SiouxSports.com Forum

Some Predictions for 2002-03

jk

Some miscellaneous predictions for 2002-03:

1.  The Sioux will be Top 4 in the WCHA regular season.

2.  UND will play in the Final Five.

3.  UND will win at least one NCAA tournament game, perhaps at REA.

4.  UND will have nine players score 10 goals (1997:10, 98:8, 99:9, 00:8, 01:7, 02:3), but none score more than 25.

5.  David Hale, Schneider and Greene will all serve one-game fighting suspensions.

6.  Parise will average 1 PPG ... after Christmas, less before that.

7.  Genoway will be within 10 points of Parise.

8.  Notermann will hit less than 10 goalposts, which is about half of what he hit last year.

Probably overly optimistic, but I'm just a fan and that's my job.  Feel free to chime in with your own.

Fournier - will have a much better season pointwise.  Probably will be second line center.

Genoway - hard to tell how good he is.  4th line center?

Parise - Sioux fans being careful not to expect too much, but sounds talented enough to play first line center.  Perhaps Blais will "promote" him mid-season.

Marvin = Fuher;  Greene = Schneider.  Blais is recruiting a very specific type of defensemen lately.  Hopefully, they will clog up the d-zone and block shots, etc.  Offensive skills will be learned with time.

Fylling - most underestimated returning player.  Until the recent awards and praise from the USHL fans and coaches, many Sioux fans didn't even think he would play regularly.  Probably will be a regular third or fourth line forward and score decent points as a soph.

Okay, since it's the offseason ...

1.  David Hale will actually play up to his potential when he was drafted as "the second coming of Scott Stevens."  Lots of physical play, combined with some budding offensive talent.

2.  Siembida will be the Number 1 goalie by November, with Sedevie Number 2.  Both will helped by better play upfront.

3.  Parise will have a tough start, but settle into his game as other teams focus on him, and end up having a solid frosh year.  This should free up others on his line, given his propensity to pass the puck off.  No point predictions, but he'll definitely be a help.

4.  Matt Greene and Andy Schneider will beat up Minnesota.  Not the team, but the entire state, while I head off to Cancun for a week.  ;)  

5.  Genoway will be a very pleasant surprise and probably be on the 1 or 2 line with McMahon.

6.  Eric Fabian will have more points than PIMs, by agressively working people into the boards, and getting physical like Landon Wilson, but without that degree of talent yet. :)

7.  Bochenski's skating will come closer to catching up to his shooting skills, making him even more dangerous.

8.  Massen and Canady will both improve their production, and actually use their bodies to their advantage.

9.  The Sioux will finish in the top-5 of the WCHA and spoil at least one team's tourney.  ;)

10.  Ryan Hale will wear the "C" at some point next season, and definitely assert himself on the ice, like his brother.

That is all.  ;)

Top 4 scorers next year:

Lundbohm

Bochenski

Fournier

Parise

alternate = R. Hale

Most Improved Forward:

R. Hale

Alternate = McMahon

Fylling could win this but wasn't with team last year

Top Scoring Dman:

Schneider

Alternate = Fuher

Best All-Around Dman:

Jones

Alternate = Schneider

Most Improved Dman:

Leinweber - logs a regular shift at Marvin's expense

Alternate = Fuher

Goalie Order:

Predictions?

Bayda will not be the only person to leave the league (I said league) early this summer.

That's enough for now. :)

Ok Sica,

You got my attention. Any guess on who? My guess is that he wears number 22.

DQ's for next year:

Schneider - fighting

McMahon - fighting

Canady - stick or boarding infraction

Wild Card = Greene

I PREDICT that UND defensive core is going to be a bunch of guys that can rip teh opponets head off, and pound the offensive players. Screw finese. Just give us one that can get the puck into the offensive zone. IN defense of Hale he really got better as the season went along.

Goon, you make an very interesting point.

When Blais looks at beating MN, which is probably the team over the next 2-4 years that needs to be beaten, how are you going to do it?  Outscore them?  (Well, obviously, yes).  Or play better defense than they do?

Rather than get into a run and gun scenario with a team that I feel is made up of a bunch of thoroughbreds, maybe you line up some big draft horses on the blue line to make those finesse players think twice about coming into the zone.

So instead of trying to find more and better offensive defensemen to try and outscore them, you get really solid defensive defensemen, guys that are really physical and will hit.  Maybe when the enemy comes into your zone they are not quite as sharp as they normally would be then...

Just a supposition.

DAGIES,

If you watch the Boston Bruins and their defense I think this is what Blais is going to try to accomplish next season and into the future. The current defense man are good sized and have the temperment of being rough and tumble. Ala David Hale and Andy Schnider. I personally would like too see the defense core of UND get big so we stack them up on the blue line and in front of the net, make the oppostion fear coming in front of our net. I believe this will counter act the speed the opponets will try to through at us. Michigan has played this type of defense with much sucess...

I don't know about you guys but I miss number 8 back there intimidating the opposition and making them think twice about cheaping one of our smaller goaltenders.