SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

it is somewhat about markets...but you guys are underestimating ACADEMICS...the reason UND (and Idaho) got into the Big Sky instead of the NDAC...

markets help but there is a reason why the Big 10 only takes AAU schools when they expand because they can band together for research money from congress which is why north carolina and or kansas and georgia tech will jump in a second when their Big 10 invites comes in then next year or two..

UND has a huge upside coming in next few years with our new Medical School, renovated Law School, maybe a new/reno business school and not to mention the unlimited growth in UAV and natural gas/oil exploration for the engineering school that would make us a little desirable compared to some schools/states are struggling to maintain...

not to mention the IPF, the ralph, the betty....

But UND has nothing to offer an FBS conference? :silly: What does academics have to do with the FBS. :lol:

it is somewhat about markets...but you guys are underestimating ACADEMICS...the reason UND (and Idaho) got into the Big Sky instead of the NDAC...

markets help but there is a reason why the Big 10 only takes AAU schools when they expand because they can band together for research money from congress which is why north carolina and or kansas and georgia tech will jump in a second when their Big 10 invites comes in then next year or two..

UND has a huge upside coming in next few years with our new Medical School, renovated Law School, maybe a new/reno business school and not to mention the unlimited growth in UAV and natural gas/oil exploration for the engineering school that would make us a little desirable compared to some schools/states are struggling to maintain...

not to mention the IPF, the ralph, the betty....

I don't think Nebraska is... Or was an AAU school.

I wouldn't use the Betty as a reason for growth. Very small.

• Upvote 1

I don't think Nebraska is... Or was an AAU school.

I wouldn't use the Betty as a reason for growth. Very small.

UND isn't looking to join the Big 12 or Big 10. How big an arena do you need?

http://totalbasketballstats.com/arenas.asp

And we have one of the nicest volleyball arenas in this area. NDSU plays in a middle school gym with a stage.

Congrats on having a similar academic profile to NDSU I guess. UND got into the Big Sky because the timing was right for them, it wasn't right when NDSU wanted to join.

That said it ended up working out better anyway I guess for NDSU.

TIMING???? if you are school that a conference wants the time is always right....and yes it worked out just fine for the NDAC ...the NCC 2.1 is working out just fine for them without UND beating up on them like the good old days of the NCC 2.0

• Upvote 2

TIMING? ??? if you are school that a conference wants the time is always right....and yes it worked out just fine for the NDAC ...the NCC 2.1 is working out just fine for them without UND beating up on them like the good old days of the NCC 2.0

The timing was better, the WAC was wanting to take schools and it gave the Montana schools leverage to get who they wanted.

Montana State tried everything possible to get NDSU into the league....PSU and Sac would have none of it.

The timing was better, the WAC was wanting to take schools and it gave the Montana schools leverage to get who they wanted.

Montana State tried everything possible to get NDSU into the league....PSU and Sac would have none of it.

Answer this...I heard the western schools of the BSC didn't want the SU's so they didn't vote them in, why did they want UND and USD? They already had enough schools with the Cali schools and SUU joining.

Timing? Try academics. UND is more like Montana and thats what Fullerton liked.

The WAC wanting to add Montana schools gave them leverage. When NDSU and SDSU were being discussed that threat didn't really exist, so the west coast schools could block.

Academically there little to no difference between NDSU and UND so I am not sure what point you are even trying to make. Academically NDSU is very similar to Montana State.

NDSU's research classification isn't? Both schools have their strengths.

To make this academic argument in regards to the Big Sky adding one over the other is laughable.

FBS conferences like FCS conferences look for academics as much as the athletic part of a school. And saying UND has nothing to offer an FBS conference is just ignorance with a capital FU on it. If the SB likes UND in all sports and in the classroom they can call to invite us, will it happen 99.9% change it won't, but if Fullerton can somehow work a whole conference invite thing then I am sure UND will be willing to go.

I never said anything about UND's academics holding them back.

What would be holding UND back in FBS would be market, facility and budget. NDSU would have similar issues.

Going FBS in a bare bones manner is $5 million a year added to the athletics budget. That is a big chunk of new money to come up with every year and and to be competitive you would probably want that number to be closer to $10 million.

I never said anything about UND's academics holding them back.

What would be holding UND back in FBS would be market, facility and budget. NDSU would have similar issues.

Going FBS in a bare bones manner is $5 million a year added to the athletics budget. That is a big chunk of new money to come up with every year and and to be competitive you would probably want that number to be closer to $10 million.

Thats why I can't see UND going FBS until there is a split in the FBS with the Super 5 and Fullerton's conference plan thrown into action. And with more money for more scholarships you need more sports and becareful of Title IX so it can't be all men's sports. Going alone especially up here where we are far away from an FBS conference (we can get into) is almost impossible.

But I thought Montana State hated NDSU??? Oh wait...they are scared of them. My mistake. :)

All I could find on Idaho law is that you can use anything found in an open records request With exception to creating mailing our phone lists.... So... Unless you can give us a reason to think otherwise... Ill continue to think you are lying.

That's fine. Bisonville hates me with a passion, so its nothing new. I also been a liar to them, even though what I say comes true.

It was all just a diabolical plot to wipe out the Bison fan base with strokes, as they are so hot-headed. :whistling:

Why did the MVC and Patty Viverito try to merge with the WAC when it was down to NMSU, Denver, and Idaho? Idaho was supposedly told to get lost, so the Vandals blocked the merger The MVC lost the game, set, and match, and got frozen out of FBS action for the MVFC. :lol: Hence, Mo St has to leave to go FBS.

That's fine. Bisonville hates me with a passion, so its nothing new. I also been a liar to them, even though what I say comes true.

It was all just a diabolical plot to wipe out the Bison fan base with strokes, as they are so hot-headed. :whistling:

Can you show us Idaho law that says you cannot show the information on the web? Multiple sites say that you can use the information for whatever you want other than phone and mailing list.

FBS conferences like FCS conferences look for academics as much as the athletic part of a school. And saying UND has nothing to offer an FBS conference is just ignorance with a capital FU on it. If the SB likes UND in all sports and in the classroom they can call to invite us, will it happen 99.9% change it won't, but if Fullerton can somehow work a whole conference invite thing then I am sure UND will be willing to go.

Harvard, Yale, Columbia, etc. must spend an awful lot of time shunning the advances of the BCS conferences. With their academics, I'm sure they could get into any conference they would like.

TIMING? ??? if you are school that a conference wants the time is always right....and yes it worked out just fine for the NDAC ...the NCC 2.1 is working out just fine for them without UND beating up on them like the good old days of the NCC 2.0

How is that rivalry with MSU and Montana going for you guys? I see you had all of 1,600 and 2,000 fans for those men's BB games last week with your team fighting for the 2nd seed (possibly 1st seed and home court) in the BSC. I guess the rivalry is really resonating with your fans.