SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs. MIAMI OH - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

Brandon Bochenski was a sniper, but mostly he just put pucks on net. True scorers have a kind of confidence that the puck will go in and don't try to water bottle every shot. There are many nice players on this Sioux team but not an elite goal scorer among them, and that is important this time of year.

Fortunately, the door is not closed yet.

Boards were terrible, bounces off the boards were terrible, ice was terrible. All of that does not lend to play dump, chase, cycle. That leads to dump, chase, lose the zone.

Again as many have stated...you see any adjustments to counter act any of those factors you mentioned above??

Didn't think so...............

Again as many have stated...you see any adjustments to counter act any of those factors you mentioned above??

Didn't think so...............

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't defending the team or coach. That was all piss poor. Just wondering why the conference tournament has to be played under conditions that terrible. Just a bad product.

One of the reasons for our situation(IMHO) is fan pressure. These young men are exposed to a ton of pressure with all the social media that fans utilize. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't missing an open net considered a result of gripping the stick too hard as they say. The fancy rink, all the NHL connections, press conferences, social media may be too much for the average or slightly above average college player. Elite player (Toews, Oshie, Parise) relish that spotlight and pressure. The CHL has basically took our high end players that we needed to hit the net and forced the role players into that role. Just my thoughts on this sickening morning.

One of the reasons for our situation(IMHO) is fan pressure. These young men are exposed to a ton of pressure with all the social media that fans utilize. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't missing an open net considered a result of gripping the stick too hard as they say. The fancy rink, all the NHL connections, press conferences, social media may be too much for the average or slightly above average college player. Elite player (Toews, Oshie, Parise) relish that spotlight and pressure. The CHL has basically took our high end players that we needed to hit the net and forced the role players into that role. Just my thoughts on this sickening morning.

They don't pay that much attention to it...once the puck drops its just a kids game

Starman's comments on the middle of the rink are spot on.

The system is built to prevent mistakes and not allow the opponent to get chances. It is not built to score.

It amazes me that we've had the scoring we've had before- I guess that NHL talent will always score

They don't pay that much attention to it...once the puck drops its just a kids game

So no players have twitter accounts, or are on facebook. No players get asked for autographs as a freshman. No players walk into the Ralph and go wow I better bring it every moment that I'm here. No players don't see the Stanley Cup wall at the Ralph and think how they need to excel to play at this level. I am not a great hockey mind, but I thought in 2011, players tried to do it themselves too much and I think that is what the empty net misses(well not totally empty) are stemming from. They need to relax and play it like a kid's game. The "sea of green" makes them want to try harder than they ever have...

One of the reasons for our situation(IMHO) is fan pressure. These young men are exposed to a ton of pressure with all the social media that fans utilize. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't missing an open net considered a result of gripping the stick too hard as they say. The fancy rink, all the NHL connections, press conferences, social media may be too much for the average or slightly above average college player.

Wow!! Enabling comments there.

Then go play at Bemidji, Vermont or Mankato.

We're having a meltdown in this thread. I get that. If a Sioux hockey fan cares at all about a game, he cares way too much. Fan = fanatic.

I've been supporting Sioux hockey for a long time and like every one of you (trolls excepted), I want this team to win. Win it all. I believe that day is coming and it will be sweet, like a soaking rain at the end of a long, dusty drought.

I don't know much about the mechanics or strategies of hockey. I know that the team with the most goals wins and, all too often, in the biggest games, that hasn't be us. I can call an offside (in my opinion better than some ARs) but I'm still mystified by some "no icing" calls. To my untrained brain, "the D pinches in back door" sounds like a directive that belongs on a much different site than this one, if you take my meaning. So, I'm not as hockey savvy as many posters here. I'm still learning.

But if I have no expertise in hockey--and I don't--I like to think that my 62 years on this planet have given me some insight into human nature. Some of us expect way more from others than we do from ourselves. When we're disappointed or frustrated, some are angry, look for someone to blame. Not saying that's wrong, just human. Others just get over it , and move on. Others let their disappointment turn to hurt. I'm in this last category: I have to feel the way I feel until I feel differently. Takes a long time, depending on the size of the disappointment and how far my lofty expectations have fallen.

The odds are long for this team to make the Shiverin' 16. If it doesn't happen, it'll be a very long 6 months before the season begins again. I love this team. I want them to get that 8th national championship. It'll happen. But until it does, what else am I going to do but wait and hope and cheer? If you're going through hell, keep going.

P.S. If this post is too Pollyanna for your tastes, blame Mafia. He's late picking me up for the Hoggsbreath brunch and I didn't have anything else to do until the Western Michigan game. Let's go Sioux.

This team's effort can't be faulted in my opinion. missing the finisher, the clutch player, the clutch goal...... Owned Miami in the latter portion of the first and most of the 2nd. woulda coulda shoulda.....came up with nothing to show for it and that was the game. it's a little bleak and making the tourney is going to take some luck, something UND fans haven't experienced for a while. That being said, the future is bright with developing defensemen and hopefully an influx of scoring touch up front. The team has grown and improved since the beginning of the season and are on the up, imo.

Right with you on this.

"Fan pressure" is the root of this program's ills. Your words not mine.

Give me a break.

One of many roots: game strategy, lack of adaptation, CHL fishing from the same pool, curse of the Ralph,

but on my defense, surely you have noticed the way the internet has turn adults into childish, embarrassing, butt heads

Dave Starman commented on that last night also that ND had to get off the walls and get to the center of the ice.

That's why BC consistently has their way with Hakstol teams: BC plays down the center swath (between the dots); UND plays outside the dots.

We're having a meltdown in this thread. I get that. If a Sioux hockey fan cares at all about a game, he cares way too much. Fan = fanatic.

I've been supporting Sioux hockey for a long time and like every one of you (trolls excepted), I want this team to win. Win it all. I believe that day is coming and it will be sweet, like a soaking rain at the end of a long, dusty drought.

I don't know much about the mechanics or strategies of hockey. I know that the team with the most goals wins and, all too often, in the biggest games, that hasn't be us. I can call an offside (in my opinion better than some ARs) but I'm still mystified by some "no icing" calls. To my untrained brain, "the D pinches in back door" sounds like a directive that belongs on a much different site than this one, if you take my meaning. So, I'm not as hockey savvy as many posters here. I'm still learning.

But if I have no expertise in hockey--and I don't--I like to think that my 62 years on this planet have given me some insight into human nature. Some of us expect way more from others than we do from ourselves. When we're disappointed or frustrated, some are angry, look for someone to blame. Not saying that's wrong, just human. Others just get over it , and move on. Others let their disappointment turn to hurt. I'm in this last category: I have to feel the way I feel until I feel differently. Takes a long time, depending on the size of the disappointment and how far my lofty expectations have fallen.

The odds are long for this team to make the Shiverin' 16. If it doesn't happen, it'll be a very long 6 months before the season begins again. I love this team. I want them to get that 8th national championship. It'll happen. But until it does, what else am I going to do but wait and hope and cheer? If you're going through hell, keep going.

P.S. If this post is too Pollyanna for your tastes, blame Mafia. He's late picking me up for the Hoggsbreath brunch and I didn't have anything else to do until the Western Michigan game. Let's go Sioux.

Wise words. Tell Mafia he owes you a cold one.

I'd feel a whole lot better about this if I felt Hak and company would spend the off season assessing things and making changes where needed. However, I'm sure that regardless of what talent we bring in we will spend the first half of the season sleepwalking and continue to chip the puck along the boards. Endless dump, chase, and cycle. If that doesn't work, we'll do it some more.

Gotta disagree. Yale last year, Duluth in 2011, MSU whenever they last won (2006?), Wisconsin's last win. None of them were the best team in the country over the course of the season but got in the tourney and won 4 games. We can too! Just get in and see what happens.

respectfuly disagree. yale last year, maybe. however they were a top 10 team all year long and just tailed off at the end. MSU, yes. duluth and Wisconsin were two of the better teams in the nation the those years. wisconsin was ranked number for the majority of the year until elliot got hurt in practice in late january that year and had a little slump for a few weeks and the gophers over took them. they still ended up as the number one or two overall seed entering the ncaa's that season. duluth was a top five team for most of the season and hit a slump in late feb. had they won a game or two at the final five they could have been a one seed that season.

everyone brings up yale from last year and how they snuck in, and that could be a blue print for sucess or duluth losing the first day at the final five and then going on to win it all. or denver losing in the first round of the wcha playoffs and going on to win it. who knows maybe miami will win it all and then the blue print will be to tank the regular season and just go on a playoff run.