SiouxSports.com Forum

Hakstol and his team

SIOUXELEVENS

Hakstol has continuesly lead us to quit a few frozen fours and regional appearances. Unlike with the football team who had no life at all at the end of this past season, the hockey team continues to turn seasons around and that is why we are in no need for a new coach this year or next year . I feel as though a coach can only do so much, after that it is up to the players. Win or lose yesterday we made the tournament and beat Wisconson. That alone shows we are still in good hands. Multiple years in the tournament is better then a single championship followed by a drought.

My buddy said while we were watching the game yesterday "if they lose this game I'm putting it on the players, not the coaches". He was right, because while this team really didn't play well for long stretches, it's not the coaches who can't teach them how to make or catch a pass, etc. Last night wasn't systems or motivation (clearly the team worked hard and sold out as much as they could) but they just COULD NOT execute for the majority of the game. That's on the players.

Is it just me or is a complaint of someone's frozen four record really pathetic?

Nothing like, this guy is a great coach, he has been to the frozen four 6 times! But rather, this guy doesn't have my vote because his frozen four record is 1-5!

Wow, all I can say is wow!

How many teams would love to have said they made it there, ever!

And here we are, back at the essential question that has been hashed and rehashed over and over again: Are NCAA titles important at all? And if they are, how important? Old Time Hockey made some very fair points and (as usual) gets blasted for it. ??? Mid-major programs (Bemidji State, RIT) are probably satisfied with "just getting there". But we are NOT a mid-major program and I will never accept a label like that. Ever.

I am as excited as anyone else for this team and what they have accomplished this season. But the lack of success at the Frozen Four is a valid topic for discussion. This might be the year this whole topic gets buried for good, but we'll just have to wait and see what happens. We can't expect Gothberg to do what he did last night all the time; the whole team will have to play better if we are going to get two wins in Philly. And then we can table this whole discussion, which I will be grateful for.

Is it just me or is a complaint of someone's frozen four record really pathetic?

Nothing like, this guy is a great coach, he has been to the frozen four 6 times! But rather, this guy doesn't have my vote because his frozen four record is 1-5!

Wow, all I can say is wow!

How many teams would love to have said they made it there, ever!

Like I have said before...... Are we measuring our success now on getting to the frozen four or winning the whole thing?

Hak won his first F4 game and hasn't won one since.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud what he has accomplished this season, but he needs to figure out how to win at the end of the year! Saying that, I believe his team has exceeded most fans expectations this year. It's when he has had the superior talent that frustrates us (Hak critics) when he doesn't get it done.

I am not saying fire the guy, but he needs to be held to accountable for the success of the program. The question is how does Sioux hockey measure success?

• Upvote 2

I am not saying fire the guy, but he needs to be held to accountable for the success of the program. The question is how does Sioux hockey measure success?

That's true but not the whole question. The question, if you are dissatisfied with our failure to win a title, is why you think we have not won a title and whether there are coaches out there who you are reasonably sure can fix that "why." Most of what we hear is continued frustration that we haven't won a title since Hak came. I don't mean to criticize your comment Old Time, and I have no problem letting a coach go if it is evident he is not doing his job. Hak is paid very well and he understands that is paid that money to perform, the same standard he holds his players to. Recruited players don't see the ice if they are not producing under coach Hakstol, and I'm sure he would be the first to say he should be held to the same standard. But merely venting our frustration that we have not won a title under him only identifies the frustration, not the solution. The loudest vices asking for his firing go on and on about what Sioux fans are entitled to and say practically nothing about what, precisely, they feel he is doing wrong, if anything. Other than not winning the big one.

But hey, today is a good day. Our team is headed to the frozen four. We all want success for these kids. To us, it is entertainment, but to them it is much much more. As with most of you, I feel very fortunate to be a Sioux fan.

• Upvote 1

I expect it's more important to the coaches and players than even any of us fans. I've enjoyed all the runs his teams have made, and I'm damn sure he owes me absolutely NO accountability.

I hate be to the Debbie downer

but we do have talent

we ha 15 draft picks

I hate when people say we don't gottalent

sure we don't havethe usual talntthat und has

but we dohave mor talnt thenmost teams

No matter how you slice it this team lacks top end talent at forward outside of Gemaldies.

Like I have said before...... Are we measuring our success now on getting to the frozen four or winning the whole thing?

Hak won his first F4 game and hasn't won one since.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud what he has accomplished this season, but he needs to figure out how to win at the end of the year! Saying that, I believe his team has exceeded most fans expectations this year. It's when he has had the superior talent that frustrates us (Hak critics) when he doesn't get it done.

So humor me, they play on the 10th, they win 1-0 against St Cloud.

They play on the 12th and lose 0-6 against Mass-lowel. Or 0-1 if either matters to you?

You are the AD, what choice do you make?

With that choice, who do you bring in?

These announcers all weekend talked about parity in college hockey, showed graphs on how lower seeds have been part of the winning at the end of the year!

But that don't matter to the almighty Sioux school! They build teams to win it every year, doesn't matter that the trend shows the years of super strong teams is over, everyone is a contender doesn't fly here! For this campus nothing matters, we shall win the big one and that is final!

Good luck with that!

imo the top end talent is at d, which will become even more apparent in the future

I definitely agree with this. For all the crap everyone gives Berry about the collasal failure of our power play, the improvement and growth of the D under his coaching has been incredibly apparent.

So humor me, they play on the 10th, they win 1-0 against St Cloud.

They play on the 12th and lose 0-6 against Mass-lowel. Or 0-1 if either matters to you?

You are the AD, what choice do you make?

With that choice, who do you bring in?

These announcers all weekend talked about parity in college hockey, showed graphs on how lower seeds have been part of the winning at the end of the year!

But that don't matter to the almighty Sioux school! They build teams to win it every year, doesn't matter that the trend shows the years of super strong teams is over, everyone is a contender doesn't fly here! For this campus nothing matters, we shall win the big one and that is final!

Good luck with that!

We are playing with house money this year! If they get smoked next game they have already exceeded expectations. Hak has done a great job this year! People like you get bent out of shape when fans question his ability to finish a season with teams loaded with talent. I am not a hater, I just am not blinded by green colored glasses!

• Upvote 2

We are playing with house money this year! If they get smoked next game they have already exceeded expectations. Hak has done a great job this year! People like you get bent out of shape when fans question his ability to finish a season with teams loaded with talent. I am not a hater, I just am not blinded by green colored glasses!

I'm blinded by green glasses and your oblivious to the word parity!

imo the top end talent is at d, which will become even more apparent in the future

This is spot on. With the d-corps and Zane, we will be tough to score on in the next couple years. We will need to be better balanced up front. This years top line should be at best second line talent. Next year we should be better. Hopefully someone makes the jump like Frattin did the last half of his junior year and senior year.

Mass-lowell might show you how oblivious you and York are?

Look like the makings of a nail biter here.

Definitely a nail biter! I had Lowell winning the whole thing this year. BC has won 3 in the last 6 yrs and have been to the championship in 5 of the last 8. Parity applies to everyone but BC over the last decade.

I have never understood all of the hatred towards Ham. At a certain point , coaches coach and players play. Making the Frozen Four six of of ten is amazing. He gets them there and the boys need to perform. The senior yr for the Pony Express was an unreal team and they didn't get it done and somehow Ham gets the blame. He always manages to get the team playing very well by yes end and this year is probably his best job ever. This team lacks the typical top tier talent and yes gotten them to buy into the system and play as a team. I'm in the group of anything from here is just icing. I don't think anyone saw the 4-7-2 team having a shot at the NCAA title

And here we are, back at the essential question that has been hashed and rehashed over and over again: Are NCAA titles important at all? And if they are, how important? Old Time Hockey made some very fair points and (as usual) gets blasted for it. ??? Mid-major programs (Bemidji State, RIT) are probably satisfied with "just getting there". But we are NOT a mid-major program and I will never accept a label like that. Ever.

Y

I am as excited as anyone else for this team and what they have accomplished this season. But the lack of success at the Frozen Four is a valid topic for discussion. This might be the year this whole topic gets buried for good, but we'll just have to wait and see what happens. We can't expect Gothberg to do what he did last night all the time; the whole team will have to play better if we are going to get two wins in Philly. And then we can table this whole discussion, which I will be grateful for.

If you think Bemidji, RIT or any other team is "satisfied with just getting there" then I would disagree. Athletes at this level want to play the best competition they can and they play to win. They just like BC, Michigan, Minny, Wisconsin and UND are not satisfied with just being there. No matter what the outcome, when it is over they are all proud of the fact they got there. That is different than being "satisfied with just getting there". The moment teams disrespect teams such as Bemidji, RIT Quinipiac, etc by thinking they are "mid majors" is the moment you wonder why they beat you. Hakstol is an excellent coach. That is why hockey commentators keep stating that. That is why the immortal Jerry York and the others college coaches respect him and what he has done. He has maintained the excellence and tradition year after year. Championships are important but certainly not the most important criteria when judging a coach. You think when UCLA was winning title after title Wooden was the only great coach? You think Auerbach was the only great pro bb coach for 10 yrs? His teams are in a position to win it all every year he has been a head coach. I also disagree we can't "expect Gothberg to do what he did last night all of the time". Yes we can, he can be that good. Hakstol expects him to be that good. Hakstol expects Gaarder to be that good. That is why they are playing. If you don't have high expectations then you won't win.same as those expectations that Haks teams will win a title every year. Quit fussing about the crap you have no control over and respect what these kids and coaches have accomplished so far. Lets get to Philly and win #8.

• Upvote 1