SiouxSports.com Forum

Hakstol and his team

SIOUXELEVENS

Wow am I in a time warp or something? Cause in my world the frozen four is two weeks away and you people are acting like und has already lost. Did I think this team would make it this far this year? No I didn't but I am happy and can't wait to see how this shakes out. And yes I will have a crushed soul IF they don't win it all.

Anyone else thinking that it helps to have Karl Goehring in there coaching the goalies?

Karl is such an intelligent guy. The Hakstol show did a little segment of him watching game film with the goaltenders, and it was refreshing to see him not so much directly coaching the goalies on direct methods, but having constructive dialogue with them. He let them give their take of what was going on, of what they were trying to do on certain plays, etc. I know that what they show on TV is the positive stuff, but it creates a good relationship between coach and player.

Went to a camp as a kid with Bill Howard as a coach....my God....his way or the highway. I compliment all Wisconsin goaltenders who played under him, and had the mental toughness to get through it. Guy would completely break you down.

Karl did play for Dean Blais for four years....so I'll go ahead and give him a compliment for playing for a guy that probably goes out of his way to run over a goalie on his way to work. :lol:

• Upvote 2

Anyone else thinking that it helps to have Karl Goehring in there coaching the goalies?

Absolutely. I loved reading the 'File it Away' story on CHN from last night's game. It's one thing for a goalie coach to teach actual logistics. But it's clear from that story that Karl really helps them tackle the mental battle as well.

I hate be to the Debbie downer

but we do have talent

we ha 15 draft picks

I hate when people say we don't gottalent

sure we don't havethe usual talntthat und has

but we dohave mor talnt thenmost teams

14 draft picks...Tambo left.

UND had 14-15 NHL drafted players vs zero for Ferris. Players get drafted for their potential and players get recruited for their potential. So, both Hak and his staff plus a bunch of NHL scouts singled out UND players as having better/more potential than Ferris players. I think it is a valid argument that UND should win this game. Or, both UND and the NHL need to change up their staff that does recruiting. Or, UND isn't developing their players. I do buy into the argument that Ferris had older more experienced players. Either way, great regional and Let's beat the rodents.

And here we are, back at the essential question that has been hashed and rehashed over and over again: Are NCAA titles important at all? And if they are, how important? Old Time Hockey made some very fair points and (as usual) gets blasted for it. ??? Mid-major programs (Bemidji State, RIT) are probably satisfied with "just getting there". But we are NOT a mid-major program and I will never accept a label like that. Ever.

I am as excited as anyone else for this team and what they have accomplished this season. But the lack of success at the Frozen Four is a valid topic for discussion. This might be the year this whole topic gets buried for good, but we'll just have to wait and see what happens. We can't expect Gothberg to do what he did last night all the time; the whole team will have to play better if we are going to get two wins in Philly. And then we can table this whole discussion, which I will be grateful for.

With this year's team I am just happy we made it. You are correct though that at some point you have to look at a coach's body of work and what is the ultimate goal. Hak does field good teams though year in and year out....that product fills the Ralph and makes the school money. I had the time today to watch BC for the first time this year...man they are good. I was writing before that they reminded me of some of our old teams. We'll need a little puck luck in Philly however if our underclassman stay next year they should be very good. Hopefully we'll win out on more of those top recruits BC and MN seem to be getting lately.

If you think Bemidji, RIT or any other team is "satisfied with just getting there" then I would disagree. Athletes at this level want to play the best competition they can and they play to win. They just like BC, Michigan, Minny, Wisconsin and UND are not satisfied with just being there. No matter what the outcome, when it is over they are all proud of the fact they got there. That is different than being "satisfied with just getting there". The moment teams disrespect teams such as Bemidji, RIT Quinipiac, etc by thinking they are "mid majors" is the moment you wonder why they beat you. Hakstol is an excellent coach. That is why hockey commentators keep stating that. That is why the immortal Jerry York and the others college coaches respect him and what he has done. He has maintained the excellence and tradition year after year. Championships are important but certainly not the most important criteria when judging a coach. You think when UCLA was winning title after title Wooden was the only great coach? You think Auerbach was the only great pro bb coach for 10 yrs? His teams are in a position to win it all every year he has been a head coach. I also disagree we can't "expect Gothberg to do what he did last night all of the time". Yes we can, he can be that good. Hakstol expects him to be that good. Hakstol expects Gaarder to be that good. That is why they are playing. If you don't have high expectations then you won't win.same as those expectations that Haks teams will win a title every year. Quit fussing about the crap you have no control over and respect what these kids and coaches have accomplished so far. Lets get to Philly and win #8.

You are making my argument for me. Wooden and Auerbach got it done when it counted and when they had the talent to get it done and simply performed above and beyond what everyone else did. That is why they are remembered and the other "great" coaches of their time are not. The margin of error between good and great is very thin indeed. People remember championships; they don't remember runner-up teams, they don't remember woulda-coulda-shoulda's, they don't remember regular season successes. Based on your logic, the Minnesota Vikings are the Team of the 1970's and the Buffalo Bills are the Team of the 1990's because of "just being there". But that just isn't how it works. You just choose not to see it, which is your prerogative.

And if you think getting outshot 2 to 1 in March and April isn't a recipe for a butt-kicking, then you are deluding yourself. Gothberg played great on Saturday, but every goaltender has ups and downs and cannot be expected to be that good all the time. If he was just a little bit off yesterday, we lose by 2+ goals. The team will have to play better in front of him on April 10th or I don't think we make it to the title game on April 12th. Minnesota is going to be much tougher to shut down, so we better have some offense on the other end.

And finally, don't ever tell me to "quit fussing" or be quiet or shut up or whatever. I don't tell anybody else on here what to say and how to say it, so please don't go there with me. I am just as loyal of a fan of this team (and all our other teams) as anyone else; I just refuse to wear green-shaded glasses and drink green Kool-Aid all the time. But if that makes you feel better, by all means do so.

Goodnight and good luck!

With this year's team I am just happy we made it. You are correct though that at some point you have to look at a coach's body of work and what is the ultimate goal. Hak does field good teams though year in and year out....that product fills the Ralph and makes the school money. I had the time today to watch BC for the first time this year...man they are good. I was writing before that they reminded me of some of our old teams. We'll need a little puck luck in Philly however if our underclassman stay next year they should be very good. Hopefully we'll win out on more of those top recruits BC and MN seem to be getting lately.

Speaking of attendance, I noticed more empty seats in REA during the regular season and the first round of the playoffs than I remember seeing. I think some people are losing patience with Hakstol and his "baseline systems". And your comment about Boston College and how they are similar to our old teams is spot on. I have made that argument myself on here.....but no one wants to acknowledge it or believe it. And if we indeed ARE losing kids to Don Lucia and Jerry York, it might be because of Hakstol's strict, inflexible defensive systems and his traditional refusal to be flexible when it is appropriate. Hockey is a close-knit community and some of the more offensively gifted kids might not want to be handcuffed in that type of system, so they pick a different school. Another problem is recruiting kids that are very talented, but also being pursued by CHL teams that will stoop to any level to get them to leave NCAA hockey. Then we have to bring in kids that are just not as talented and we struggle at times because of that. I think an adjustment in recruiting strategy might be warranted here.

I do think Hakstol has definitely loosened up this year and I think that is good for his team. I also think he is making some changes in recruiting strategy. The next couple of years will tell us if it's working or not. Next year's team should have loads of experience from this playoff run and should get off to a better start than they did this year.

Speaking of attendance, I noticed more empty seats in REA during the regular season and the first round of the playoffs than I remember seeing. I think some people are losing patience with Hakstol and his "baseline systems". And your comment about Boston College and how they are similar to our old teams is spot on. I have made that argument myself on here.....but no one wants to acknowledge it or believe it. And if we indeed ARE losing kids to Don Lucia and Jerry York, it might be because of Hakstol's strict, inflexible defensive systems and his traditional refusal to be flexible when it is appropriate. Hockey is a close-knit community and some of the more offensively gifted kids might not want to be handcuffed in that type of system, so they pick a different school. Another problem is recruiting kids that are very talented, but also being pursued by CHL teams that will stoop to any level to get them to leave NCAA hockey. Then we have to bring in kids that are just not as talented and we struggle at times because of that. I think an adjustment in recruiting strategy might be warranted here.

I do think Hakstol has definitely loosened up this year and I think that is good for his team. I also think he is making some changes in recruiting strategy. The next couple of years will tell us if it's working or not. Next year's team should have loads of experience from this playoff run and should get off to a better start than they did this year.

...or they had a spring break vacation planned :) I was there though and I live in the TC. It was pretty dead that weekend though our box was empty too. Spring Break had a ton to do with it.

• Upvote 1

Guys... we made the Frozen Four, why so heated? Our season and national title hopes are still kickin, enjoy it! As Rubio says "change your face, be happy"

I think everyone that bleeds green and white is happy. But that won't make all the old debates on this forum magically go away. And that is how it should be; a discussion forum is for debate and give and take.

I think everyone that bleeds green and white is happy. But that won't make all the old debates on this forum magically go away. And that is how it should be; a discussion forum is for debate and give and take.

The ones where we rehash the last 10 years even though we made the frozen four 24 hours ago? Yippee ???

You are making my argument for me. Wooden and Auerbach got it done when it counted and when they had the talent to get it done and simply performed above and beyond what everyone else did. That is why they are remembered and the other "great" coaches of their time are not.

Ahh, yes, the good old days of Red Auerbach, the eight straight NBA titles from '59-'66. You forgot to mention that the NBA consisted of EIGHT teams during that time period. Eight. John Wooden's teams were playing in tournaments consisting of 20-30 teams, a far cry from the 68 we see today.

Both of these men were incredible coaches - among the best in any sport in any era. But you have to use a little perspective when comparing coaches and championships won in the 1950's and 1960's to today...and that includes college hockey.

You talk a big game about give and take! I think you just like to hear yourself talk!