SiouxSports.com Forum

2013-2014 Attendance

darell1976

• 1 month later...

Thoughts on the adage "Winning puts fans in the seats" - what does +85 reflect for a team that went from cellar dweller to playing for conference championship? Does it mean attendance at women's games has peaked?

Its nice to see a jump but I was surprised when it was just 85. Hopefully with the sucess of this season and maybe a trip to the dance will put more butts in the seats next season. Being second in the conference is a good thing to think positive.

Thoughts on the adage "Winning puts fans in the seats" - what does +85 reflect for a team that went from cellar dweller to playing for conference championship? Does it mean attendance at women's games has peaked?

There is probably a lower max number for woman's games than men's, but I don't think this represents a peak. Attendance growth often trails the actual winning and shows up the following year. There probably aren't as many people following the team closely after a bad year, so it takes time for the good word to spread. Even teams that win championships often have higher attendance the year after the title than they do the year of the title.

There is probably a lower max number for woman's games than men's, but I don't think this represents a peak. Attendance growth often trails the actual winning and shows up the following year. There probably aren't as many people following the team closely after a bad year, so it takes time for the good word to spread. Even teams that win championships often have higher attendance the year after the title than they do the year of the title.

Hosting the Big Sky tournament and of course winning it would go a long way into bumping up the base number of fans the women draw.

As with all of our sports, getting the students excited about the program would result in a significant lift in attendance. The energy/excitement of another 300-400 students at each game would be great and it would obviously enhance our home court advatage!

For the 2012-2013 season, here are the rankings of the 4 Dakota schools plus the Montana schools and Minnesota for comparison. Not sure what 2013-2014 numbers look like.

33. UMinn - 3,277

36. UMont - 3,048

65. SDSU - 2,029

79. MSU - 1,644

92. UND - 1,469

127. USD - 1,094

175. NDSU - 791

For the 2012-2013 season, here are the rankings of the 4 Dakota schools plus the Montana schools and Minnesota for comparison. Not sure what 2013-2014 numbers look like.

92. UND - 1,469

175. NDSU - 791

Ouch. I know those are last year's numbers but I sure hope the difference between a team WINNING 20+ games and a team LOSING 20+ games is greater than approximately 675 fans. C'mon, Grand Forks...support that women's basketball team!

Ouch. I know those are last year's numbers but I sure hope the difference between a team WINNING 20+ games and a team LOSING 20+ games is greater than approximately 675 fans. C'mon, Grand Forks...support that women's basketball team!

Look at post #10 that darrell put up, apparently it is 833 fans, more than double. And I would guess those numbers are tickets sold, not actual attendance, which makes a big difference.

Look at post #10 that darrell put up, apparently it is 833 fans, more than double. And I would guess those numbers are tickets sold, not actual attendance, which makes a big difference.

That's a little better...sure would be nice to see UND outnumbering that school to the south by 1,000 or more fans per game though.

That's a little better...sure would be nice to see UND outnumbering that school to the south by 1,000 or more fans per game though.

In terms of actual people in attenance, I would guess it is pretty close to that. If the girls lock up the tournament at the Betty and make some noise, I think it will carry over nicely into next year.

In terms of actual people in attenance, I would guess it is pretty close to that. If the girls lock up the tournament at the Betty and make some noise, I think it will carry over nicely into next year.

Agreed. I used to enjoy the women's games more than the men's games back in '88-'92.