SiouxSports.com Forum

Top Stadium "Experiences" -

choyt3

I go to almost every CC home game and many DU home games. The World Arena isn't a bad place to watch a game but it certainly doesn't have the atmosphere of a home rink for a college hockey team. There's one small area in the concourse that has some historical CC pictures. As for the student section, it's pretty weak....especially when there are games over block break.

Magness arena is simply goofy looking. One side is big with many rows of seats while the other side probably only has ten rows of seats. I will say the atmosphere there is awesome when UND scores or wins. Hearing so many Sioux fans gives me chills.

I go to almost every CC home game and many DU home games. The World Arena isn't a bad place to watch a game but it certainly doesn't have the atmosphere of a home rink for a college hockey team. There's one small area in the concourse that has some historical CC pictures. As for the student section, it's pretty weak....especially when there are games over block break.

Magness arena is simply goofy looking. One side is big with many rows of seats while the other side probably only has ten rows of seats. I will say the atmosphere there is awesome when UND scores or wins. Hearing so many Sioux fans gives me chills.

Oh, and they really should've named it the Murray Armstrong Arena IMO.

I saw on USCHO that Ohio State got the "Comatose Award" from a visitor to one of their home hockey games. This just cannot be.....If anything hockey is the 2n......ummm 3r......shoot.

They know they play hockey at Ohio State right? Besides the players on the team?

I saw on USCHO that Ohio State got the "Comatose Award" from a visitor to one of their home hockey games. This just cannot be.....If anything hockey is the 2n......ummm 3r......shoot.

They know they play hockey at Ohio State right? Besides the players on the team?

I'm pretty sure most of the hockey players moonlight during the offseason as waterboys for the football team.

The rink reviewing team obviously did not make a stop at my back yard rink in Victoria, MN, which recently hosted a fierce one-on-one between me and my 11 yr old squirt. The sprawling 40' X 80' has a 26" inch drop, with about 32" of ice in the deep end. An overlooking deck provides premium viewing at 7 feet above ice level. The crowd, consisting of my wife and daughter, stood the entire 2mins, 14seconds, chanting vulgarities and viciously taunting the visiting team (me). It was an intense atmosphere. Lighting is provided by the dual combo of Husky and Workforce 1500W halogens. Food is OK, when she actually gets off her ass and cooks. Beer is always available, but you have to go get it yourself from the basement fridge. And, bring me one. After the period break, the ice crew (me) gets to work shoveling and then re-watering while the lazy kids, er, "home team" sit inside and enjoy hot chocolate.

Greatest rink ever.

taz

No escalator?

The rink reviewing team obviously did not make a stop at my back yard rink in Victoria, MN, which recently hosted a fierce one-on-one between me and my 11 yr old squirt. The sprawling 40' X 80' has a 26" inch drop, with about 32" of ice in the deep end. An overlooking deck provides premium viewing at 7 feet above ice level. The crowd, consisting of my wife and daughter, stood the entire 2mins, 14seconds, chanting vulgarities and viciously taunting the visiting team (me). It was an intense atmosphere. Lighting is provided by the dual combo of Husky and Workforce 1500W halogens. Food is OK, when she actually gets off her ass and cooks. Beer is always available, but you have to go get it yourself from the basement fridge. And, bring me one. After the period break, the ice crew (me) gets to work shoveling and then re-watering while the lazy kids, er, "home team" sit inside and enjoy hot chocolate.

Greatest rink ever.

taz

Totally disagree, taz. Atmosphere and crowd support was pretty lame during dull moments of the game, like when you were huffing and puffing your way up the ice. I've had better food served at 2 am at White Castle and the beer was old and skunky. Ice was pretty choppy in spots and too slushy in others.

All in all, still a better place to watch a game than Mariucci Arena.

Totally disagree, taz. Atmosphere and crowd support was pretty lame during dull moments of the game, like when you were huffing and puffing your way up the ice. I've had better food served at 2 am at White Castle and the beer was old and skunky. Ice was pretty choppy in spots and too slushy in others.

All in all, still a better place to watch a game than Mariucci Arena.

No slush this week! I admit, my environmental control system is a bit out of whack. And, the food, I would have thought the frozen pizza from Schwan's to be a big hit! As for skunky beer, that's what you get when you pull an out of date Miller Lite from the back corner of the fridge. Surly Furious and Guinness sit proudly in front!

And, no way should my on ice performance impact my arena score. No way.

Sodbuster: Nope, no escalator. City code BS. But, if I could inlay an image of the Fighting Sioux logo in my driveway, you know I would.

No slush this week! I admit, my environmental control system is a bit out of whack. And, the food, I would have thought the frozen pizza from Schwan's to be a big hit! As for skunky beer, that's what you get when you pull an out of date Miller Lite from the back corner of the fridge. Surly Furious and Guinness sit proudly in front!

Mmmmmmmm :). I'm so glad it's available in East Grand Forks now

I"d just want us to play a game there because their tickets are cheap.

Sodbuster: Nope, no escalator. City code BS. But, if I could inlay an image of the Fighting Sioux logo in my driveway, you know I would.

:0 can they so this with concrete stamping or something like it?????

If you did the Fighting Sioux image thing I would definitely want to come.

I saw the Sioux play at Northeastern-Matthews Arena-about five years ago. That place had an awesome atmosphere! The student section is directly behind and above the visiting goalie and they are very vocal and they have some hilarious cheers, particularly when they play BU, BC, and Harvard! They keep it clean though with their chants, which IMO takes much more talent and creativity than the typical cheers A/K/A, "Insert goalie name here three times followed by YOU SUCK $&@&!!!" All in all, just a really cool old arena (the original Boston Garden and the oldest hockey arena in the world they claim).

IBU = 99. It is quite a lively drink. Have to be careful, they sneak up on you.

I prefer the Overrated more, actually.

I don't feel like looking it up, but has anyone heard anything new about possibly coming back to campus sites for regionals in 2017 and 2018? I know they left those years open for that possibility but I haven't heard anything more

I prefer the Overrated more, actually.

I don't feel like looking it up, but has anyone heard anything new about possibly coming back to campus sites for regionals in 2017 and 2018? I know they left those years open for that possibility but I haven't heard anything more

I believe they left those years open because campus sites were the only ones that applied. It appears they're trying to avoid it, but they gave Notre Dame a regional on campus in 2015? because nobody else in that region applied to host (or so they claim).

I believe they left those years open because campus sites were the only ones that applied. It appears they're trying to avoid it, but they gave Notre Dame a regional on campus in 2015? because nobody else in that region applied to host (or so they claim).

As much as I hate the low attendance at regionals I still like it more than using home rinks.

As much as I hate the low attendance at regionals I still like it more than using home rinks.

Remember all those years when regionals would be on campus? I believe in the late 90's, both DU and CC were number 1 seeds and their rewards were to play Michigan at Yost. I think UND was a 1 seed in '98 and had to play Michigan at Yost as well.

I am sure you do, as you get to host a Regional or Frozen Four 3 out of every 4 years at the X with the current setup. If the X was in East Grand Forks I would feel the same way.

I am sure you do, as you get to host a Regional or Frozen Four 3 out of every 4 years at the X with the current setup. If the X was in East Grand Forks I would feel the same way.

I said home rinks. The X isn't a home rink. I have no problem with home crowd advantages, I have a problem with home ice advantages and there's a huge difference.