SiouxSports.com Forum

Hakstol and his team

SIOUXELEVENS

Rocco is in a tough position. He came in with a lot of hype, then suffered terrible knee injury which caused him to lose a full year of playing time and experience, and also hampered him for a while last year. His style of play did not fully translate to the college game, and his linemates were not accustomed to seeing passes come out of places and at times they did not expect. He makes ill advised passes. I too think he has not lived up to the level that I anticipated when he came to UND. He also gets frustrated when things do not go his way.

However, I also feel that he has progressed tremendously this year. His motor is now at a pretty high compete level almost 100% of the time. He has learned somewhat that his passes need to be tempered to the situation and to his linemates, although he still does make some ill-advised passes. His speed has absolutely changed games and how opponents play. His speed has caused opponents to take penalties (the UND power play is another separate issue) He has become adept at stripping the puck and anticipating passes. He still has a lot of improvement to go (especially in his shooting) and I think he will make even further strides next year. Luke Johnson has shown that he has the potential to become a Ryan Duncan type sniper and to be able to play with Rocco. They could make a dynamic combo next year. At this point I would prefer that he hang around, as I think he will continue to adjust and improve. It seems like he has been here a long time, but this is just his second year of skating at UND.

Great points. His speed, tenacity, and compete level are tremendous. His ceiling is certainly very high. I don't think you'd find many arguments if you said Rocco is the most skilled player on the team. I believe that myself. Would really like to see him chin up and just keep plugging away when it doesn't work. Easy for my lazy rear to say. He's all over the keep plugging away part, but I hate to see anyone in a UND jersey hang their head.

Amen man. Amen. Most of these guys will NEVER get what you wrote here.

I couldn't agree with you more. Of course, some guys on here will take that as we should go up to Hak and TELL him how badly we want him fired...lol.

Again, couldn't agree more with you, but some will never ever ever ever understand this reasoning. At the end of the day, you're just a "hater".

But on the same token those with a different opinion are called "apologists". Can't we all just get along - we are all rooting for the same school.

Guys.....guys.....don't go over to GPL.....or even USCHO......

Let the ignorant ones come over here, and you'll get a minor understanding of the crap that goes on/is said over there. I wish they all could be like Sagaard and have some puck knowledge and a humble way of going about things.....but thats not the way it is.

When I was a regular poster at USCHO....I tried.....I did. Lot of great college hockey fans out there....there really are. I'm not going to lie, Minnesota has some of the best people, and hockey fans that I've ever met, or conversed with. Even talked shop with some pretty cool BC guys who know more about the game than I could ever hope too.

Then "those fans" show up.....and it just isn't worth the battle.....We have them too, and I'm more embarrassed for the normal parts of the fan bases than anything.

When I was a regular poster at USCHO....I tried.....I did.

Then "those fans" show up.....and it just isn't worth the battle.....We have them too, and I'm more embarrassed for the normal parts of the fan bases than anything.

Yep. That's why I stopped posting over on USCHO. Used to be a very regular poster over there, but it just got tiresome with all the trolls...every fanbase had them.

Guys.....guys.....don't go over to GPL.....or even USCHO......

Agreed. If a bunch of UND trolls go over there, then we'll probably see (even more) UMN trolls over here.

• Upvote 1

Great points. His speed, tenacity, and compete level are tremendous. His ceiling is certainly very high. I don't think you'd find many arguments if you said Rocco is the most skilled player on the team. I believe that myself. Would really like to see him chin up and just keep plugging away when it doesn't work. Easy for my lazy rear to say. He's all over the keep plugging away part, but I hate to see anyone in a UND jersey hang their head.

I actually thought Rocco did an excellent job of that on Saturday night. He was being clutched and grabbed and pulled every which way, yet he kept trying to power through it. I swear Czarnowczan made it his personal mission to repeatedly attack Grimaldi in that game; tripped him behind the net and then cross-checked him hard as soon as Ferris touched up (right in front of the official, though only the trip was called). And Rocco just skated away and kept pushing on the very next shift.

Hopefully your recovery is going smoothly...take care and rest up.

I thought we could all use a dose of humor and couldn't resist...

Recovery is slowly coming along. Just pondering if I'll be recovered enough to book a flight in oh say ten days or so

You talk a big game about give and take! I think you just like to hear yourself talk!

And I deliver. It's not my fault that people don't want to hear opinions that are not "ducky and bunny" approved. And that is their problem and not mine.

Here is a fact; the majority of good Sioiux fans are totally tired of the haters on this site.

And here is another FACT for you; it is possible to be a fan of a team and still criticize where appropriate. For some people on this forum, that time and place doesn't exist. They would give Hakstol a lifetime contract if they could. But that isn't how it works in college athletics and everyone better get used to it.

But on the same token those with a different opinion are called "apologists". Can't we all just get along - we are all rooting for the same school.

Well my friend, when people cherry-pick your comments so that your original point is lost and they look like geniuses, that is the very definition of "apologist". My first priority is the program, not individual coaches or players. And while we are on the subject of "name calling", calling me a "hater" because I have the unmitigated gall to make public unpopular opinions is pretty much the same thing. And you are right, we are all rooting for the same school. When that puck drops on Thursday, April 10th and we are battling the hated Gophers for a spot in the NCAA title game, we'll be on the same side. But that doesn't mean we can't have honest disagreements about things.

And I deliver. It's not my fault that people don't want to hear opinions that are not "ducky and bunny" approved. And that is their problem and not mine.

And here is another FACT for you; it is possible to be a fan of a team and still criticize where appropriate. For some people on this forum, that time and place doesn't exist. They would give Hakstol a lifetime contract if they could. But that isn't how it works in college athletics and everyone better get used to it.

The only person that has to get used to something is you.

Get used to Hak! You say only criticism, but yet you and others act like you want him gone, fine your opinion, but none of you have givin a legit reason to justify that move and NONE of you have said what you would do when he his gone!

I do agree that at some point the AD has to look at a coach's body of work and figure out if he's on the right path, as far as building a program to win a national champsionship. However, as I've stated many times, you can't get rid of the guy yet as his resume as been too good up until this point. Give the guy 3-5 more years....if he can't get it done in a 15 year tenure I'm guessing Hak himself may look at different options.

Also, this is not the best time to even be talking about this as we are in the F4 about to play one of the biggest games this college has had in a pretty long time, against not only the #1 team in the country but a team we all despise greatly. Maybe it's time to cool it for a while until the summer.

• Upvote 1

We are used to your bitching and expect it to continue here for as long as the board exists. It's also nice for those of us who don't have to listen in person and can ignore it here. Wish you'd just have your own thread rather than trashing the duckies and bunnies threads. At any rate, I'm now throwing some sioux fans into the several page ignore list with many Gopher and Bison fans. Bye

• Upvote 2

The only person that has to get used to something is you.

Get used to Hak! You say only criticism, but yet you and others act like you want him gone, fine your opinion, but none of you have givin a legit reason to justify that move and NONE of you have said what you would do when he his gone!

Really? We want him to make adjustments to his precious "baseline defensive system" when appropriate and we also would like to figure out how some of his earlier Frozen Four teams bombed so bad once the puck dropped in front of a national television audience. I will tell you that I am one of the more objective Hakstol critics; I know some others that are much more vitriolic than I am. And I think they take it too far.

Also, I HAVE talked about how to replace Hakstol when he is gone and why it is not as crazy of an idea as some people think. You just choose not to read it or acknowledge it. And that is YOUR problem, not mine.

Finally, I don't have to "get used to" anything. If I don't like something, I can and will point it out. If I think there is something wrong, I can and will point it out. If you are insistent on blind loyalty towards everything Hakstol, that is your prerogative. But don't tell me what to "get used to". Again, if Hakstol is the greatest thing since sliced bread, let's give him a lifetime contract so we don't lose him. I don't think it's a good idea, but it seems like a lot of people on this forum think it is. And that is the mentality that I have a problem with.