SiouxSports.com Forum

Hakstol and his team

SIOUXELEVENS

People...people...can't you see that fightingsioux4life didn't get held enough as a child and it's all Dave Hakstol's fault? LEAVE HIM/HER ALONE!!!

Real mature and classy Ray77. And if people want to ignore me, that is fine. It just means they want all opinions to be like their own. I answer people's questions on this topic as best I can and all I get in response is name-calling, childish comments and people telling me to shut up. I don't think I am the one with the problem here.

Real mature and classy Ray77. And if people want to ignore me, that is fine. It just means they want all opinions to be like their own. I answer people's questions on this topic as best I can and all I get in response is name-calling, childish comments and people telling me to shut up. I don't think I am the one with the problem here.

You come off as a whiny crybaby, and nothing is ever good enough for you. I get the impression that no matter who's coaching this team, you'd find something wrong with them.

• Upvote 3

I do agree that at some point the AD has to look at a coach's body of work and figure out if he's on the right path, as far as building a program to win a national champsionship. However, as I've stated many times, you can't get rid of the guy yet as his resume as been too good up until this point. Give the guy 3-5 more years....if he can't get it done in a 15 year tenure I'm guessing Hak himself may look at different options.

Also, this is not the best time to even be talking about this as we are in the F4 about to play one of the biggest games this college has had in a pretty long time, against not only the #1 team in the country but a team we all despise greatly. Maybe it's time to cool it for a while until the summer.

Okay, I see your point on waiting until summer (when there is nothing else to talk about). But when I am attacked, I will respond. I am thankful you don't make personal and childish comments. Come April 12th, this whole discussion might be moot. And I will come on here and give Hakstol and his staff and all his players (some of whom weren't recruited by anybody) all the props they deserve. I have said that before; I just wanted to reiterate it.

And here is another FACT for you; it is possible to be a fan of a team and still criticize where appropriate. For some people on this forum, that time and place doesn't exist. They would give Hakstol a lifetime contract if they could. But that isn't how it works in college athletics and everyone better get used to it.

Why is it that all of the hockey coach supporters are lumped in as "lifetime contract" Kool-Aid drinkers who kneel daily and pray to Dave Hakstol bobbleheads? I just don't get that...

Why is it that all of the hockey coach supporters are lumped in as "lifetime contract" Kool-Aid drinkers who kneel daily and pray to Dave Hakstol bobbleheads? I just don't get that...

to me jerry york is the only coach that has excelled during haks tenure, york figured out college hockeys transition early And everyone else is now playing catch up.

You come off as a whiny crybaby, and nothing is ever good enough for you. I get the impression that no matter who's coaching this team, you'd find something wrong with them.

Really? I have a different point of view than a lot of people on here and that makes me a "whiny crybaby"? I thought different opinions were welcomed on a discussion forum. I guess not.

And no, I would not "find something wrong" with whomever is coaching this team. I supported Dean Blais 1000% when he was here. I supported Dale Lennon 1000% when he was here. I supported Gene Roebuck 1000% when he was here. And I support Brian Idalski 1000% right now. But when a program was atrophying (Rich Glas), when a program was a total mess (Chris Mussman, Shantel Rivard), I called for changes to be made. I think Brian Jones should be allowed to finish out his current contract, but I don't think he should get an extension unless the Men's BB program shows more progress.

In Hakstol's case, we have a program that has a rich tradition and history and a program that has won league championships (regular season and playoff) and has advanced to the Frozen Four six times, but has also underperformed terribly once they got there on five of those occasions. This year might be different, as we are not loaded with 1st round draft picks and the team wins and loses games together (no D-O-T scoring line to shoulder the load).

It will be interesting in seeing what happens next week. And I do commend Hakstol and his staff for getting this team to play together so well, which is why we are where we are. But fair or not (and I don't know if it's totally fair), top-notch programs like ours are measured by NCAA titles or lack thereof. Cary Eades said "Greatness at North Dakota is measured in national championships" and I think he knows something about that. Or maybe someone should tell him that "times have changed" and "you just cannot expect that to happen in Grand Forks anymore". I for one agree with him and think we shouldn't ever lose sight of it.

I was being facetious with the "lifetime contract" comment. But it does sound like that sometimes. People basically give Hakstol credit for everything that goes right with the program, but nothing bad that happens is ever his fault. To your credit, you are not like that, but some others on here (the ones resorting to name calling) have come across like that.

To be fair, why is it that FS4L is lumped in as a "whiny crybaby" who "didn't get held enough as a child...."? If that's not a personal attack on a poster, I don't know what is. If gfhockey says that to one of you, he's taking a break from this site.....

Note: I don't believe Hak should be fired, but I don't believe he is the perfect coach many here seem to think he is either. Coaches often get too much credit for team success and team failures.....

• Upvote 1

Okay, I see your point on waiting until summer (when there is nothing else to talk about). But when I am attacked, I will respond. I am thankful you don't make personal and childish comments. Come April 12th, this whole discussion might be moot. And I will come on here and give Hakstol and his staff and all his players (some of whom weren't recruited by anybody) all the props they deserve. I have said that before; I just wanted to reiterate it.

To summarize, If Hak (not the players), but Hak doesn't win the next two games, the rest of his wins, frozen fours, WCHA titles, Final Five tourney wins, success in general means nothing. Why keep Hak when we could go get an unproven coach with none of those credentials. You do realize that win or lose the next two games, he is the same coach. Your argument lacks depth. Remember that to fire an accomplished coach, a better one should be available.

Any to scpa0305's point, this is the dumbest conversation to have, when the boys just made it to the frozen four. Probably time for Michigan St Basketball to fire their coach, and Coach K lost to Mercer ... He must suck! I get the guy is missing the national title on his resume, but you have to factor in the rest of his accomplishments, when have this discussion.

To be fair, why is it that FS4L is lumped in as a "whiny crybaby" who "didn't get held enough as a child...."? If that's not a personal attack on a poster, I don't know what is. If gfhockey says that to one of you, he's taking a break from this site.....

Note: I don't believe Hak should be fired, but I don't believe he is the perfect coach many here seem to think he is. Coaches often get too much credit for team success and team failures.....

It was me who said that, not MM. I didn't realize that calling someone a whiny crybaby was such a bad attack, especially when they are coming off as a whiny crybaby. Or maybe it is more of an ornery old codger.

It's been interesting to see the comments on this site lately. In past years, Hak gets skewered for not winning the big one when they go in as a #1 or #2 seed and it's all on his shoulders because he "can't get them up for the big game", but now this year the comments are more of the 'let's be cautious people...anything can happen in a one and done format', etc. Well...which way is it?

• Upvote 1

To summarize, If Hak (not the players), but Hak doesn't win the next two games, the rest of his wins, frozen fours, WCHA titles, Final Five tourney wins, success in general means nothing. Why keep Hak when we could go get an unproven coach with none of those credentials. You do realize that win or lose the next two games, he is the same coach. Your argument lacks depth. Remember that to fire an accomplished coach, a better one should be available.

Any to scpa0305's point, this is the dumbest conversation to have, when the boys just made it to the frozen four. Probably time for Michigan St Basketball to fire their coach, and Coach K lost to Mercer ... He must suck! I get the guy is missing the national title on his resume, but you have to factor in the rest of his accomplishments, when have this discussion.

Okay, I see your point about not having his conversation now. But some other posters started talking about it again and I got sucked in (again). I have nothing personal against anyone on this forum; I just feel the need to say what is on my mind and this is as good a place as any to do that.

It was me who said that, not MM. I didn't realize that calling someone a whiny crybaby was such a bad attack, especially when they are coming off as a whiny crybaby. Or maybe it is more of an ornery old codger.

It's been interesting to see the comments on this site lately. In past years, Hak gets skewered for not winning the big one when they go in as a #1 or #2 seed and it's all on his shoulders because he "can't get them up for the big game", but now this year the comments are more of the 'let's be cautious people...anything can happen in a one and done format', etc. Well...which way is it?

I am thinking that because we have a team without all those early round NHL draft picks that people's expectations are somewhat different.

Really? We want him to make adjustments to his precious "baseline defensive system" when appropriate and we also would like to figure out how some of his earlier Frozen Four teams bombed so bad once the puck dropped in front of a national television audience. I will tell you that I am one of the more objective Hakstol critics; I know some others that are much more vitriolic than I am. And I think they take it too far.

Also, I HAVE talked about how to replace Hakstol when he is gone and why it is not as crazy of an idea as some people think. You just choose not to read it or acknowledge it. And that is YOUR problem, not mine.

Finally, I don't have to "get used to" anything. If I don't like something, I can and will point it out. If I think there is something wrong, I can and will point it out. If you are insistent on blind loyalty towards everything Hakstol, that is your prerogative. But don't tell me what to "get used to". Again, if Hakstol is the greatest thing since sliced bread, let's give him a lifetime contract so we don't lose him. I don't think it's a good idea, but it seems like a lot of people on this forum think it is. And that is the mentality that I have a problem with.

Yes I know, everything is everyone's else's problem not yours.

The thing you don't get is, you can piss and moan all you want, but the fact remains you have to get used to Hak!

He is going nowhere, unless your Id says AD Faison, sorry but you do have to get used to Hak! Thank God!!

Yes I know, everything is everyone's else's problem not yours.

The thing you don't get is, you can piss and moan all you want, but the fact remains you have to get used to Hak!

He is going nowhere, unless your Id says AD Faison, sorry but you do have to get used to Hak! Thank God!!

If people have a problem with what I think, then that's my problem? So what am I supposed to do then, shut up and assimilate? Sorry pal, that isn't happening.

And maybe you are the one that has to "get used to" me having a different thought process on stuff?

• Upvote 1

I am thinking that because we have a team without all those early round NHL draft picks that people's expectations are somewhat different.

It doesn't matter how many draft picks you have on your team...it's still a one and done format in the NCAA's. It was 5 years ago and it is today. Don't get me wrong, Hakstol is in a pretty high position and people in those positions understand that can come with scrutiny. I'm not saying he can't be criticized or that he walks on water. And I'm sure he'd agree. I just find it funny that people call for Hakstol's head when they've lost in the past and now this year for some reason just now people seem to understand that anything can happen in this tournament.

If people have a problem with what I think, then that's my problem? So what am I supposed to do then, shut up and assimilate? Sorry pal, that isn't happening.

And maybe you are the one that has to "get used to" me having a different thought process on stuff?

I can play this...if people have a problem with you having a problem with Hak, then its not your problem, its their problem?

Got it......pal.

Some teams overachieve...some underachieve. UND's program is no different. I'll give Hak is full due...IMO this team overachieved regardless of next Thursday.

Absolutely, and two more days of overachieving remain

To be fair, I never said or insinuated any such comments as those attributed to me by your reply back to my original post.

Okay, I see your point about not having his conversation now. But some other posters started talking about it again and I got sucked in (again). I have nothing personal against anyone on this forum; I just feel the need to say what is on my mind and this is as good a place as any to do that.

fair enough

Some teams overachieve...some underachieve. UND's program is no different. I'll give Hak is full due...IMO this team overachieved regardless of next Thursday.

this team has not overachieved, did anyone see goth put the fargo force on his shoulders and carry the team, this team is capable of even more than what they have shown. This team is built specificially to win in the ncaa tourn, give the team its due theyve underachieving in my eyes i think they are capable of even more

this team has not overachieved, did anyone see goth put the fargo force on his shoulders and carry the team, this team is capable of even more than what they have shown. This team is built specificially to win in the ncaa tourn, give the team its due theyve underachieving in my eyes i think they are capable of even more

I guess I stand corrected. Forgot about all the scoring we had coming back and the experience on the blue line.

• Upvote 1