SiouxSports.com Forum

Philip Nelson leaving Minnesota football program

UND-FB-FAN

Former Gopher and Mankato West quarterback Philip Nelson is leaving the Minnesota football program, according to Dan Barreiro. I'd imagine he goes to an FCS program. Would imagine NDSU is in play if they have any doubts on Wentz. Maybe even UND?

@DanBarreiroKFAN: Gophers QB Philip Nelson tells us he is leaving Gophers program. Statement to follow on air.

Former Gopher and Mankato West quarterback Philip Nelson is leaving the Minnesota football program, according to Dan Barreiro. I'd imagine he goes to an FCS program. Would imagine NDSU is in play if they have any doubts on Wentz. Maybe even UND?

@DanBarreiroKFAN: Gophers QB Philip Nelson tells us he is leaving Gophers program. Statement to follow on air.

Not necessarily. I think he has a redshirt to burn, so he can sit out without losing a year of playing time.

Wentz is twice the QB Nelson is.

Wentz is twice the QB Nelson is.

I think people who watch FCS FB are going to be really surprised at what kind of QB has been riding the pine behind Brock at FU.

I would have taken him at UND a couple of years ago in a second.

• Upvote 1

I think people who watch FCS FB are going to be really surprised at what kind of QB has been riding the pine behind Brock at FU.

I would have taken him at UND a couple of years ago in a second.

. Didn't he show interest in UND?

I wonder why, he would have gotten a lot more playing time here It's too bad he went over to the Dark Side.

Well he did win what 3 rings and was the Alex Murran of the Bison for all you BMS fans. Also will be able to start 2 years for a heck of a football team that is the top dog at the school.

Don't feel like quoting and multiple posts.

Have NO interest in Nelson at all. Could he compete for the job at UND? Sure, but I wouldn't say he would win the job outright over what we have.

Could he win the starting job at NDSU? Not likely, I think a lot of NDSU people who are plugged into the program are very excited by having Carson Wentz the next 2 years. By almost all accounts he is a more talented QB than Jensen was....the question is the intangfibles as very few kids are born winners and leaders like Jensen was.

You guys are nuts. Nelson would WALK into the starting job here. Having had success against B1g schools and other FBS programs vs. the FCS schools we face? Come on now, don't be ridiculous.

Nelson and Mollberg were the top 2 QB's out of Mn. their senior yr. Nelson was faster and brought speed to his running games. Mollberg had stronger arm but missed beginning of season and played hurt. Mollberg is better than either of the QB's the Gophers had this yr. Given time and the right scheme so was Bartels. Both of our QB's made some great plays and made some poor decisions. Mollberg is stronger and has the big time arm. Both our kids suffered from play calling that didn't seem to have any strategy and the lack of a running game and poor pass protection. Mollberg can stand in the pocket and make every throw you need. Bartels has to wind up a bit tp make the 40-50 yd throw. Mollberg can create with his ability to run and he can break tackles. Bartels doesn't have that. Nelson has the quickness to escape trouble and in the open has better speed than our guys.dont know who our qb will be next fall but Nelson wouldn't walk into starting job and he would need to be better passer than he was last yr. Both of our guys are as good or better passers and neither had protection. Nelson might emerge as top guy but he would have a battle with both of our guys.

Nelson and Mollberg were the top 2 QB's out of Mn. their senior yr. Nelson was faster and brought speed to his running games. Mollberg had stronger arm but missed beginning of season and played hurt. Mollberg is better than either of the QB's the Gophers had this yr. Given time and the right scheme so was Bartels. Both of our QB's made some great plays and made some poor decisions. Mollberg is stronger and has the big time arm. Both our kids suffered from play calling that didn't seem to have any strategy and the lack of a running game and poor pass protection. Mollberg can stand in the pocket and make every throw you need. Bartels has to wind up a bit tp make the 40-50 yd throw. Mollberg can create with his ability to run and he can break tackles. Bartels doesn't have that. Nelson has the quickness to escape trouble and in the open has better speed than our guys.dont know who our qb will be next fall but Nelson wouldn't walk into starting job and he would need to be better passer than he was last yr. Both of our guys are as good or better passers and neither had protection. Nelson might emerge as top guy but he would have a battle with both of our guys.

You are crazy if you think Molberg is better than either of the guys the Gophers had this year. Just from watching a lot of both play this year I can't agree with that statement especially when you consider the difference in competition level as well. As for Nelson he struggled with accuracy a bunch and was probably lucky he got as many chances as he did. Even though he said the reason for transferring was wanting to pass more which doesn't really make sense because that seemed like his weakest asset many people believe he feared competition and Leidner had already passed him up and the RS Fresh Streeveler may have been gonna pass him up on the depth chart too.

• Upvote 1

You are crazy if you think Molberg is better than either of the guys the Gophers had this year. Just from watching a lot of both play this year I can't agree with that statement especially when you consider the difference in competition level as well. As for Nelson he struggled with accuracy a bunch and was probably lucky he got as many chances as he did. Even though he said the reason for transferring was wanting to pass more which doesn't really make sense because that seemed like his weakest asset many people believe he feared competition and Leidner had already passed him up and the RS Fresh Streeveler may have been gonna pass him up on the depth chart too.

Thus, he wouldn't walk in and have the starting job at UND. Lieder didn't do anything special either. You may be sold on these two Gophers but neither would have played at the Ag School. They would have been behind Johmson and Wentz. I don't think either are better than Mollberg but until you have an OC, O-line and some semblance of running game then it's tough to say. I can say they wouldn't walk in to UND and take qb job from either of our QB's without a battle from Mollberg and Bartels.

Thus, he wouldn't walk in and have the starting job at UND. Lieder didn't do anything special either. You may be sold on these two Gophers but neither would have played at the Ag School. They would have been behind Johmson and Wentz. I don't think either are better than Mollberg but until you have an OC, O-line and some semblance of running game then it's tough to say. I can say they wouldn't walk in to UND and take qb job from either of our QB's without a battle from Mollberg and Bartels.

Haha this must be some sort of joke I think I'll trust recruiting services, Jerry Kill, and many other people who believe the same as me rather than your opinion. Leidner, Nelson, or even Streeveler who they redshirted this year would have played over any NDSU or UND QB. Let me guess NDSU would have beat Minnesota this year too? Jensen was a product of a good team around him but often times that team had to overcome his mistakes.

The AC might very well have beaten the Gophers this year. Gophers were better than they have been in many years so they may have been able to win that game. Im not an AC fan but i would have bet on the AC. I will predict Johnson will get a lot more attention from pro scouts than Leider or Nelson. I disagreed with your goofy statement that Nelson would walk in to job at UND. Didn't say he couldn't win job. Nelson was the obvious recruit out of hs but Gophers, Iowa, and Michigan State all showed interest in Mollberg so if you trust your close friend Jerry Kill then he must be a lot better than you think. Time will tell and I would bet a tidy sum on Mollberg's future given better protection, and improved coaching and surrounding cast.

The AC might very well have beaten the Gophers this year. Gophers were better than they have been in many years so they may have been able to win that game. Im not an AC fan but i would have bet on the AC. I will predict Johnson will get a lot more attention from pro scouts than Leider or Nelson. I disagreed with your goofy statement that Nelson would walk in to job at UND. Didn't say he couldn't win job. Nelson was the obvious recruit out of hs but Gophers, Iowa, and Michigan State all showed interest in Mollberg so if you trust your close friend Jerry Kill then he must be a lot better than you think. Time will tell and I would bet a tidy sum on Mollberg's future given better protection, and improved coaching and surrounding cast.

Gophers probably would have beat NDSU by a couple scores because it would have been tough for NDSU to run the ball and Jensen doesn't win many games having to throw a lot. Jensen is like a worse version of Greg Mcleroy to me and has looked better because of the team around him and makes to many mistakes to be a NFL player. Leidner has a strong arm and has developed into a dual threat and will be a good QB for the Gophers. I think Molberg has potential and do know he had interest from those schools but also never got an offer although some would argue that Iowa only didn't offer because of his injury his SR season. Might be hard for Molberg to really see how much he has progressed because there very well may be less talent on this next Sioux team than last years.

Gophers probably would have beat NDSU by a couple scores because it would have been tough for NDSU to run the ball and Jensen doesn't win many games having to throw a lot. Jensen is like a worse version of Greg Mcleroy to me and has looked better because of the team around him and makes to many mistakes to be a NFL player. Leidner has a strong arm and has developed into a dual threat and will be a good QB for the Gophers. I think Molberg has potential and do know he had interest from those schools but also never got an offer although some would argue that Iowa only didn't offer because of his injury his SR season. Might be hard for Molberg to really see how much he has progressed because there very well may be less talent on this next Sioux team than last years.

Jensen made too many mistakes. Good one.

Sorry to disagree with you, but Nelson is a better overall QB than anyone the Gophers have on the roster. Lieder may have a strong arm but couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. The Gopher fans better get ready for a 4-5 win season after losing Nelson and a few studs from their defense.

You're so full of jealousy over NDSU that it clouds your judgement. Did you watch the KSU game? Do you think KSU would beat the Gophers?

You're so full of jealousy over NDSU that it clouds your judgement. Did you watch the KSU game? Do you think KSU would beat the Gophers?

No jealousy here but I do find it very funny when NDSU thinks they would be top half of the Big 10 or Big 12 because they pull off an upset over a team in that conference that was replacing a lot of guys and yes I do think Minnesota would have beat KSU this season.

Sorry to disagree with you, but Nelson is a better overall QB than anyone the Gophers have on the roster. Lieder may have a strong arm but couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. The Gopher fans better get ready for a 4-5 win season after losing Nelson and a few studs from their defense.

I had high hopes for Nelson but he really never met them and was wildly inconsistent aside from the 4 game conference winning streak although much of it was due to the running game offensively. Leidner performed much better than Nelson throwing the ball and most fans felt he would be the leader to start going into the Spring especially after his strong relief appearance in the bowl game. I would expect Leidner to become a more consistent thrower this season as well but the Gophers will still strongly rely on the run especially if they are able to keep Jeff Jones committed and I would expect at least 6-7 wins next season and a chance to do more damage than that if Leidner can be consistent, the other key for them will be replacing a likely top 2 round pick in Hageman at DT.