_id' in /www/siouxsports.com/forum/admin/applications/forums/sources/classes/topics.php on line 2062

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/siouxsports.com/forum/admin/applications/forums/sources/classes/topics.php:2062) in /www/siouxsports.com/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/siouxsports.com/forum/admin/applications/forums/sources/classes/topics.php:2062) in /www/siouxsports.com/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/siouxsports.com/forum/admin/applications/forums/sources/classes/topics.php:2062) in /www/siouxsports.com/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/siouxsports.com/forum/admin/applications/forums/sources/classes/topics.php:2062) in /www/siouxsports.com/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/siouxsports.com/forum/admin/applications/forums/sources/classes/topics.php:2062) in /www/siouxsports.com/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141

Is it my computer or something weird going on?

Jim - I have been meaning to ask you this, but in the last week whenever I go into a thread...I see this

I started getting the same messages last night. Also, if I click on a post by someone I have on my ignore list the thread brings the post to the top of the page but it doesn't open the post. Both started happening about the same time.

I've been seeing the same thing for a few days. Exact same behavior.

I should also add: thanks for the hard work, Jim. I know it's not fun dealing with this kinda stuff during off hours (especially if it's also what you do for work). So a huge thanks for all that you do.

I should also add: thanks for the hard work, Jim. I know it's not fun dealing with this kinda stuff during off hours (especially if it's also what you do for work). So a huge thanks for all that you do.

Agreed. Thanks, Jim. And I am glad it is not just me.

I started getting the same messages last night. Also, if I click on a post by someone I have on my ignore list the thread brings the post to the top of the page but it doesn't open the post. Both started happening about the same time.

I'm also seeing this. Thought it was just on the iPad, but using PC now and seeing it as well.

Hi JIm

just wonder if the posters athat are swearing tonight going to get a timeout?

I understand your concern -- it's tough for the volunteer moderators to keep up in real time during extreme events like now, but we'll definitely be reviewing things.