SiouxSports.com Forum

Blais good coach or terminator...

Goon

Dagies, My point is that the exodus of players from UND compared to the Goofs is not even close. Lucia has never cut a player that I am aware of since he was at CC to the present. Blais has, and my guess he will continue to do so. I do not think that is right. The school and player make a commitment and if that player turns out to be not good enough then it is the schools responsibility to stick with that player. The player did not talk the school into signing him and going to school for an education there. As a parent I would be concerned if UND was recruiting my son.UMD too. The word is out, and I would think it would hurt in some manner, recruiting.

Time after time this discussion comes up, ussually from fans of a certain program. Frankly I am sick of hearing about it, and I think its a bush league argument.    What do y'all think...

I'd have a problem with it if it wasn't working, but the results speak for themselves.  3 Championship games, 2 Championships in his short position as head coach, so it's obviously working.  Blais never guarantees them they'll be in the lineup for 4 yrs.  That's movitivation for the players to work hard every shift or else they'll have to sit (or cut), Bochenski learned that quick.

I think alot of Blais' rep comes from the fact that he welcomes walk-ons and doesn't like to carry dead wood (i.e. players who will see little ice time).  Because of this, alot of guys who start the year on the roster won't be there at year end.  Other programs don't have a problem carrying these guys - Blais suggests they go elsewhere.  

So I think you have to compare walk-ons who have been asked to leave vs. scholarship players.  If you look at who's left in the past couple years (Fylling not included), I think only Yurecko received $$ and my understanding is that he left on his own - due to lack of PT - and you certainly can't argue that Blais owes everybody playing time.  My understanding is that Ranfrantz, Sofie, Wright, Hirst, O'Leary, etc., all were walk-ons.

I would like to say that for me personally, it comes down to a question of what is right or wrong, regardless of whether you win or lose with your method.

If Blais is telling recruits that they have a ride and can take a spot on the roster for 4 years unless they break rules or flunk out, then it is wrong to cut them.

Thanks dagies for the breakdown/analysis - also props to Sica and Goon - all of you do a good job defending the program on this site and other sites (poi/uscho).   Like you've all said what this program is based on is effort.  If you give effort you stay - if you dog it, your days as a Ftg.Sx., whether it be playing time or time on the roster, are numbered.  Hockey isn't exclusive to this mind frame at UND - after a dissappointing end to this past women's basketball season it comes as no surprise to have heard that there are 4 openings on that team.  Because UND has had such success MOST of the U's fans are realistic enough to realize that success is cyclical - yes this past hockey season could be frustrating but it was only truly "tough" to watch when there was no effort!  (how many games do we have against Mankato next year?)

The only people who whine about Blais and the way he handles the roster are a few alleged Minnesota "fans" who think that the mere fact some player is recruited they are entitled to a full four-year ride regardless of how they do on or off the ice.

However, I don't know how Blais sells his recruits and am willing to believe his message to them is more along the lines of "You have a chance to play for one of the premier programs in all of college hockey, a good chance for a national championship.

Let's look at the people in question over the last several years once again:

Nice job of research dagies.  That's alot of players.

As aside, I'm guessing alot of the talk about Blais is going on over at the POI board.  I have alot of trouble accessing that site.  It seems I can get on maybe one day a week.  Anyone else have this problem?