SiouxSports.com Forum

MN High School Hockey Tourney

hrkac

OK...I started a bleep storm so let me see if I can add some more fuel to the fire.

Yes public schools recruit. Much bigger issue in the cities. For MafiaMan (we used to hang out at Sensor's) Kennedy is now single A. Difference is that to be able to play at public you have to move to the district or sit out a year. I don't think the same holds for a private school. Also it always looks better offering a free education that costs around $20,000 a year. On a side note DeVillers told me in ND a family actually divorced so a girl could play basketball at a different town without officially moving. So the problem is everywhere.

Warroad...yes any time a Marvin is coming through they recruit. Check bantam records. They don't go to state and yet always contend in high school. Same for girls. Lots of job offers and store offers get thrown around. In the late 90s the whole section 8 was ready to forfeit every game against them and the state had to step in. They also get plenty of Canadian "foreign exchange" students. that conveniently play hockey.

What else came up...oh the seeds. EGF has much better QRF than Hermantown, but Hermantown has had some better comparative scores. However, EGF was missing Bowen for over half the season and he is there best play maker. IIRC they both beat St. Cloud Cathedral and Totino Grace (did they win tonight?). I think Totino or New Prague gets the 3 with other the 4 and St. Cloud Cathedral the 5.

Loverne plays nobody and it's always proven when that section makes state. Personally the A bracket may be the tightest it's been in years. BTW EGF played very poorly against Warroad and still pulled off a win in that section championship.

Now I remember the last thing. The previous Warroad coach was brought up. I don't remember what I heard on him moving, but Warroad was making money on him. He has like 6 kids and as someone posted it was probably about 13 thousand per kid that Warroad got. EGF actually gets the least in the northwest for some reason. TRF gets more per kid and has a bigger population.

Recruiting is bad in Minnesota. I think what ticks public school backers off is the fact that private schools can openly recruit whatever player they'd like no circumstances attached. And what ticks private school backers off is being called the only recruiters in a very corrupt system.

I'd personally like to see a private school section in AA hockey. Imagine that section tournament......

Never happen though.....

Personally they should all be in the same section at the highest classification...or go back to having their own state tourney.

Here's a strange one for you, because no one every accuses them of recruiting and they shouldn't. Sacred Heart in EGF isn't sports powerhouse and yet their girls basketball team is very good this year (though weak schedule). However I think most of their players are actually living in GF. Now a little different because GF doesn't have a catholic high school but I can see where other MN schools would have a gripe.

And how about that Achiever Academy. I'm not sure how long they've been around, but they ended up having to forfeit section championship in girls hockey and have "kicked off" like 5 boys players to be eligible. One of the girls team members is from GF. They are located out of the Cities, but I read they didn't even have a building until month or two ago. It's a online high school where the kids play hockey all day. That is definition of a midget team and yet they get to play high school hockey.

Cue Stillwater and Centennial...

Stillwater made it an all public school AA tourney with the win last night.

My guess on seeds that should be out later this morning, to me the 5 seeds in both classes are really kind of toss ups.

A-1.EGF 2.Hermantown 3.St.Cloud Cathedral 4.Totino Grace 5.Orono

AA-1.Lakeville North 2.Edina 3.Duluth East 4.Eden Prairie 5.Eagan

Class A seeds are out:

Wed

#2 Hermantown vs. Luverne-11:00

#3 New Prague vs. Chisago Lakes-1:00

#1 East Grand Forks vs. Orono-6:00

#4 St.Cloud Cathedral vs. #5 Totino-Grace-8:00

Really need to seed all 8 teams imo. EGF gets a tougher team then they should have in the first round because only the top 5 are seeded. Think New Prague is the real winner today as they are lucky to be the #3 and I thin both SCC and TG are better teams and SCC beat them head to head and have played tougher schedules and then New Prague is lucky enough to get probably the worst team in the tournament in the 1st round in Chisago Lakes.

AA seeds are out:

Thu

#2 Lakeville North vs. Roseau-11:00

#3 Eden Prairie vs. Centennial-1:00

#1 Edina vs. Stillwater-6:00

#4 Duluth East vs. #5 Eagan-8:00

This one almost looks more like it was actually seeded 1-8 and only arguments I could see is North being #1 and Edina #2 although I think Edina is the better team and East being #3 and Eden Prairie #4 as East beat them head to head.

Predictions?

Go Roseau!

Edina may be the best team I've seen, although Wayzata was right on that same level too, and probably has the most talent and should probably be the favorite but they don't always play to their potential. Eden Prairie has a couple pretty good players but depth could be a question. Lakeville North has been a surprise to me and has beat some real good teams throughout the year and they have 3 brothers who have all committed to SCSU that are pretty good and a nice Freshman goalie. I think the East and Eagan came could be the best of any 1st round matchup in either class. I'm hoping for Roseau and the Sioux recruit Yon to pull off an upset and make a run but if I had to guess on a champions I would go with Edina.

Anybody know if Midco is showing these games on some hidden channel? I think I remember watching it last year, but can't remember where they showed it. Will never forget the Hermantown coach going NUCLEAR on the officials after his team got jobbed against STA.

Anybody know if Midco is showing these games on some hidden channel? I think I remember watching it last year, but can't remember where they showed it. Will never forget the Hermantown coach going NUCLEAR on the officials after his team got jobbed against STA.

Boy, did they ever. How nice is it to not see STA in this year's tournament? Cake-eaters.

When did they change it to seeding the top 5? I thought it was top 4, then the matchups were random draw.

Also, is the tournament a week earlier than normal? I thought it always lined up being the week before the first round the WCHA conference tournament.

When did they change it to seeding the top 5? I thought it was top 4, then the matchups were random draw.

Also, is the tournament a week earlier than normal? I thought it always lined up being the week before the first round the WCHA conference tournament.

Not sure if the tournament is earlier than normal but maybe. They went to top 5 a couple years ago and they really need to just go ahead and seed all 8.

Luverne is hanging tough with Hermantown.

Even though Luverne lost 6-3 I was surprised with the level of play from them as it was much better than previous teams from that section. They definitely have some skilled guys, the 8th grader looks like he has a real nice future.

Chisago Lakes is really struggling against New Prague who got a fortunate matchup. Chisago Lakes is fortunate to be here coming out of a weak section. Not sure what is up with their jerseys but they are horrible, not really sure what the logo on the front is supposed to be.

Even though Luverne lost 6-3 I was surprised with the level of play from them as it was much better than previous teams from that section. They definitely have some skilled guys, the 8th grader looks like he has a real nice future.

Chisago Lakes is really struggling against New Prague who got a fortunate matchup. Chisago Lakes is fortunate to be here coming out of a weak section. Not sure what is up with their jerseys but they are horrible, not really sure what the logo on the front is supposed to be.

Is it this?

0161b5300909e6ec33bd32867eaa186b.gif?sc_id=36920