SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

In another thread, I layed out how the Big Sky can obtain FBS status through Idaho and the Sun Belt. Naturally, bisonville went ballistic, so bison trolls are not welcome to comment. But would it be good for UND if the Big Sky went FBS?

An Big Sky FBS with:

Montana

Montana St

Idaho

E Wash

Portland St

Sac St

UC Davis

Cal Poly

UND

New Mexico St

Maybe Weber St or NAU

Idaho St, SUU, NC can stay FCS with San Diego and maybe Weber St and NAU

If UND went FBS, we need to at least qualify on an attendance basis during the transition. That wouldn't be so easy. Obviously, we'd need some facility improvements. The IPF helps, but a stadium with 17,000 is a must. Averaging 15,000 is possible with even a bad season, as the Foundation can buy up tickets at a 1/3rd of the price and it would count.

If went FBS, think we could get Minnesota in a 2 for 1. Maybe ever play the home game in the Vikings stadium. That would be a big money game in the Cities with a lot of exposure. Could schedule the MAC or Sun Belt teams in a home and home. Money games against Big Ten schools would no longer be verboten if we were FBS.

Recruiting, we could be the 2nd team after Minnesota and Wisconsin after the state schools there. NDSU and SDSU can't be FBS unless they join the Big Sky because no other conference wants them.

The Big Sky would need some bowl games. The Vikings stadium would be ideal: Big Sky vs MAC. If UND qualified, that could be 30,000 against NIU or Toledo. The Seahawks stadium would also be ideal for the Big Sky: could play MWC teams like Montana vs Wyoming or E Wash vs Boise St.

Its critical that UND football gets turned around if FBS is ever in the plans. To me, FCS just won't work for anybody but the bison. That's why school are scrambling to get out. There hasn't been a peep out of Montana, yet they have even said FCS is a losing proposition.

The best way to go fbs would be to take the top schools from each the Big Sky and MVFC, IMO.

MVFC schools have the option to join the MAC. Mo State might be doing it, and Ill St has wanted to.

The Big Sky would say no to MVFC schools unless they switched basketball allegiances.

A whole other conference has to go FBS to qualify for the $12 mill conference payout from the FBS playoffs. A loosely formed group doesn't get the money. UND would get $1 mill more in payouts, a share of whatever the conference gets from a TV contract, and a share of bowl payments. The FCS playoffs basically cost the schools participating unless these have huge attendance.

Does playing at a neutral site count in the average attendance? I heard that's what Eastern Michigan and MAC teams sometimes do.

Here's the MAC in 2012:

Ohio 21,844

Northern Illinois 20,877

Toledo 20,552

Kent State 17,880

Central Michigan 16,036

Bowling Green 15,632

Miami (OH) 15,333

------- below the unenforced line

Western Michigan 14,579

Buffalo 13,242

Ball State 12,930

Massachusetts 10,901

Akron 9,275

Eastern Michigan 3,923

Fullerton has often stated that the Big Sky doesn't look different from the profile of a conference like the MAC and Sun Belt. UND should be at the level of competition with a Ball St, Bowling Green, Kent St, W Michigan, and C Michigan. The cities those schools are in are not significantly more capable for hosting FBS than Grand Forks.

Here's the MACs bowl roster. Why can't the Big Sky have bowls in Minneapolis, Seattle, Denver, and maybe Sacramento? Partner with the MAC in Mnpls, MWC in Seattle, CUSA or American in Denver, and Pac12 in Sacramento.

MAC Primary Bowl Partners 2014-16:

2014 Bowl Season:

GoDaddy Bowl (Mobile, Ala.; vs. Sun Belt);

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (Boise, Ida.; vs. Mountain West);

Camellia Bowl (Montgomery, Ala.; vs. Sun Belt);

Boca Raton Bowl (Boca Raton, Fla.; vs. Conference USA);

Bahamas Bowl – (Nassau, Bahamas; vs. American Athletic).

2015 Bowl Season:

Boca Raton Bowl (Boca Raton, Fla.; vs. American Athletic);

Bahamas Bowl – (Nassau, Bahamas; vs. Conference USA).

2016 Bowl Season:

Bahamas Bowl – (Nassau, Bahamas; vs. American Athletic);

Bowl Game – TBA.

- See more at: http://www.mac-sport...h.TPozmd2o.dpuf

Also, I see no way that PSU could go FBS with their current financial issues they have.

PSU is insinuating that it is FBS or bust. PSU without football can go to the WAC or force the Big Sky to FBS. PSU has an FBS stadium. Montana doesn't want to stay FCS, and Montana State now has a stadium to go FBS. Sac St is ready. UC Davis, Cal Poly and UND need stadium expansions. Same with EWU: they will go bigger and one is planned. Imagine UC Davis if they can play Cal or UCLA at home or at a Bay Area pro stadium.

PSU needs games vs Oregon and OSU. It's easier to get those as FBS and its pays more. Portland will never get an NFL team, so PSU can fill a little of the void. Same with Sac St and Davis. Nobody ever talks about the Raiders moving to Sacramento. A's maybe, but not enough money in Sacramento with state workers to ever move an NFL team.

Not going to happen. We can't even get people to attend now, and with FBS we'd need to up our attendence massively. Let's just worry about being competitive in FCS first and not go off half cocked on some FBS dream. Coming up with money for another 22 scholarships isn't going to be easy to find either.

Not going to happen. We can't even get people to attend now, and with FBS we'd need to up our attendence massively

Really. Did you look at MAC attendance? Once you qualify for FBS, you don't have to worry.

Let's just worry about being competitive in FCS first and not go off half cocked on some FBS dream.

So Fullerton has gone off on a half cocked FBS dream?

Coming up with money for another 22 scholarships isn't going to be easy to find either.

It actually about 40 with Title IX. Synchronized skating. Chicks will flock to it.

Really. Did you look at MAC attendance? Once you qualify for FBS, you don't have to worry.

It actually about 40 with Title IX. Synchronized skating. Chicks will flock to it.

I hate to break it to you, but you don't speak for all UND fans, just so you know.

Add lacrosse and maybe women's field hockey. I would love to go FBS but I think we need to do some kind of damage in the BSC/FCS to not only up the attendance but up the fanbase. There are way more hockey only fans than UND sports fans if it was equal we would see close to record attendance at the Betty and Alerus but without winning kills that. Win first, then FBS later. Going now makes no sense, going after an FBS split with the Super 5 going one way and the FBS sucking up FCS teams then UND could get in. It's nice to dream about this but it won't happen anytime soon.

• Upvote 2

Add lacrosse and maybe women's field hockey. I would love to go FBS but I think we need to do some kind of damage in the BSC/FCS to not only up the attendance but up the fanbase. There are way more hockey only fans than UND sports fans if it was equal we would see close to record attendance at the Betty and Alerus but without winning kills that. Win first, then FBS later. Going now makes no sense, going after an FBS split with the Super 5 going one way and the FBS sucking up FCS teams then UND could get in. It's nice to dream about this but it won't happen anytime soon.

^^^^^^this

I don't see any point in getting fired up about a move until the FBS split is underway. If or when an opportunity to make a change presents itself, we'll be glad we're in a solid conference for all sports. Once Bubba gets the team winning again, the idea of expanding the Alerus may gain some traction.

• Upvote 1

I wince a little bit when I think about what attendance numbers would be for North Dakota football games if the fan base were aware that the ultimate goal for the program is to get berth to the Dandelion Bowl.

I wince a bit about the idea of UND going to FBS: the commitment and money and facilities are not easily put together. But as a school, what worries me more is that UND wouldn't have the commitment to FBS while the Big Sky does. Should UND back off and ask Douple for a spot because we're not up for the task? Idaho is committed to FBS. Montana has an FBS future planned, as FCS is not the financially prudent place to stay. It's an enormous commitment of resources and talent to get there. Will UND and the Grand Forks community have what it takes?

I wince a bit about the idea of UND going to FBS: the commitment and money and facilities are not easily put together. But as a school, what worries me more is that UND wouldn't have the commitment to FBS while the Big Sky does. Should UND back off and ask Douple for a spot because we're not up for the task? Idaho is committed to FBS. Montana has an FBS future planned, as FCS is not the financially prudent place to stay. It's an enormous commitment of resources and talent to get there. Will UND and the Grand Forks community have what it takes?

for someone who winces at the thought, you sure like to come up with schemes for UND to do it.