SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey Tournament

darell1976

Any thoughts on next years tournament...in Fargo? I think the kids are going to be disappointed, you have a chance to play in the finest college (if not all of hockey) hockey arena in the country only to be downgraded to Scheel's arena? That would be like the MN football playoffs going from the Metrodome (if it was there) to the football field of Moorhead State. Why not play it in the top stadium in the state. Football at the Fargodome, hockey at the REA, basketball (whichever city has the best facility), etc. I don't like the rotation.

I wouldn't say dominating, but from the couple tourneys I've seen my little cousin in, West Fargo and Minot have been quite good.

Uh no their not...In the bantam level the 2 GF teams are hands down the best....one of them is even 5 times better than the other. And that's with 5 bantams that played for Central this year. Add them to the list and it's terrible.

On the Pee Wee level you can add in a Fargo team and that's it...again no competition.

Personal opinion only but GF should make one AA team for bantam and pee wee and head to MN and leave the other A team to play in ND...now fire away : )

Uh no their not...In the bantam level the 2 GF teams are hands down the best....one of them is even 5 times better than the other. And that's with 5 bantams that played for Central this year. Add them to the list and it's terrible.

On the Pee Wee level you can add in a Fargo team and that's it...again no competition.

Personal opinion only but GF should make one AA team for bantam and pee wee and head to MN and leave the other A team to play in ND...now fire away : )

I'm not going to argue, I only know about how they (West Fargo and Minot) played in the few games I watched. They may have been the 'B' teams for all I know though.

The Grand Forks Bantam teams are dominant.

One of them is 20-1 with a goal differential of 143-27 and the other is 18-0 with a differential of 174-27....Bismarck has a team at 16-8 and Fargo has a team at 15-8 and the parochial program at 14-5 followed by Minot and then the other Fargo 'public" team.

The next level is a little more balanced with it being Grand Forks-1, Fargo-2, Grand Forks-3, Bismarck-4, and Fargo-5.

If anything THA could drive a bigger gap between the ND teams with the edge to Grand Forks.

The Grand Forks Bantam teams are dominant.

One of them is 20-1 with a goal differential of 143-27 and the other is 18-0 with a differential of 174-27....Bismarck has a team at 16-8 and Fargo has a team at 15-8 and the parochial program at 14-5 followed by Minot and then the other Fargo 'public" team.

The next level is a little more balanced with it being Grand Forks-1, Fargo-2, Grand Forks-3, Bismarck-4, and Fargo-5.

If anything THA could drive a bigger gap between the ND teams with the edge to Grand Forks.

Just wondering.

How many of those kids in Grand Forks go to schools *like* Shattuck...or into developmental junior league programs, thus bypassing HS hockey...as compared to kids from other parts of Nodak...Fargo, Bismarck, Minot?

I guess what I am wondering is...does GF hockey get depleted more from these kinds of programs than other towns/cities in Nodak?

Any thoughts on next years tournament...in Fargo? I think the kids are going to be disappointed, you have a chance to play in the finest college (if not all of hockey) hockey arena in the country only to be downgraded to Scheel's arena? That would be like the Sioux and the NCHC playoffs going from the Xcel Energy Center to Target Center.

Fixed your post.

Just wondering.

How many of those kids in Grand Forks go to schools *like* Shattuck...or into developmental junior league programs, thus bypassing HS hockey...as compared to kids from other parts of Nodak...Fargo, Bismarck, Minot?

I guess what I am wondering is...does GF hockey get depleted more from these kinds of programs than other towns/cities in Nodak?

I think Fargo has more kids than GF...at least 4 of the Davies or South kids are in Kansas City (think that's it) and another two are in Omaha..one on the major team and one on the minor team

GF has 3 from RR and 1 from Central.....this is just from memory but it gives you an idea. I don't know about Bismarck, Mandan, Minot Grafton Etc. Jade Miller could have gone to the USHL last year but chose to stay for his senior season.

I've followed some the youth levels and to see what those bantam teams are doing from Grand Forks is scary. Back when I played there was a North and a South Grand Forks in the youth levels. Guess I'm not sure why they got away from that? They played with the same group from 6th grade on up through high school. I guess the only time North and South kids played together was Stallions if they didn't make their respective high school teams.

In Fargo are they splitting up Davies and South kids on Bantam teams? How about the angels? Anybody got an idea if there is hope for a Shanley high school team again?

I think Fargo has more kids than GF...at least 4 of the Davies or South kids are in Kansas City (think that's it) and another two are in Omaha..one on the major team and one on the minor team

GF has 3 from RR and 1 from Central.....this is just from memory but it gives you an idea. I don't know about Bismarck, Mandan, Minot Grafton Etc. Jade Miller could have gone to the USHL last year but chose to stay for his senior season.

Thanks for the info. I was curious.

I've followed some the youth levels and to see what those bantam teams are doing from Grand Forks is scary. Back when I played there was a North and a South Grand Forks in the youth levels. Guess I'm not sure why they got away from that? They played with the same group from 6th grade on up through high school. I guess the only time North and South kids played together was Stallions if they didn't make their respective high school teams.

In Fargo are they splitting up Davies and South kids on Bantam teams? How about the angels? Anybody got an idea if there is hope for a Shanley high school team again?

Now imagine if the 5 kids from Central played Bantams this year....2 forwards and 3 D added to those two teams.

I don't think they split up the Fargo kids..put them all together for bantams. Not sure about Shanley getting a team. And If you want to even go further down the pipeline the Fargo Squirt A teams cancelled all their games against GF Squirt A teams this year.

I think with new high schools popping up you'll see some parity just about everywhere but Grand Forks. Minot getting a new high school is in the works, and I'm not sure when the new Bismarck one opens up. If those two both have hockey then you are splitting Minot, and you are taking a chunk out of BHS and Century.

Any Fargo people know if West Fargo's new school will have hockey?

I think with new high schools popping up you'll see some parity just about everywhere but Grand Forks. Minot getting a new high school is in the works, and I'm not sure when the new Bismarck one opens up. If those two both have hockey then you are splitting Minot, and you are taking a chunk out of BHS and Century.

Any Fargo people know if West Fargo's new school will have hockey?

For the time being, WF's new Sheyenne High School will not have hockey.