SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 baseball

darell1976

Ron Gardenhire can not fathom such a thing.

Dr. James Andrews doesn't approve of it either, and neither do many medical experts that deal with young pitchers. http://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=32765

Dr. James Andrews, the orthopedic surgeon to many athletes and the man considered the go-to surgeon for the procedure, said April 12 in a interview with MLB Network Radio that kids competing all year in baseball is a leading cause to UCL injuries.

"We've researched it in our lab as well as our foundations in Birmingham and Pensacola, and the big risk factor is year-round baseball," Dr. Andrews said. "These kids are not just throwing year-round, they're competing year-round, and they don't have any time for recovery."

Andrews has found once a player becomes a teenager, he likely will finish his high school season and then begin play with a travel ball team, so his arm doesn't get a chance to recovery.

"Year-round baseball is the number one problem," Dr. Andrews said in terms of Tommy John risk factors. "Number two is playing in more than one league at the same time where rules don't count (presumably innings limits or pitch counts). In showcases for scouts, they try to overpitch and they get hurt."

ESPN baseball senior writer Keith Law, formerly a writer for Baseball Prospectus and an employee in the front office for the Toronto Blue Jays, has been critical of college coaches for abusing pitchers before they get a chance in professional baseball. Most recently, he was critical of North Carolina State's usage of Carlos Rodon, the projected No. 1 pick in the 2014 MLB draft.

In a start April 11 at Duke, Rodon returned to the mound for the eighth inning after having thrown 118 pitches.

"This was a clear example of a coaching staff putting their own interests over those of a pitcher, a perfect example of moral hazard at work in amateur baseball, one that calls for regulation by the NCAA," Law wrote in his blog for ESPN.com "The Wolfpack, despite having two of the best college players in the country this year, are 5-11 in the ACC (19-14 overall) and in danger of missing the NCAA tournament, a result that would be devastating given their talent level. The potential cost of missing the tournament is so high that the coaching staff has the incentive to try to win at all costs, including asking players to do things that may not be in their own best interests, such as throwing 134 pitches in one outing."

Law said later in the blog that only one MLB pitcher -- San Francisco Giants right-hander Tim Lincecum -- threw 134 pitches in an outing last season. Lincecum did that July 13 in a no-hitter.

A recent major study shows curveballs pose no greater risk than other pitches. In fact, many studies have shown that the greatest threat to young arms is throwing too many pitches.

"Science is banging heads with intuition and gut instinct," Glenn Fleisig, the research director of the American Sports Medicine Institute, told the New York Times in 2012. Fleisig has conducted studies on breaking balls and young arms since 1996.

"For years, we told people that curveballs were bad," Fleisig said. "Then we set out to prove it. We did not prove curveballs are safe, but we could not prove they were dangerous."

Andrews, who is the team surgeon for Auburn, Alabama, and several professional franchises, agrees with Fleisig's research in theory.

Nice story in the Herald today about UND's domination of NDSU. In Fargo they are saying head to head means nothing. They say all that matters is what happens at the end of the year. So I guess that means if they ever beat us again in a sport they won't be bragging about it at all. I guess we will see if it is a big deal to them if it ever happens. I am sure they won't even bring it up if they beat us.

Nice story in the Herald today about UND's domination of NDSU. In Fargo they are saying head to head means nothing. They say all that matters is what happens at the end of the year. So I guess that means if they ever beat us again in a sport they won't be bragging about it at all. I guess we will see if it is a big deal to them if it ever happens. I am sure they won't even bring it up if they beat us.

To quote Johnboy....."#dontmatter3peat"

When it was said on BV that losing to their archrival does hurt, the greatest Bison baseball player of all time (Lakes), said that "SDSU is their archrival". Sure Lakes run with that. :lol:

We're your gold standard and our gold standard is making the NCAA's and NC's. See the difference?

We're your gold standard and our gold standard is making the NCAA's and NC's. See the difference?

Just because UND's won in everything they've competed against NDSU this year doesn't mean the teams are satisfied. Pretty easy to dismiss head to head victories when you don't have any recent ones to hang your hat on.

Pretty sure it was legendary FU coach Rocky Hager who was the one that said a season was a failure if they lost to UND.

Just because UND's won in everything they've competed against NDSU this year doesn't mean the teams are satisfied. Pretty easy to dismiss head to head victories when you don't have any recent ones to hang your hat on.

Pretty sure it was legendary FU coach Rocky Hager who was the one that said a season was a failure if they lost to UND.

Well here's one thing for certain no Fargo sports writer would have written an article about NDSU on beating UND if the outcomes was different.

Well here's one thing for certain no Fargo sports writer would have written an article about NDSU on beating UND if the outcomes was different.

Dom Izzo did mention it on the news right after the baseball highlights the other night. His exact quote was that NDSU has not beaten UND in any head to head matchups this year. So you can't say for certain that it wouldn't have been brought up.

It was on Football America. "You could go 11-1 if the 1 is to those son of a guns north of us your season's not a success" -Rocky Hager

2:02

Glad you are able to prove your point with hypotheticals instead of actual proof.

Some (many?) (most??) NDSU fans seem to have a need to feel superior. This is not limited to UND but UND has a special place in their hearts. They can and will deny it. They can and do make all kinds of excuses. They can and will post all sorts of reasons why they don't care. They can and will post all sorts of reasons why UND going 5-0 against them doesn't bother them. They can and will post that they really weren't giving their best shot at beating UND. They can and will say that whenever they lose to UND that they played their worst game of the year. I find this all interesting and entertaining.

• Upvote 1

Some (many?) (most??) NDSU fans seem to have a need to feel superior. This is not limited to UND but UND has a special place in their hearts. They can and will deny it. They can and do make all kinds of excuses. They can and will post all sorts of reasons why they don't care. They can and will post all sorts of reasons why UND going 5-0 against them doesn't bother them. They can and will post that they really weren't giving their best shot at beating UND. They can and will say that whenever they lose to UND that they played their worst game of the year. I find this all interesting and entertaining.

I don't think there's a need to feel superior - it's more of all the BS we went through when we went DI. UND administrators, Herald Sports writers, fans (posters) all very publicly ridiculed the move and all said what a failure it would be. The failure has mostly been on your side as your transition wasn't the best, no big wins, FB and MBB very average or poor. Most of all the games with UND next year will be home games for us. In looking at your teams next year maybe VB will standout but I'd look for a very tough year. Oh there's always hockey.

I don't think there's a need to feel superior - it's more of all the BS we went through when we went DI. UND administrators, Herald Sports writers, fans (posters) all very publicly ridiculed the move and all said what a failure it would be. The failure has mostly been on your side as your transition wasn't the best, no big wins, FB and MBB very average or poor. Most of all the games with UND next year will be home games for us. In looking at your teams next year maybe VB will standout but I'd look for a very tough year. Oh there's always hockey.

Just wanted to make sure that bold part doesn't go anywhere in the coming year.

Bison fans are making light of that the fact that our baseball team lost both of our first 2 games in the series in Texas. They are basically implying how bad our baseball team is. It seems to me we just beat them last week. You wouldn't think they would be slamming the strength of our team when we just beat them. I guess we don't have a chance to beat them when we play them on Wednesday.