SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Olympic Hockey

Ray77

If Phil Kessel wore the "C" and made the comment "Finland played like they had somethin' to win," this place would be demanding that his letter be stripped off his jersey before the team got back to the locker room.

I agree. No apologist for former Sioux Parise here. That was an unacceptable statement. Whether he controls what his team does or not, that just reeks of poor leadership.

Quite frankly, I'm pissed at Team USA. I wouldn't have minded if they to put up a fight and lost a closer game to Finland. Hell, I wouldn't have even minded if some puck luck would have had them beaten by the same score. But, for Christ's sake, you play to win. If you don't, don't bother wearing the colors of your country. Just get the Hell off the ice and don't bother coming to the next games.

I'd rather see the college kids back on the ice representing the USA. They may get beat, but at least they try.

• Upvote 1

It wasn't one guy going elsewhere for more money, it was two guys conspiring to both go to the same team. The top two free agents available in a given offseason should not go to the same team ever in this or any other lifetime. The Wild were essentially trying to become the New York Yankees of hockey. The way that deal went down left a bad taste in my mouth regarding both the Wild as an organization as well as Parise and Suter as individuals. In Parise's case he led the Devils on to believe that he had every intention to stay there. The year before when they were not able to reach an extension they made him the captain and he accepted in a goodwill gesture of both sides being committed to a long term relationship. Then he turned around and stabbed them in the back. The kid had us all fooled into believing he was a class act. I'm not even a Devils fan, but I hate what he did to that organization.

Disagree with you...he has every right to go wherever he wants as a free agent...I did think he would at least go to Detroit or somewhere he had a chance to WIN...the Wild made a blockbuster deal boosting their team all the way up to a borderline playoff team in the Western Conference...

I agree. No apologist for former Sioux Parise here. That was an unacceptable statement. Whether he controls what his team does or not, that just reeks of poor leadership.

Quite frankly, I'm pissed at Team USA. I wouldn't have minded if they to put up a fight and lost a closer game to Finland. Hell, I wouldn't have even minded if some puck luck would have had them beaten by the same score. But, for Christ's sake, you play to win. If you don't, don't bother wearing the colors of your country. Just get the Hell off the ice and don't bother coming to the next games.

I'd rather see the college kids back on the ice representing the USA. They may get beat, but at least they try.

Could not agree more, Hayduke.

As for the earlier comment from another poster, yes, I'd say I saw a HUGE difference between 2010 Parise and 2014 Parise.

I disagree. Canada was hands down the most talented team there, and if they played well no one was going to touch them. Guess what, they played well. The U.S. played well in every pool game, and gave Canada a run, but couldn't get it done. It wasn't for lack of effort or heart. I can't judge anyone for their performance in a third place game when they came for first.

Who on Team USA would even have made Team Canada? Maybe Quick or Suter. Kessel might have that kind of talent, but he's not a Team Canada kind of guy, not physical and not a good enough checker. Ditto for Kane.

Canada could send a "B" team that might medal.

Now the women, that's a different story. The better team lost that one.

Who is this, Don Cherry? :glare:

Back in 2006, Cherry said that Canada could put three teams together and win Gold, Silver and Bronze. Canada went on to finish in seventh place. Would you like to have some ketchup or BBQ sauce to make those words easier to eat? :p

This whole notion that nobody on Team USA would make Team Canada's roster is just pure balderdash. The players on both teams were regulars in the NHL, a good chunk of them All-Star caliber players. If Team USA was that far behind in talent, their team would have been dominated by AHL and ECHL players, with a few college kids thrown in and the game would have been way more lopsided than 1-0. But that wasn't the case, was it? :angry:

Simply put, Olympic teams and IIHF teams often are successful based in large part on the leadership and togetherness the team can muster in a short period of time together. Talent is important, but if that talent doesn't work well together as a team, the results will be disappointing. That is what happened to Team Canada in 2006 and, to a lesser extent, 1998 when they finished 4th (and Team USA shamefully trashed some hotel rooms).

This isn't the 1950's anymore and the NHL is no longer 98% Canadian (or whatever it was back then). Hockey will continue to become more global and more competitive. Team USA will have their chances down the road to win Gold; it just didn't happen this year.

I remember seeing an ad at the end of the Olympics...something about watching the games through the eyes of the players, families, etc. It sounded like they may have had cameras on some of the family members and were going to relive the events as they saw them. Anyone know anything about this and when this would be on TV?

Thanks in advance.

I remember seeing an ad at the end of the Olympics...something about watching the games through the eyes of the players, families, etc. It sounded like they may have had cameras on some of the family members and were going to relive the events as they saw them. Anyone know anything about this and when this would be on TV?

Thanks in advance.

I think it was to be on NBCSN ...

Zach is a class act all the way. To say otherwise is just plain ignorant. You can interpret comments or play tem out of context as much a you'd like and it doesn't change who he is. Also, calling into question his integrity based on a business decision as a free agent? Please. I've had the pleasure of interacting with him off the ice and have seen his graciousness and genuine kindness first hand. I guarantee he was not happy with his or the teams performance.

• Upvote 4

Zach is a class act all the way. To say otherwise is just plain ignorant. You can interpret comments or play tem out of context as much a you'd like and it doesn't change who he is. Also, calling into question his integrity based on a business decision as a free agent? Please. I've had the pleasure of interacting with him off the ice and have seen his graciousness and genuine kindness first hand. I guarantee he was not happy with his or the teams performance.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. The fact that the team lost doesn't change who he is or anything about him. He works his tail off on every shift and every trip up and down the ice.

If Phil Kessel wore the "C" and made the comment "Finland played like they had somethin' to win," this place would be demanding that his letter be stripped off his jersey before the team got back to the locker room.

That would never happen because Kessel is not captain material. Per one of his teammates at MN, they were happy to see him go becuase he was such a jerk regardless of his talent level.

That would never happen because Kessel is not captain material. Per one of his teammates at MN, they were happy to see him go becuase he was such a jerk regardless of his talent level.

And if Kessel had been a Sioux player and Parise been a Gopher, fans here would defend Phil and blast Zach.

And if Kessel had been a Sioux player and Parise been a Gopher, fans here would defend Phil and blast Zach.

I am not so sure about that. If Kessel didn't fit into the mold of a Fighting Sioux and play for the team, he might not have been around as long as he was at MN.

Off the top of my head I cannot recall a Sioux player that stuck around for at least two years that did not put the team and Fighting Sioux first. On the other hand, I can name several Gophers quite easily that in interviews talked about me and I, rather we and the team.

Technically, I think it was Crosby that wanted to clear it with Toews. But I agree about Parise. The most telling quote was him saying that the Finns played like they had something to win. No kidding, buddy. You guys did too. He sounded like Minnesota and the third place game at the Final Five.

Here's my point, 90siouxfan...