SiouxSports.com Forum

What's it going to take to hang #8?

yababy8

I'm feeling the need to start a new thread in the hopes of having something good to read as an alternative to the fire hak-keep hak threads that seem to be the only mid-week threads which have been getting activity recently.

I'm not against fire the coach debates, it's just that it seems like the wrong time to be so focused on that now. If it was either the off-season or this year was in the tank-sure, but when we are bidding for first place in our conference, in the middle of a really impressive winning streak and in the top 14 in the nation having 'fire the coach' as the only choice for good reading on here is kind of lame. So I'll take it upon myself to remedy it. :-)

There are so many things worthy of discussion going on with this years team. I've kept no secrets about the promise I see in this team. We have a bunch of guys showing really impressive play lately.

Here are a couple of discussion topics that come to my mind:

The make-up of our defensive core is unique in a few different ways. Our offense is driven in many ways by our blue liners.

Our forwards are all developing very well. You could throw out quite a few names in a discussion about impressive development.

...So what does this team need to do to win it all. We are all gunning for #8 right? This is how I see it..

My three keys to a championship

1. Goal tending. Gothberg is the man. He needs to make a decision that he is not going to be scored on no matter what. He can get there but what does he need to get him there. Maybe Prpich should come back to town and give him a beat-down marine style and build him back up with an edge?? Hey it's a thought what can I say..

2. Ok here is a cliche, Play with a fast pace, smart, creative, aggressive and attacking style all of the time. Chips, give and go's, forechecking, 360 spin-o-Rama's, all of it. This team is impressive pretty much all of the time when they are playing this way. When they sit back they struggle. Therefore this team should NEVER move into any kind of prevent style no matter how ahead they get in a game. Hak always talks about how the team needs to be playing on their toes and not their heels. This has never been more true than this years team. This is where some emotion is needed. I think Hak lacks the emotional offering to the team sometimes. Maybe Purp can pay him a visit too. How bout that alleged Brooks speech he gave his team back in 1980. Do you think Hak would say the "f" word?? I digress..

3. Obtain possession in the offensive zone. Grimaldi and Mark Mac do well in the breakaway realm, as do Parks and Cags but this is not the nuts and bolts of our offensive capability. As I mentioned before, this offense is driven by its defensemen. Once we gain the zone we are good. It's getting there that the coaches and players need to perfect. We saw what can happen when we fail at this during the Sat game against Omaha.

I have to offer a bonus key; When to pinch? One of the key components of our offense is pinching the defensemen up to keep the zone. We have been doing it well mostly. The challenge will be how to manage this when we play the best teams in the country in the tournament. i.e. BC and Minnesota. We haven't had to deal to much with getting burned. Omaha did it to us but that is about it. The problem is if we chose not to pinch against a great offensive team then we f-up #3 above and that would not be good. In other words the pinch is a part of what we need to accomplish #2 and #3. So what do we do? That is a tough one..

There you go. Some "stuff" to stimulate some stimulating discussion. Am I fired??

I'm feeling the need to start a new thread in the hopes of having something good to read as an alternative to the fire hak-keep hak threads that seem to be the only mid-week threads which have been getting activity recently.

I'm not against fire the coach debates, it's just that it seems like the wrong time to be so focused on that now. If it was either the off-season or this year was in the tank-sure, but when we are bidding for first place in our conference, in the middle of a really impressive winning streak and in the top 14 in the nation having 'fire the coach' as the only choice for good reading on here is kind of lame. So I'll take it upon myself to remedy it. :-)

There are so many things worthy of discussion going on with this years team. I've kept no secrets about the promise I see in this team. We have a bunch of guys showing really impressive play lately.

The make-up of our defensive core is unique in a few different ways. Our offense is driven in many ways by our blue liners.

Our forwards are all developing very well. You could throw out quite a few names in a discussion about impressive development.

...So what does this team need to do to win it all. We are all gunning for #8 right? This is how I see it..

1. Goal tending. Gothberg is the man. He needs to make a decision that he is not going to be scored on no matter what. He can get there but what does he need to get him there. Maybe Purpich should come back to town and give him a beat-down marine style and build him back up with an edge?? Hey it's a thought what can I say..

2. Ok here is a cliche, Play with a fast pace, smart, creative, aggressive and attacking style all of the time. Chips, give and go's, forechecking, 360 spin-o-Rama's, all of it. This team is impressive pretty much all of the time when they are playing this way. When they sit back they struggle. Therefore this team should NEVER move into any kind of prevent style no matter how ahead they get in a game. Hak always talks about how the team needs to be playing on their toes and not their heels. This has never been more true than this years team. This is where some emotion is needed. I think Hak lacks the emotional offering to the team sometimes. Maybe Purp can pay him a visit too. How bout that alleged Brooks speech he gave his team back in 1980. Do you think Hak would say the "f" word?? I digress..

3. Obtain possession in the offensive zone. Grimaldi and Mark Mac do well in the breakaway realm, as do Parks and Cags but this is not the nuts and bolts of our offensive capability. As I mentioned before, this offense is driven by its defensemen. Once we gain the zone we are good. It's getting there that the coaches and players need to perfect. We saw what can happen when we fail at this during the Sat game against Omaha.

I have to offer a bonus key; When to pinch? One of the key components of our offense is pinching the defensemen up to keep the zone. We have been doing it well mostly. The challenge will be how to manage this when we play the best teams in the country in the tournament. i.e. BC and Minnesota. We haven't had to deal to much with getting burned. Omaha did it to us but that is about it. The problem is if we chose not to pinch against a great offensive team then we f-up #3 above and that would not be good. In other words the pinch is a part of what we need to accomplish #2 and #3. So what do we do? That is a tough one..

There you go. Some "stuff" to stimulate some stimulating discussion. Am I fired??

who is purpich? :silly:

I'll buy into what Mafia has been peddling...luck!

There's a degree of luck, in it too. The Boston Bruins had some luck when they won the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Lost on a few bad breaks in the Championship last year. I think there's something to that.

the problem with doing that is players lay down on the ice now until a penalty is called after they get hit.

The game of college hockey is changing, you have to be able to skate, you can't blow teams out of the ice by pounding them into the boards. Too many of the big hits are being penalized, even when they're legal hits. Fast strike hockey and the speed game is the way to go now, not saying you won't see big hits, but that's not the focus anymore. Even the NHL is changing. Moving away from the bruising defenseman to the smaller fast skating guys.

The game of college hockey is changing, you have to be able to skate, you can't blow teams out of the ice by pounding them into the boards. Too many of the big hits are being penalized, even when they're legal hits. Fast strike hockey and the speed game is the way to go now, not saying you won't see big hits, but that's not the focus anymore.

That's why the D&C is a system to be played...not the only system. An example of your comments was UND this past Saturday...skating fast and playing with speed.

• Upvote 1

There's a degree of luck, in it too. The Boston Bruins had some luck when they won the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Lost on a few bad breaks in the Championship last year. I think there's something to that.

Yup, especially due to their PP always being so terrible. Their PK is world class though....thanks to PB and Chara.

1. Goal tending. Gothberg is the man. He needs to make a decision that he is not going to be scored on no matter what. He can get there but what does he need to get him there. Maybe Prpich should come back to town and give him a beat-down marine style and build him back up with an edge?? Hey it's a thought what can I say..

Good stuff, I agree, but too bad the haters followed you over to this thread!

He will never understand you here, but yes exactly.

That's because there are teams that are teaching their players to do that crap. This weekend, UND plays UMD and they have a few players that will flail all over the ice.

That's why the D&C is a system to be played...not the only system. An example of your comments was UND this past Saturday...skating fast and playing with speed.

It helped that Miami was standing around in their own zone like their skates were stuck in quicksand. ;)

• Upvote 1

Our defense is solid, with a couple mistakes a game that can result in 2 or 3 goals. We can live with that if we increase our offensive output.

Two keys from here on.

1. Passing. Far too many passes to a teammates skates and not to his stick. Poor passes kill a rush and can result in odd man rushes the other way. Need to stop that, now.

2. Powerplay. See #1 (passing) AND make them crisp. Find the open man on the far post and give him a one-timer.