SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

Wouldn't be shocked with DeBoer or Glenn Caruso either.

Yeah you're right, I'd say Deboer is definitely a legit mutual target.

However, I think Caruso is kind of a pipe dream for them.  They would love to have him, but I don't see him wanting to go back to Vermilion.  Again, just my educated guess here.

PhilySioux makes a good point on Jed Stugart as a viable option as well.

The Beschorner head-coach-in-training-thing maybe has changed since I had heard that a while back, who knows. (EDIT: Sounds like maybe it has changed)

Edited by UNDvince97-01

Is Dakota Miller our prized recruiting target at QB?  He's a bit smallish in stature but rated 3 star presumably for a reason. His Hudl show he can run and throw, and might be a good fit in Bubba's scheme.  He could red shirt and play backup in 2017 and be ready to go for '18. 

EDIT: I see he has an offer from NAU, too.  Miller might not want to back up Cooksus for as long as he'll be around in Flagstaff. 

I think Liam Bell is still available, he was out for a visit earlier this year.

Also I'm guessing Trent Pink is an option but I think he might be more of a POW, he has an offer from SE Missouri St.

I think Liam Bell is still available, he was out for a visit earlier this year.

Also I'm guessing Trent Pink is an option but I think he might be more of a POW, he has an offer from SE Missouri St.

I also like Isaac Lepke, but I believe he may go the track route (offer from Iowa I think for track).

*would it be wrong if Bubba and Co. pursued former USD and MSU recruits now that there are no coaches at those schools?

general thoughts -

We should go after anyone we want, until a recruit makes it clear that he is not interested one bit.  If we target MSU recruits, or any other Big Sky recruits, we should be sure to mention the stipend in a humble way.  With a 7-4 season, FBS win, a hungry and young team, a recruiting advantage with stipend $$, new practice facility, high-end academics, we should crush it recruiting wise.  Did I mention the stipend advantage.......

Does the stipend start from this point forward or is it retroactive to all scholarships??  UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU, and a school out east have it, correct?

Like SDSU protects the recruits south of them, we need to protect the Canadian kids north of us.

• Upvote 3

As long as a kid hasn't signed anything, they should be considered open game, especially when a coaching change happens.  The saying goes, "the player is committing to the program, not the coach."  But most of us know that is BS, in majority of cases.  If there is a kid that UND wants that verbally committed to USD or MSU, they should reach out to him and see if this alters his decision.  It gets bit murky when they have signed LOI, but it's not unprecedented to go back door and contact the recruit.  Then they just have to get released from LOI from that school, which isn't always the easiest, but it happens when there a coaching changes.

If a kid wasn't on the staff's radar already, then not sure a coaching change elsewhere should be the main thing to put them on there. However, if it was a player that staff already had interest in and a relationship with, don't see what the issue would be. Lot's of kids continue to get contacted after they verbally commit. 

Is it ethical to contact athletes who have committed to another school just because of a coaching change? Thinking back did that happen to UND when Mussman was fired? 

The only recruit Mussman had landed his final year was Dev Ferguson, if I remember correctly.  Ndsu went after him.

As long as a kid hasn't signed anything, they should be considered open game, especially when a coaching change happens.  The saying goes, "the player is committing to the program, not the coach."  But most of us know that is BS, in majority of cases.  If there is a kid that UND wants that verbally committed to USD or MSU, they should reach out to him and see if this alters his decision.  It gets bit murky when they have signed LOI, but it's not unprecedented to go back door and contact the recruit.  Then they just have to get released from LOI from that school, which isn't always the easiest, but it happens when there a coaching changes.

I agree we can recruit athletes who haven't signed elsewhere but I don't believe we can recruit kids who have already signed the LOI. Reaching out with a text tweet or whatever letting the kid know if the coaching change would affect their decision we would like to talk to them is a good way to do it but there is no reason not to go after kids who haven't signed unless they tell us no way.

Do we think that Jake Geier (Andover) will definitely be playing at LB (as listed on the wiki), or will have get a look at offense. I see he is listed on the MN AP-Allstate 2nd team as a WR. Toivenen is listed on the third team. Both are listed as around 6'2" - 6'3" and around 200 lbs, which would be a pretty nice size for freshman.

Anyone know if Toivenen could see playing time as a true freshman, or will he likely redshirt, given our current receiving corps is already adding Dulin and Blackwell into the mix, and possibly moving Smith?

Do we think that Jake Geier (Andover) will definitely be playing at LB (as listed on the wiki), or will have get a look at offense. I see he is listed on the MN AP-Allstate 2nd team as a WR. Toivenen is listed on the third team. Both are listed as around 6'2" - 6'3" and around 200 lbs, which would be a pretty nice size for freshman.

Anyone know if Toivenen could see playing time as a true freshman, or will he likely redshirt, given our current receiving corps is already adding Dulin and Blackwell into the mix, and possibly moving Smith?

I am not sure if he will red shirt or not.  At least one coach is high on him.  He said the kid can play.

Geier is an LB. I've never heard anything about him being a WR in college.