SiouxSports.com Forum

Hakstol and his team

SIOUXELEVENS

Well played, sir.

Im recovering from hernia surgery so it was to be expected that typing on a tablet on vicodine wouldnt bode well for my grammar!

Hopefully your recovery is going smoothly...take care and rest up.

I thought we could all use a dose of humor and couldn't resist...

Frozen Four it is...with Darth Vader and the Evil Emperor in our way. Maybe this is how it is supposed to be? The demons of 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2012 all exorcised in back-to-back games next weekend? I can't wait to find out.

Truth be told I've bagged on Hak in the past based on his struggles in the Frozen Four. He's had the best team in the nation going into the FF and not gotten it done. National Titles define the most successful hockey programs and UND is one of them. Having a 14 year drought has made it all the worse for the fans and critics of Hak. In a one and done tourney a little bad luck or hot goalie can derail anyone though.

That being said, this year's team to get into the Frozen Four is an outstanding coaching job without question. It would be the best single season job ever by a coach at UND if he can get through MN and BC/Union to win it all with the talent he currently has. Not to mention as soon as Hak wins one I can see him going on a York/BC type roll. He needs a little puck luck and perfect his system and then every other team better watch out.

The thing I think about is if UND fired Hak would you want him in the NCHC? I surely wouldn't, since I could seen him making UND pay for many years to come. That is the ultimate nightmare.

Surprising fact: 100% of UNDs national championships started by making the frozen four... I believe that the stat is similar for other programs. We have a chance and that is all we can ask for.

I think this team is at or near its potential. I have to confess that I am still bothered by seeing a couple of people stop skating in the Miami game, but I have not seen it since. What can you say, 12 strait tournaments, pretty outstanding.

As it turns our Goldie can run but can't hide from the Fighting Sioux.

No matter the circumstance the pp needs to change. It sucks. It's hard to watch. I usually get the feeling that it provides momentum for the other team more times than not.

Our PP DOES suck. Much. Very frustrating to watch at times.

Now that said - I would've lost a bundle of cash in November if you would have bet me that we'd see this squad in the Frozen Four. I'll agree with those that said this is probably Hak's best coaching effort to date. I'd love to see two more wins, but probably won't bet the farm on that either.

Hopefully the men in green will continue to throw my skepticism back in my face. I'm starting to really enjoy it. Good job coaches, and good job team. Best of luck in Philly.

Like I have said before...... Are we measuring our success now on getting to the frozen four or winning the whole thing?

Hak won his first F4 game and hasn't won one since.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud what he has accomplished this season, but he needs to figure out how to win at the end of the year! Saying that, I believe his team has exceeded most fans expectations this year. It's when he has had the superior talent that frustrates us (Hak critics) when he doesn't get it done.

I am not saying fire the guy, but he needs to be held to accountable for the success of the program. The question is how does Sioux hockey measure success?

Aside from winning a national title and hanging the ultimate banner, Hakstol has had an incredible run in his ten years behind the bench. In this thread, we discussed what the other measures of a successful season are. The unofficial results had these accomplishments as the top five:

Winning the Penrose Cup (and formerly, the MacNaughton Cup) is the second most important achievement, and the 15 white banners hanging at REA speak to that - they're the same size as the green banners on the other side. It's a battle every weekend, and to come out on top says a lot about the team's season as a whole. Plus, when was the last time that the league champion from the WCHA (and now, the NCHC) missed the NCAAs? Colorado College in 1994?

A Frozen Four appearance ranks highly for most of you. Can't win a national title if you're not one of the last four teams standing.

Winning the postseason tournament (insert as-yet-unnamed trophy name here/Broadmoor Trophy): not only is this more hardware, and the year gets listed on the wall inside the Ralph, but it also secures a bid to the NCAA tournament, which is why I think it ranks more highly for many of you. Also, most of us have been there to watch several of these since the WCHA Final Five was in St. Paul for so many years.

NCAA tournament appearance. It's nice to be there every year, and a streak of consecutive appearances is pretty impressive. The last time UND wasn't in the tournament field was in 2001-02.

National runner-up/2nd place finish: the game is on ESPN, and a green banner is just one victory away. Of course, the "kicked in the gut" feeling is never fun when the season comes up just short, but there's something about being one of the last two teams standing, especially if the game goes to overtime.

And after that, the following items were ranked in this order:

Producing a Hobey Baker Award winner

Making the NCHC Frozen Faceoff (formerly WCHA Final Five)

Advancing to the NCAA regional final (winning at least one game in the national tournament)

Securing home ice for the first round of the league playoffs

Winning at least 20 games in a season

And here's how Hak has fared in those categories (remember, he's in his 10th season)

#1: WCHA/NCHC regular season championships: 2 (2009, 2011)

#2: NCAA Frozen Fours: 6 (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2014)

#3: WCHA/NCHC playoff championships 4 (2006, 2010, 2011, 2012)

#4: NCAA tournament appearances: 10 consecutive seasons

#5: NCAA title game appearances: 1 (2005)

#6:Hobey Baker awards: 1 (Ryan Duncan, 2007)

#7: WCHA Final Five/NCHC Frozen Faceoff appearances: 10 consecutive seasons

#8: NCAA regional final appearances: 8 (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)

#9: WCHA/NCHC first round home ice series: 10 consecutive seasons

#10: 20 win seasons: 10 (combined record of 260-132-40, .648)

I'll say a little about Hak, and a lot about this year's team.

I do not want any other coach to lead my favorite team. I'm a Hak lover.

This year's squad is intriguing. No real standouts, but one heck of a team. I really dislike Rocco. From my perspective, he's a diver/embellisher, has poor body language/attitude when things don't go his way, and is not living up to his perceived potential. Personally, I hope he signs a professional contract after this year. I don't think he'll ever stick in the National, maybe I'll eat crow with that statement one day. I really love Connor Gaarder. Underdog stories are always the best. Gaarder plays Sioux hockey, an honest game with hard work being the main theme. To see him get that game winner against Ferris was so enjoyable, I must've watched that gif Goon posted 50 times. I can't decide how I feel about Schmaltz, he's an enigma to me. He can look like the best player on the ice, and sometimes in the same game, he looks like a defensive liability who is too casual with the puck in his own end. And he often looks slow on his feet. Simpson reminds me of Dan Girardi, I wonder to myself if he'll shot block his way to a top pairing one day. I hope so, I like his attitude. How about Zane? I think he'll sign a pro contract this year, regardless of the outcome at the Frozen Four. I hope I'm wrong, but it would be a gamble for him to think his stock could rise any higher than it currently is. I know we're looking at a bright future with our youth and recruits, but the NCHC has so much parody. Either way his performance on Saturday is one I won't soon forget. Feel like I should mention another forward... Caggiula plays hard, bit of a hothead, but overall I like what he brings. Seems like he's on the verge of a breakout in a lot of games. Hope he can string together two memorable games in a week and a half.

The stars have aligned for us to seek revenge on some of our biggest rivals. If this team beats Soder then BC for #8, I could die a happy man.

Also, I'm fully aware that I'm just some dbag coaching from my couch. Go Sioux LET'S F'N GO SIOUX!!!

I'll say a little about Hak, and a lot about this year's team.

I do not want any other coach to lead my favorite team. I'm a Hak lover.

This year's squad is intriguing. No real standouts, but one heck of a team. I really dislike Rocco. From my perspective, he's a diver/embellisher, has poor body language/attitude when things don't go his way, and is not living up to his perceived potential. Personally, I hope he signs a professional contract after this year. I don't think he'll ever stick in the National, maybe I'll eat crow with that statement one day. I really love Connor Gaarder. Underdog stories are always the best. Gaarder plays Sioux hockey, an honest game with hard work being the main theme. To see him get that game winner against Ferris was so enjoyable, I must've watched that gif Goon posted 50 times. I can't decide how I feel about Schmaltz, he's an enigma to me. He can look like the best player on the ice, and sometimes in the same game, he looks like a defensive liability who is too casual with the puck in his own end. And he often looks slow on his feet. Simpson reminds me of Dan Girardi, I wonder to myself if he'll shot block his way to a top pairing one day. I hope so, I like his attitude. How about Zane? I think he'll sign a pro contract this year, regardless of the outcome at the Frozen Four. I hope I'm wrong, but it would be a gamble for him to think his stock could rise any higher than it currently is. I know we're looking at a bright future with our youth and recruits, but the NCHC has so much parody. Either way his performance on Saturday is one I won't soon forget. Feel like I should mention another forward... Caggiula plays hard, bit of a hothead, but overall I like what he brings. Seems like he's on the verge of a breakout in a lot of games. Hope he can string together two memorable games in a week and a half.

The stars have aligned for us to seek revenge on some of our biggest rivals. If this team beats Soder then BC for #8, I could die a happy man.

Also, I'm fully aware that I'm just some dbag coaching from my couch. Go Sioux LET'S F'N GO SIOUX!!!

I'd be very, very surprised if that actually happened and I think he will be here for the next two seasons. He is drafted which makes a big difference for a goalie in whether they sign early or not, playing for the Sioux was always his dream, and its not like Boston has a lack of quality goaltending and I'm pretty sure they are happy with the way he is developing here.

I'd be very, very surprised if that actually happened and I think he will be here for the next two seasons. He is drafted which makes a big difference for a goalie in whether they sign early or not, playing for the Sioux was always his dream, and its not like Boston has a lack of quality goaltending and I'm pretty sure they are happy with the way he is developing here.

I think UND is safe. Goalies develop slower and "usually" hit their prime when they get older. Zane is a Boston Bruins Draft Choice, they have Tuuka Rask and Chad Johnson in Boston, They have Subban's brother Malcom (sp) waiting in the wings. I honestly don't see Zane going anywhere this season. I am not sure there's room for him currently in Boston Bruins system either. The Bruins also have Niklas Svedberg as well.

Edited by Goon

I really dislike Rocco. From my perspective, he's a diver/embellisher, has poor body language/attitude when things don't go his way, and is not living up to his perceived potential.

Rocco is in a tough position. He came in with a lot of hype, then suffered terrible knee injury which caused him to lose a full year of playing time and experience, and also hampered him for a while last year. His style of play did not fully translate to the college game, and his linemates were not accustomed to seeing passes come out of places and at times they did not expect. He makes ill advised passes. I too think he has not lived up to the level that I anticipated when he came to UND. He also gets frustrated when things do not go his way.

However, I also feel that he has progressed tremendously this year. His motor is now at a pretty high compete level almost 100% of the time. He has learned somewhat that his passes need to be tempered to the situation and to his linemates, although he still does make some ill-advised passes. His speed has absolutely changed games and how opponents play. His speed has caused opponents to take penalties (the UND power play is another separate issue) He has become adept at stripping the puck and anticipating passes. He still has a lot of improvement to go (especially in his shooting) and I think he will make even further strides next year. Luke Johnson has shown that he has the potential to become a Ryan Duncan type sniper and to be able to play with Rocco. They could make a dynamic combo next year. At this point I would prefer that he hang around, as I think he will continue to adjust and improve. It seems like he has been here a long time, but this is just his second year of skating at UND.

• Upvote 2

How about Zane? I think he'll sign a pro contract this year, regardless of the outcome at the Frozen Four. I hope I'm wrong, but it would be a gamble for him to think his stock could rise any higher than it currently is.

School is very important to Zane. I've had this same worry as you, but, due to him having been on the Force and my wife working in his field of study, we've had a number of conversations with him about school, and I think he really wants that diploma.

Zane is a Boston Bruins Draft Choice, they have Tuuka Rask and Chad Johnson in Boston, They Subban's brother Malcom (sp). I honestly don't see Zane going anywhere this season. I am not sure there's room for him currently in Boston.

What these guys said ^^^

I hadn't considered that. Good call SiouxScore and Goon.

Hey that GIF of the Connor Gaarder was cool...One of my favorite ones this season. I'd love to see one of the game winning National Championship one as well.

And here we are, back at the essential question that has been hashed and rehashed over and over again: Are NCAA titles important at all? And if they are, how important? Old Time Hockey made some very fair points and (as usual) gets blasted for it. ??? Mid-major programs (Bemidji State, RIT) are probably satisfied with "just getting there". But we are NOT a mid-major program and I will never accept a label like that. Ever.

I am as excited as anyone else for this team and what they have accomplished this season. But the lack of success at the Frozen Four is a valid topic for discussion. This might be the year this whole topic gets buried for good, but we'll just have to wait and see what happens. We can't expect Gothberg to do what he did last night all the time; the whole team will have to play better if we are going to get two wins in Philly. And then we can table this whole discussion, which I will be grateful for.

Amen man. Amen. Most of these guys will NEVER get what you wrote here.

I couldn't agree with you more. Of course, some guys on here will take that as we should go up to Hak and TELL him how badly we want him fired...lol.

Again, couldn't agree more with you, but some will never ever ever ever understand this reasoning. At the end of the day, you're just a "hater".

• Upvote 1