SiouxSports.com Forum

I used to like Florida State...

choyt3

All this talk of "tradition" by Musberger, watching them enter the stadium following Renegade (with a white guy and a wig on his back) and the flaming spear, and now the chop and accompanying song makes my stomach hurt.

F U NCAA!!!

And would Musberger retire already?

Think I have to turn this off.

All this talk of "tradition" by Musberger, watching them enter the stadium following Renegade (with a white guy and a wig on his back) and the flaming spear, and now the chop and accompanying song makes my stomach hurt.

F U NCAA!!!

And would Musberger retire already?

Think I have to turn this off.

I don't blame Florida State. The more they show Renegade and the flaming spear, the more it embarrasses the NCAA.

And just be thankful that Alabama isn't in this game...Brent would be busy humping AJ McCarron's girlfriend all night.

• Upvote 1

My Wife: "So they can have this guy ride around with a spear and people doing the tomahawk chop but you guys can't have an Indian head at the center of the ice?"

Me: "yeah...doesn't make much sense does it?"

Makes perfect sense. They got permission. UND didn't unfortunately.....The Utes, The 'Noles, the Illini did, the Chips...all did.

They got approval.... we didn't in time. Sucks though, we had the best logo in sports.

Very proper way of thinking.

How do you miss that horse-collar tackle?

dumb rule. If I was a ref I'd turn an eye to that.

I don't blame Florida State. The more they show Renegade and the flaming spear, the more it embarrasses the NCAA.

And just be thankful that Alabama isn't in this game...Brent would be busy humping AJ McCarron's girlfriend all night.

About a year ago Sports Illustrates named the tradition of Renegade and the flaming spear riding out to mid-field as the best-ever college football tradition.

About a year ago Sports Illustrates named the tradition of Renegade and the flaming spear riding out to mid-field as the best-ever college football tradition.

Shouldn't matter if a school has a tribes permission - either Native American names are racist or they aren't. That's like saying if you get permission from someone you can call them a racist nickname. All the arguments about doing away with Fighting Sioux still hold true to Semnoles, Utes, Aztec, - it's turning a people into a mascot, it demeans a group of people, if only one person feels discriminated by the name then it needs to be changed - plus there are Seminole tribes in Oklahoma that aren't in favor of continuing the nickname.

Undefendable.

• Upvote 2

Exactly.... nothing to do with anything else.

The NCAA borders on being organized crime.

Exactly.

However, I dont' like Florida State. What they do is very disrespectful. The tomahawk chop. The war chant. The white guy on a horse with warpaint. It's a bunch of BS.

It only showcases the hypocrisy of the NCAA.

Makes perfect sense. They got permission. UND didn't unfortunately.....The Utes, The 'Noles, the Illini did, the Chips...all did.

You mean they changed the rules and then changed the rules again when the Oklahoma tribe was not on board and then UND end up with a completely different set of rules. It all make perfect sense. Seriously - you to go talk to your dad again you are confused again.

Is there anyone here that is native american and offended by the Sioux nickname/logo?

I am part Chippewa and have never been offended by Indian logos. My elementary, jr hgh and high school (for a month) had a NA name and logo and I was always proud to be a Warrior/Redskin.

• Upvote 1

Actually I was considering contacting Archie Fool Beer about the FU football player that is tweeting "Sioux Suck" since the name no longer applies to UND it is a racist tweek targeting a specific ethnic group.

One of the arguments for UND being forced to change the name was they (opponents of the name) didn't like non-UND fans shouting Sioux Suck at athletic events (even though we all know they meant the team not the people). Well there is no team called Sioux so they must be talking about the people now. You don't hear UND fans shouting Farmers Suck or Aggies Suck (both referring to NDSU's former nicknames).

They got permission because they give a ton of money to the Semilole tribe in Florida. I know they only had to get approval from the closest tribe but about 90% of Seminoles live in Oklahoma.

Shouldn't matter if a school has a tribes permission - either Native American names are racist or they aren't. That's like saying if you get permission from someone you can call them a racist nickname. All the arguments about doing away with Fighting Sioux still hold true to Semnoles, Utes, Aztec, - it's turning a people into a mascot, it demeans a group of people, if only one person feels discriminated by the name then it needs to be changed - plus there are Seminole tribes in Oklahoma that aren't in favor of continuing the nickname.

Undefendable.

Actually, the Seminole tribes in Oklahoma came out in favor of Florida State using the name also. There was an early report that they were against it. It turned out to be 1 guy who was an official with one of the tribes. The official position of the tribes was in favor of using the nickname. As far as I know, the Oklahoma tribes don't get any money from Florida State.

At some point in the future the NCAA will revisit the issue and will go after Florida State and the others. We are seeing heavy pressure put on the Washington Redskins right now. It will continue in the future.