SiouxSports.com Forum

Top Stadium "Experiences" -

choyt3

And that's a shame. I'm probably in the minority on this but I'd personally be in favor of all rinks moving to the bigger surface. The Olympic ice sheet gives players more room to make plays. Today's hockey player is simply much larger in size than players in the 1940's and 1950's. Sometimes the 5 on 5 game in the NHL is like watching 10 kids playing in a sandbox.

100% agree with this. Maybe 20 or 30, heck even 15 years ago the smaller ice sheet seemed like a smart choice. But seeing how players have gotten and keep getting bigger and more skilled, I think it's gotten to the point where the larger ice surface would make the game much more wide open and entertaining than it is now. The NHL is always trying to find ways to increase offense, and I think that would make a huge difference

Re: Amsoil. How bad are the obstructed seats behind the bench? There's a bunch open for Feb 21-22 but it's a little scary that the rest of the joint is sold out other then some scattered singles. Anyone have an idea?

I'm guessing those are the seats right behind the bench? If so you'll be looking through and around players, coaches and staff on the bench.

Re: Amsoil. How bad are the obstructed seats behind the bench? There's a bunch open for Feb 21-22 but it's a little scary that the rest of the joint is sold out other then some scattered singles. Anyone have an idea?

I sat there for a game and you can't see when you sit by the side of the bench.

• Upvote 1

Let's get to the bigger question about why Michigan Tech, Northeastern, and Quinnipiac are on the list. I've been to MacInnes but it's nothing special. Tech vs North Dakota...about 3,000 fans there...pretty quiet place. I know during Winter Carnival it is a riot, but in general?

Have you been to a game at Northeastern? It's an iconic arena, the college hockey equivalent of Wrigley Field or Fenway Park. The sightlines are outstanding and the seats in the front rows of the upper deck are probably the closest you will ever get to a game, it's like being right on top of the action. For a perennially average team the atmosphere was very good - active student section and good band, Concessions were solid and cheap, as were souvenirs. The arena is right off the orange line on the T and not far off the green line so very easy to get to. It checks virtually every box for a college hockey experience, definitely worthy of a high rating.

100% agree with this. Maybe 20 or 30, heck even 15 years ago the smaller ice sheet seemed like a smart choice. But seeing how players have gotten and keep getting bigger and more skilled, I think it's gotten to the point where the larger ice surface would make the game much more wide open and entertaining than it is now. The NHL is always trying to find ways to increase offense, and I think that would make a huge difference

If you wanna play on the big ice sheet then play Bandy!

Let's get to the bigger question about why Michigan Tech, Northeastern, and Quinnipiac are on the list. I've been to MacInnes but it's nothing special. Tech vs North Dakota...about 3,000 fans there...pretty quiet place. I know during Winter Carnival it is a riot, but in general?

I'd actually like to go to a game at Quinnipiac if I ever am out that way. I saw one of their games on TV last year and it looked like a fun rink. Granted the game I saw was their rivalry game against Yale and they had like, a "yellow-out" so I might have caught a game at a good time, but it still looked fun. Maybe if I'm ever on the east coast I'll check it out.

• Upvote 1

Have you been to a game at Northeastern? It's an iconic arena, the college hockey equivalent of Wrigley Field or Fenway Park. The sightlines are outstanding and the seats in the front rows of the upper deck are probably the closest you will ever get to a game, it's like being right on top of the action. For a perennially average team the atmosphere was very good - active student section and good band, Concessions were solid and cheap, as were souvenirs. The arena is right off the orange line on the T and not far off the green line so very easy to get to. It checks virtually every box for a college hockey experience, definitely worthy of a high rating.

I have not seen a game there, that's why I was curious. Thanks for the insight.

Basically, rinks like Northeastern, QU, and perhaps Michigan Tech are on the list for the very same reasons we would hope the Old Ralph would've made it if we were still playing there???

Not much for bells and whistles, but man that old barn would rock when the fans made noise!

Thanks, that's what I figured. I'm going to pass on those.

I don't know, I like going to the Amsoil, it's not the RALPH, but the atmosphere is good and you can see on the big screen. I would go if the wife didn't have to work that weekend.