SiouxSports.com Forum

Round 1: UND vs. Sacramento State

UNDsportsFANATIC

I would like to hear an explanation from the officials or the Big Sky on why that was not an intentional foul against Schuler at the end of the game. It is my understanding that the rule was put in place for just that type of situation, to avoid an injury to a player. In this case, the complete advantage went to the fouling team. One of our best free throw shooters isn't able to continue and the opposing coach gets to pick who shoots the free throws. Plus, the officials put extra time on the clock.

The non-call in this case, encourages teams to continue the practice.

I would like to hear an explanation from the officials or the Big Sky on why that was not an intentional foul against Schuler at the end of the game. It is my understanding that the rule was put in place for just that type of situation, to avoid an injury to a player. In this case, the complete advantage went to the fouling team. One of our best free throw shooters isn't able to continue and the opposing coach gets to pick who shoots the free throws. Plus, the officials put extra time on the clock.

How dumb was there coach to pick Aaron Anderson to shoot foul shots? I would have gone with Huff. I know percentages are close but Anderson has been clutch at the line his whole career.

I agree with everything except the bolded. I believe that is an NBA rule, no way Sac St picked Anderson to be the one to shoot free throws.

I agree with everything except the bolded. I believe that is an NBA rule, no way Sac St picked Anderson to be the one to shoot free throws.

I thought the announcers clarified that the coach gets to pick somebody currently ON THE FLOOR to shoot the free throws, not somebody off the bench? Maybe they were wrong on that too.

I thought the announcers clarified that the coach gets to pick somebody currently ON THE FLOOR to shoot the free throws, not somebody off the bench? Maybe they were wrong on that too.

I stand corrected, looks like they changed it a few years back. Sac St's coach was able to choose from any of the 4 remaining players on the court. Anyone know exactly who it was? Schuler, Huff, Anderson, Hooker and Stefan/Antwi?

I stand corrected, looks like they changed it a few years back. Sac St's coach was able to choose from any of the 4 remaining players on the court. Anyone know exactly who it was? Schuler, Huff, Anderson, Hooker and Stefan/Antwi?

Not sure if it is different in a dead ball situation but it would be pretty crazy for the other coach to be able to dictate who substitutes into the game.

Cannot remember but the last guy I would pick is Anderson.

Here is the actual wording of the rule from the NCAA rulebook Section 6.Article 3.F:

f. When an injured player is unable to attempt his free throw try(s), the coach from the opposing team shall select one of the four remaining players on the playing court to attempt the free throw try(s). When the foul is flagrant or the player is bleeding and the injured player is unable to attempt the free throw try(s), the injured player’s coach shall select any player or team member to attempt the free throw try(s).

Stefan has to up his game if Schuler is out. He does a lot of the same things Schuler does and is able to do some of them better but he will also force a shot or two at times. At least he is shooting now. Took him half the year to get comfortable putting up his shot. He is the guy who will get extra minutes with Schuler out.

Stefan has to up his game if Schuler is out. He does a lot of the same things Schuler does and is able to do some of them better but he will also force a shot or two at times. At least he is shooting now. Took him half the year to get comfortable putting up his shot. He is the guy who will get extra minutes with Schuler out.

I think Stefan has been shooting better but I think Schuler plays better defense and does more of the little things. Him and everyone else are going to need to step it up to make up for Schuler's absence.

I think Stefan has been shooting better but I think Schuler plays better defense and does more of the little things. Him and everyone else are going to need to step it up to make up for Schuler's absence.

Agree Schuler does all the little things that most people dont realize. If he played with more unselfish players in his career he would have put up huge numbers but it is what it is. Hope he is able to play. If not then Stefen and Antwi will need huge games.

I actually agree with that.

But we were all told that was the way the game was going to be officiated this season. That new "emphasis" sure did fall off as the season went on.

On the flip side, I'd argue that NDSU doesn't have the athletes to draw the calls that we did in that game.

If I remember correctly NDSU was at the line more than UND until late in the game when NDSU started with the intentional fouls.

We beat NDSU by 20 because they played terrible and Braun tried to be a one man show. It was not an indication that we were that much better. Play them 10 times and that's the only result of that nature.

Because they played horrible? So you're sticking up for NDSU? C'mon ...we beat them fair and square. In Fargo, we would've lost by 20 ourselves.

Need to play our best game of the season to beat Weber.