SiouxSports.com Forum

Unpopular Opinion - UND Baseball

nodak651

As great of a sport baseball is, and for how terrible it would be for the current players, does anybody else think that UND should drop baseball?

Being realistic, we just don't live in a geographic area that is conductive to fielding a competitive team. They can't even play here, period! UND has plenty of sports at the moment, and baseball isn't even sponsored by the Big Sky. Basketball and Football could certainly use the money...

One important thing to think about - If we didn't already have a team, would there be any reason to add one? Answer is NO.

As great of a sport baseball is, and for how terrible it would be for the current players, does anybody else think that UND should drop baseball?

Being realistic, we just don't live in a geographic area that is conductive to fielding a competitive team. They can't even play here, period! UND has plenty of sports at the moment, and baseball isn't even sponsored by the Big Sky. Basketball and Football could certainly use the money...

One important thing to think about - If we didn't already have a team, would there be any reason to add one? Answer is NO.

I think they should. Look how they had to move a game (a DI conference game) to Bismarck. Unless we have a dome to play ball in, I say drop it. However if UND drops baseball (and probably softball), what sport should they replace them with? Lacrosse?

This has actually been discussed quite a bit on this board, and for a long time. I don't think your opinion is that unpopular on this board. I think most posters share it. Division I baseball makes little sense at UND. I'd much rather see lacrosse. I don't see it happening though.

• Upvote 1

Well I don't think they should drop Softball because the Big Sky offers it and because of title 9.

Cratter/mk - I know it has been discussed but I couldn't find the thread! Thought was fresh on my mind due to the weather - it really is wishful thinking that UND baseball could be even semi-successful.

I wouldn't mind lax if they did it at memorial, I think they could be very competitive, considering the talent in the Twin Cities and the fact that there are no D1 lax schools nearby. I would prefer they save the money for our current sports, however. Use it to pay a quality basketball coach.

To the point of the thread, is there ANY chance that they will ever do this? Or should I just forget about it?

edit: perhaps I should have just asked gfhockey what his goodol' boys have to say about it haha

Question.....will the new indoor training facility be able to hold softball games? If the answer is yes, then I'm fine with keeping softball.

But yes, I agree with most who have posted. Does not make a lot of sense when you have no idea when the weather will allow them to practice outside even, let alone get on Kraft.

Well I don't think they should drop Softball because the Big Sky offers it and because of title 9.

Cratter/mk - I know it has been discussed but I couldn't find the thread! Thought was fresh on my mind due to the weather - it really is wishful thinking that UND baseball could be even semi-successful.

I wouldn't mind lax if they did it at memorial, I think they could be very competitive, considering the talent in the Twin Cities and the fact that there are no D1 lax schools nearby. I would prefer they save the money for our current sports, however. Use it to pay a quality basketball coach.

To the point of the thread, is there ANY chance that they will ever do this? Or should I just forget about it?

edit: perhaps I should have just asked gfhockey what his goodol' boys have to say about it haha

That wouldn't be a bad idea.

nodak651: You say the idea is "unpopular". I say it's time to revisit it.

The prior conversation:

Start at about Post 12.

Initially the ITF could host UND MLax because it is being built with seating for about 1500. When it needs more space there's Alerus Center.

Does anyone in N. Dak. have high school Lacrosse ? How many Minnesota or Montana teams? Baseball is our " national past time". Might need to upgrade Kraft so we have artificial turf and then clear it early. There are a lot of hs baseball teams and minimal interest in lacrosse. This years team has some pretty good kids . Deal with the weather and adjust. Very few schools play lacrosse around here. There would be no core local recruiting area. If you think kids wont come here to play baseball why would anyone think kids would come from farther away to play lacrosse?

• Upvote 1

Does anyone in N. Dak. have high school Lacrosse ? How many Minnesota or Montana teams? Baseball is our " national past time". Might need to upgrade Kraft so we have artificial turf and then clear it early. There are a lot of hs baseball teams and minimal interest in lacrosse. This years team has some pretty good kids . Deal with the weather and adjust. Very few schools play lacrosse around here. There would be no core local recruiting area. If you think kids wont come here to play baseball why would anyone think kids would come from farther away to play lacrosse?

There are about 70 schools in MN participating (all Twin Cities metro) and it has been and will continue to grow.

They've "turfed" the infield at Kraft already. You can't play with 13" of snow on April 1.

The next recognized boys sport by the NDHSAA will be lacrosse. I'm on record here with that prediction.

UND had hockey before ND HS hockey sponsored it, didn't it*? Same model here for lacrosse: Recruit 25 year old overage Canadians. :D

*First NDHSAA recognized champion was GF Central in 1967 ... UND won a National Championship in 1959.

• Upvote 1

I'll be the contrarian. I think baseball can be respectable in the WAC, probably more successful that track or cross country will be competing in a Big Sky where we are the only school not at altitude or in a warm climate.

Baseball is popular in North Dakota, and has a pretty rich history. The state has produced more MLB athletes than any other major pro sport in recent years, and several have performed at a high profile level. It's also actually got a small number of scholarship equivalencies, so cutting it isn't going to create a huge windfall. It also has a pretty supportive alumni base as well.

• Upvote 2

I'll be the contrarian. I think baseball can be respectable in the WAC, probably more successful that track or cross country will be competing in a Big Sky where we are the only school not at altitude or in a warm climate.

Baseball is popular in North Dakota, and has a pretty rich history. The state has produced more MLB athletes than any other major pro sport in recent years, and several have performed at a high profile level. It's also actually got a small number of scholarship equivalencies, so cutting it isn't going to create a huge windfall. It also has a pretty supportive alumni base as well.

I'm with you. Keep baseball and drop the lacrosse idea. Baseball costs little and has a large alumni base that donates to the university. Lacrosse will cost a lot, draw little to no fan interest, and will be a financial drain on the athletic department near the magnitude of women's hockey. The only reason I'd support dropping baseball is if we had to in order to get the Title IX space to drop women's hockey.

• Upvote 2

The lacrosse conference world is now very difficult for UND to break into.

The Big Ten lacrosse conference starts next year with these teams:

Michigan

Ohio St

Penn St

Maryland

Rutgers

Johns Hopkins

I kind of expect Minnesota to start lacrosse in a few years. They could actually play a few games in the new Vikings stadium until April when they would switch to TCF. Pro indoor lacrosse has been popular in the Cities and those HS kids playing would flock to UofMinn lax games.

Denver has joined the Big East in lacrosse this year.

That leaves Air Force as the lone western team looking for a western conference, but in the mean time they will be joining an east coast league too like in hockey.

If and when USC and Stanford start a western league with Air Force and a couple of other teams is the question. That lax league would be superior in status to WAC baseball, which is the highest we can hope for in baseball.

I believe the Big Sky is heading for FBS, and there isn't room for more men's scholarships if that happens.

I'm with you, also. Coach Dodson has been building this program up to where we're competing well this season after stepping up from the Great Western to the WAC (6-3 conf. record so far, despite no actual home games, unless you count the 3 games just played in Bismarck). They should only get better, as most of their key players are underclassmen. The strength of the team is pitching, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the team make a run in the conference tournament for the auto bid.

For the record, since everybody is bringing up lacrosse, adding the sport isn't what i was suggesting - thought the money would have a better roi if funneled into basketball and football.

Those of you saying that there is a strong contingent of donating baseball alumni, do you have evidence to back this up? I would think that Kraft field would have a turf outfield by now if these guys donate a significant amount of money. HIGHLY doubt they donate enough money to offset the costs of baseball, so losing their revenue wouldn't even be a big deal...

For the record, since everybody is bringing up lacrosse, adding the sport isn't what i was suggesting - thought the money would have a better roi if funneled into basketball and football.

Those of you saying that there is a strong contingent of donating baseball alumni, do you have evidence to back this up? I would think that Kraft field would have a turf outfield by now if these guys donate a significant amount of money. HIGHLY doubt they donate enough money to offset the costs of baseball, so losing their revenue wouldn't even be a big deal...

I cannot name one baseball alumn, I also have never attended a UND or any college baseball game so if UND dropped it, it wouldn't matter to me. It doesn't fit with our weather unless the schedule was more like the FM Redhawks (May-Aug). At least there wouldn't be many games if at all postponed due to weather unless it rained.

I've long been in favor of dumping baseball. I love the sport, but it just doesn't work here at the DI level. It was different in the NCC when most opponents were a short drive away. The Big Sky doesn't require it, much less even sponsor it. Simply put, it is a poor investment with little to no potential return.

And if it were dropped, I don't agree with replacing it with another sport, ala lacrosse. Use the monetary savings elsewhere. I'm sure that is a couple hundred thousand dollars a year that I think would be better spent on basketball or football.

Looking at the IPF website, doesn't seem like they can play softball games in there. Although they could definitely practice.

I love the sport of baseball, and don't mind softball, but the climate just doesn't make it sensible. The University of Minnesota is really missing the metrodome. They got an upgrade with the field turf at their new/upgraded old field, but a lot of those early games they had at home, like the Dairy queen classic can't happen this year. They played their first 20 games on the road this year. They were able to play some games at home last week, but only because they could clear off the field turf. (not possible in the outfield at Kraft, because you would tear up the grass)

UND has already moved home games, and had to cancel one tomorrow against Crookston. They now head back south again to play in Nebraska before possibly hosting a home series. So 20 something games on the road before playing at home (fingers crossed). If the weather magically goes according to plan, they'll get to play 12 home games this year at Kraft field. They'll likely end up playing around 46 games this year, and only 12 of those will happen at home.

I'm not a genius whatsoever when it comes to sports management, but I'm guessing that the baseball group has to be doing some fundraising or getting some donations, because dollars wise, they're always traveling which isn't cheap.

Love baseball to death, but would love to see an expenditure report. At the same time, if a rich alumnus is out there bankrolling the whole thing, I'll go away...... :lol:

Looking at the IPF website, doesn't seem like they can play softball games in there. Although they could definitely practice.

I love the sport of baseball, and don't mind softball, but the climate just doesn't make it sensible. The University of Minnesota is really missing the metrodome. They got an upgrade with the field turf at their new/upgraded old field, but a lot of those early games they had at home, like the Dairy queen classic can't happen this year. They played their first 20 games on the road this year. They were able to play some games at home last week, but only because they could clear off the field turf. (not possible in the outfield at Kraft, because you would tear up the grass)

UND has already moved home games, and had to cancel one tomorrow against Crookston. They now head back south again to play in Nebraska before possibly hosting a home series. So 20 something games on the road before playing at home (fingers crossed). If the weather magically goes according to plan, they'll get to play 12 home games this year at Kraft field. They'll likely end up playing around 46 games this year, and only 12 of those will happen at home.

I'm not a genius whatsoever when it comes to sports management, but I'm guessing that the baseball group has to be doing some fundraising or getting some donations, because dollars wise, they're always traveling which isn't cheap.

Love baseball to death, but would love to see an expenditure report. At the same time, if a rich alumnus is out there bankrolling the whole thing, I'll go away...... :lol:

The Vikings stadium new stadium is also configured for baseball and soccer and lacrosse and hockey and basketball. It will get a lot of February and March dates from regional college baseball teams, probably including UND, just like the MetroDome was.

http://blogs.citypag...umb-560x349.jpg

http://www.undsports...TCLID=209458192

The New Mexico State series is cancelled. These guys can't seem to catch a break.

I suppose the Alerus isn't able to host baseball?

I ask because if we are ever going to be competitive in baseball we need more home games and in our climate an indoor option seems to be the only way. Otherwise I am leaning toward dropping baseball and investing more into football and basketball.

keep in mind that there is a movement to make baseball a two season sport so they can do half the season in the fall and half in the spring. The big ten is behind it so it's got a good shot. There should be enough athletes to be at least regionally competitive. The lack of a realistic conference is a problem.